eeep my pc wont boot

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

srolesen

eeep my pc wont boot

Post by srolesen » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:53 pm

i pressed the powerbutten and NOTHING happens, and i cant figure out why.

i really need help because i'm stuck here and have to make school papers.

hardware:
PSU: Chill inovation 400P2 400W
MB: A8n-sli deluxe
RAM corsair 2x1GB dual channel, undervolted
CPU: athlon64 3000+ undervolted to 0.9 volt
GFX: X800GT, underclocked

i noticed a few times the last year that if i turned on the computer and then quickly killed it by pressing the powerbutten again it wouldnt turn on again for a while, but i didnt really think about it too much (stupid, i know) now i turned it on and accidently pressed the powerbutten again and it wont turn on at all!

the led on MB is green, i tried removing everything except ram and cpu.
and i tried to short the green and black wire on the psu, it can turn on and power fans.

now i dont know what to do, maybe i ruined something by undervolting, it's the second asus MB that's stopped working within 2 years :S

please help

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:21 pm

It sounds like either a power supply failure or a motherboard failure. My last failed psu gave the same signs as you are describing. Powering on sometimes doesn't work. It's a good idea to keep a spare psu lying around for testing purposes. If replacing the psu makes no difference then it's probably either a problem in the motherboard or even your power button.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:02 am

Hi,

I'd say it is the motherboard: try resetting the BIOS (sometimes this takes 30-40 minutes!) and then restart it. I had this happen, and I tried different power supplies, but only after I replaced the motherboard did it work right.

srolesen

Post by srolesen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:00 am

widowmaker wrote:It sounds like either a power supply failure or a motherboard failure.
i'm thinking the same thing.
widowmaker wrote:My last failed psu gave the same signs as you are describing. Powering on sometimes doesn't work.
my psu is apperently a dogdy brand, i thought it was a high quality brand when i bought it, but now i search for reviews and it has since gotten very bad reviews apart from the review i read. the site with the good review have now decided to help the danish designer of this psu (i'm danish too) design a psu that doesnt burst into flames, they say the chineese manufactorer has a guy walking around, hired by Chill inovation, just to make quality control.
when i bought that psu i was thinking why not support danish guy's trying to make some qualty now i realize the danish company is probably just producing marketing and i feel a little bit stiffed :s
widowmaker wrote: If replacing the psu makes no difference then it's probably either a problem in the motherboard or even your power button.
I dont have an extra PSU lying around, so i cant test that, but i tried to short the power pins directly on the motherboard with no reaction.

thx for replying so quickly!

srolesen

Post by srolesen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:31 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

I'd say it is the motherboard: try resetting the BIOS (sometimes this takes 30-40 minutes!) and then restart it. I had this happen, and I tried different power supplies, but only after I replaced the motherboard did it work right.
1: thanks, i didnt know resetting the bios could take that long, i'll try that.
edit: it didnt help:(
2: yeah i allso think it's the motherboard that's busted, maybe i should get a new psu because i had another motherboard go bad like a year ago (A8N-E, allso asus)
and i have an asus phone where the headphone jack popped inside the cabine and now i cant talk in because it's locked in headphone profile... maybe it's best to avoid asus next time ?

srolesen

Post by srolesen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:41 pm

ok i'm getting a new motherboard and psu for good meassure, maybe this setup is better :)

:arrow: motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
:arrow: PSU: Enermax PRO82+ EPR425AWT 425W
:arrow: cpu: Core 2 Duo E8500
:arrow: GeIL Value Series DDR2 Dual Channel Kit - Hukommelse - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2 - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.8V

is this good for a low power/noise setup ?
does it matter if ram is 1,8 V or more ?
what cooler is good, wich one do you all use ?

sorry for all my questions i hope it's not too much trouble to find answers
regards simon