Media PC build - feedback appreciated

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

craigpardey

Media PC build - feedback appreciated

Post by craigpardey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a media PC for my living room. I already have a PVR so I won't be using it as a TiVo box, but I may use it to watch DVDs and perhaps Blu-Ray in the future.

It's primary purpose will be playing my music collection through my Squeezebox & home theatre, as well as serving as a file server for the home network.

I want to make it as low-power and low-noise as possible, while still keeping costs low ... around $700 CAD.

Here's what I have so far:
  • Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08B
    Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050E Dual Core (45W)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja
    Hard drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB (7200RPM, Notebook Drive)
    Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2X2GB DDR2-800 240PIN DIMM Memory
    Case fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM
    Power Supply: PICO PSU-120
    CD/DVD Drive: LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW
    Card reader: USBFever
I'm not sure about the notebook drive. It's only going to be for the operating system, so I wonder if I can get away with a smaller 5400RPM drive (save a few bucks).

I'll also be installing a 500Gb Seagate drive that already has all my media on it. I'll swap it out for a WD Caviar Green or something if it proves to be too noisy.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Re: Media PC build - feedback appreciated

Post by JoeWPgh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 pm

You could probably get away with a Mini Ninja and still keep it passive.

I played around with the WD 320 Black, and found it to feel no faster in everyday use than the 5400rpm WD 500 Blue. The 500 Blue is slower on spec and $20 more. But, if you're going to run this as a server off of a 120w Pico, I'd go with the largest notebook drives I could get, to keep the future number of drives down. I'm sure the 320 Black would test out faster, but in normal use, it's negligible. Meanwhile, for the extra $20, the 500 Blue gives you ~50% more storage.
craigpardey wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking about building a media PC for my living room. I already have a PVR so I won't be using it as a TiVo box, but I may use it to watch DVDs and perhaps Blu-Ray in the future.

It's primary purpose will be playing my music collection through my Squeezebox & home theatre, as well as serving as a file server for the home network.

I want to make it as low-power and low-noise as possible, while still keeping costs low ... around $700 CAD.

Here's what I have so far:
  • Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08B
    Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050E Dual Core (45W)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja
    Hard drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB (7200RPM, Notebook Drive)
    Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2X2GB DDR2-800 240PIN DIMM Memory
    Case fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM
    Power Supply: PICO PSU-120
    CD/DVD Drive: LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW
    Card reader: USBFever
I'm not sure about the notebook drive. It's only going to be for the operating system, so I wonder if I can get away with a smaller 5400RPM drive (save a few bucks).

I'll also be installing a 500Gb Seagate drive that already has all my media on it. I'll swap it out for a WD Caviar Green or something if it proves to be too noisy.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Just my $0.02, but I wouldn't spend money on a laptop drive just for the OS. If a separate drive exclusively for the OS is a must, I'd consider getting a new (anything that isn't affected by the jmicron controller issue) SSD. You can get 30GB ones for about the same amount as the laptop drive you suggested, which should be more than enough for the OS and core apps, and should be a lot snappier.

Alternatively, if budgeting is an issue, I'd just get one larger, quiet drive for everything and carve out a separate small partition for the OS. As JoeWPgh commented above, keeping the number of mechanical drives down should be your focus for both power and acoustic reasons...

craigpardey

Post by craigpardey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 am

Thanks for the feedback - I'll definitely switch to a single larger drive and just partition off the OS.

craigpardey

Post by craigpardey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:13 am

Two more questions:
- Will the Pico PSU essentially leave a big hole in the back of the case where the power supply would be?
- Will I need additional connectors for the PSU?

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 am

craigpardey wrote: Two more questions:
- Will the Pico PSU essentially leave a big hole in the back of the case where the power supply would be?
Yes, unless you keep the case's unused PSU in place. You'll also need to drill a hole for the socket that receives the power brick's input. The Pico's lead for this is fairly short and may need to be extended.
craigpardey wrote: - Will I need additional connectors for the PSU?
You'll need a molex/PSU power adaptor, and quite likely a molex
Y' adaptor.
Beyond that, it really depends on what you install. You may need a 2nd molex 'Y' and a molex/SATA adaptor. If you can find an adaptor to bring the floppy power to something, that would be a plus.

craigpardey

Post by craigpardey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Hmm ... sounds like the Pico PSU isn't exactly a pretty solution and would probably rate poorly on the WAF (wife approval factor).

Maybe I'll just go for a quiet, high-efficiency ATX supply like the Seasonic S12-330

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:36 pm

Once you buy a power brick the PicoPSU costs about the same as a good SPCR type ATX PSU. Yes its more efficient than most at the low wattages (around 85-87%), but a good 300-400w unit will still have 80-82% efficiency in the sub 100w area, which only amounts to a few extra watts of wastage, not anything noticeable. And i find the pico is still somewhat limited on the cable front.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:05 pm

Another downside for the Pico, at least in my case, is that the brick's fan spins up around 80 watts, as measured by a kill-a-watt. This doesn't happen all that often, but when it does, it's louder than any of my other 4 PSU fans.