New computer build, mostly used as media server.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

footfukinmasta

New computer build, mostly used as media server.

Post by footfukinmasta » Thu May 21, 2009 10:26 am

I'm ready to retire my intel P4 single core for something up to date and more efficient.

I have been looking on Newegg at the hardware I need and had some questions for you guys. I have been looking at AMD since I have been hearing they use less power.

When looking at new dual core cpu's and they give the thermal power, is looking at the lowest wattage cpu the best way to go about this?

Does mobo matter when it comes to power usage?

I'm not looking to make the lowest power pc i can.

thanks

WilliamMGeorge
-- Vendor --

Post by WilliamMGeorge » Thu May 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Looking at thermal output (wattage) of chips can help, and is usually a good indication of how hot they will run and how much power they draw. It can be a bit deceiving, though, as AMD and Intel measure differently. I'd look at a few platforms that interest you and then search for reviews of them that give more detailed info.

If you are going for low wattage specifically, consider the new nVidia Ion (a nVidia chipset/GPU with Intel's Atom processor) as well as low-wattage dual-cores from AMD and Intel. I'm running a 45W AMD, but to be honest I don't have actual power usage info since I have no way to test that at home.

jessekopelman

Re: New computer build, mostly used as media server.

Post by jessekopelman » Thu May 21, 2009 6:20 pm

footfukinmasta wrote: Does mobo matter when it comes to power usage?
Very much so, at least in regards to idle power consumption. Idle is also the area where AMD outperforms Intel. Intel is actually far more efficient at full load (most PC spend 90% of their uptime at idle, though).

To me the real question of Intel vs. AMD hinges on how much money you want to spend. For low the low end of the price spectrum AMD (and especially AMD compatible motherboards) are a better value. If $150-200 for a MB+CPU sounds about right to you, AMD is what you want. If you wouldn't think twice to spend $200+, you are probably better of going Intel. Basically, the more money you want to spend the better Intel looks and vice versa.

footfukinmasta

Post by footfukinmasta » Fri May 22, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks for the info guys.
I did look at that new Nvidia Ion, but didn't know about going with something so new.

Money isnt really an issue with me. I just noticed when searching CPU's on newegg the thermal power on quad core's is more than twice as much than the dual cores. I'm sure its because its quad cores, but I figured quad is more than what I need. When your talking about spending more on a CPU are you referring to a quad or a dual core?

fuji0030

Post by fuji0030 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:08 am

If you are traveling for low wattage specifically, accede the new nVidia Ion (a nVidia chipset/GPU with Intel's Atom processor) as able-bodied as low-wattage dual-cores from AMD and Intel. I'm active a 45W AMD, but to be honest I don't accept absolute ability acceptance advice back I accept no way to analysis that at home.