6 Drive Raid - Antec P182 Suitable Case?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psych

6 Drive Raid - Antec P182 Suitable Case?

Post by psych » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:08 am

Hi Guys,

My Current 7 Year old PC is just about to bite the dust, so I've decided to take the plunge and build myself a new one, but I would like it to be aas quiet as reasonably possible without affecting stability.
I'm looking to have a 5 x 1.5TB Seagate RAID5 Setup, with a Samsung 1TB F1 as a system drive. This way I won't have to worry about disk space for quite a while. I'd be running all this on a Intel P45 board of some sort (not decided which), with 4GB DDR2 Ram, not sure about the processor (doesn't need to be crazy powerful - a recent 45mm Core 2 Duo chip with a low TDP) I'd be cooling this with something like the Scythe Ninja/ThermalRight HR-01P/Xigmatek HDT-S1283/4) and a Radeon 4850, probably with the Accelero S1 R2 fitted.
I was looking at the P182 as a case to house this, but was wondering if it would be suitable. If not, any other cases to recommend? or any comments?

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:28 pm

A P182 should do a decent job. My new workstation is in a P182 and currently has two RAID 1 arrays in the lower drive compartment. The upper drive compartment is currently empty as I am keeping it for any needed physical expansion.

System details can be found HERE

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:22 am

P182 will do the job easily. There however might some troubles when using long card like HD 4850 as top chambers HDD places are line with 99% of the motherboard's PCI-E slots... You're best bet it to prepeare mount your 2 HDD's into 5,25" slots if you want to use HD 4850... especially with Accelero.

Using sortobane pads or Scythe QuietDrive might be good enough albeit doesn't kill vibrations.