Blown motherboard after case upgrade?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nik7304

Blown motherboard after case upgrade?

Post by Nik7304 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 am

Needed a new case and PSU, so got myself a P183 with the CP-850. All very nice.

Spent a few hours today moving everything over to the new case. Switched it on and itgot stuck on the POST screen. Hmmm... Reset it, started ok but the rear system fan wasn't moving. Switched off, opened it up, everything seemed ok. Tried the fan in another molex, worked ok. Tried another fan in the sys_fan slot, nothing. Hmmm... Switched on again, now nothing happens. HDs whirr a bit, then stop. Monitor says its got no signal.

Have I blown my motherboard? Or am I just a muppet? Or a muppet who's blown his motherboard?

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 am

did you ground yourself while handling your mobo?? as in using an ESD strap or at least touching a grounded peice of metal before hand?

if the answer is no..you MAY have shocked one of the chips controlling that fan header..and ur lucky u didnt shock anything more important

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 am

do you have a speaker plugged into the motherboard, so you can hear the beeps during post?

unplug as much as you can on the motherboard, and see if it posts then... stuff like the hdd, dvd, etc.

Redzo

Re: Blown motherboard after case upgrade?

Post by Redzo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:13 am

Nik7304 wrote:Needed a new case and PSU, so got myself a P183 with the CP-850. All very nice.

Spent a few hours today moving everything over to the new case. Switched it on and itgot stuck on the POST screen. Hmmm... Reset it, started ok but the rear system fan wasn't moving. Switched off, opened it up, everything seemed ok. Tried the fan in another molex, worked ok. Tried another fan in the sys_fan slot, nothing. Hmmm... Switched on again, now nothing happens. HDs whirr a bit, then stop. Monitor says its got no signal.

Have I blown my motherboard? Or am I just a muppet? Or a muppet who's blown his motherboard?
Make sure you are not shorting the mobo by letting it touch chassis. To check if its shorting out just use the motherboard outside of box on something not conductive. If it works then you forgot to use those "spacers" in all the right places and the board is shorting out.

EDIT
This typical misstake ppl make when they change cases. They just "asume" that new case has spacers in all the right places to begin with. Most of the time it's just matter of removing/ading spacer but sometimes these little misstakes kill motherboards.
Not all boards are the same nor do they have holes for screws in same places

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:52 am

danimal wrote:do you have a speaker plugged into the motherboard, so you can hear the beeps during post?

unplug as much as you can on the motherboard, and see if it posts then... stuff like the hdd, dvd, etc.
No beep, everything plugged or unplugged.

Redzo: checked the standoffs. Had to add a couple, so they're all covered.

So looks like C: muppet who's blown his motherboard... Oh well, it's only an old mATX which was due to be replaced anyway. Will just have to do nothing until October...

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:41 am

dang, that case/ps is too nice to just sit unused all summer.

it may not have been anything that you did, i've seen motherboards get flakey and die like that.

just for drill... there is no speaker in the p183, so the only way that you'd hear a post code is if you plugged in a speaker that you added, or the mb had a little speaker onboard, which many mb's do not have these days.

another thing you can try doing is resetting the bios, there is a jumper on the mb for that purpose... just short it across for about 30 seconds, then put it back.

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:30 pm

danimal wrote:dang, that case/ps is too nice to just sit unused all summer.

it may not have been anything that you did, i've seen motherboards get flakey and die like that.

just for drill... there is no speaker in the p183, so the only way that you'd hear a post code is if you plugged in a speaker that you added, or the mb had a little speaker onboard, which many mb's do not have these days.

another thing you can try doing is resetting the bios, there is a jumper on the mb for that purpose... just short it across for about 30 seconds, then put it back.
Thanks, it is a nice case. :)

The mobo does have a speaker on it. Got a beep and it started, seemingly ok. Didn't have anything plugged in though. Restarted it, and again nothing. Could there be something shorting it out somewhere?

Tried resetting the BIOS as well, btw.

Edit: And now it's working again, except for the system fan. Took the back panel off. Backing up everything while it's here...

Matija

Post by Matija » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Have you connected the dedicated +12V to the motherboard?

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:14 am

Matija wrote:Have you connected the dedicated +12V to the motherboard?
Yes, it's connected. It seems to work intermittently.

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 am

How strange...

Check the PCI(-E) cards once again and maybe clean the contacts.

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 am

Matija wrote:How strange...

Check the PCI(-E) cards once again and maybe clean the contacts.
AGP. :D It's an old'un.

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 am

Right. Think we can leave this one now. Thanks to those who posted.

Have just done a major test, ripped everything out, had the mobo on a piece of cardboard on the floor and ran through everything. Tried using my old whiny PSU as well. Still dead as a dodo. Stuck it all back together again, just to get it out of the way more than anything. I think we can conclude this is an ex-motherboard and it's not just pining for the fjords any more.

I've had a PC for the last fifteen years, will be difficult to have to live three or four months without one (First World issues...).

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:49 am

If you had enough money for a P183 and a new PSU, you have enough for a replacement (used) motherboard - I'm quite sure that getting such an old one would set you back five quid or so.

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:52 am

Matija wrote:If you had enough money for a P183 and a new PSU, you have enough for a replacement (used) motherboard - I'm quite sure that getting such an old one would set you back five quid or so.
I'm trying, but finding a S478 AGP motherboard is proving mighty difficult. The ones I found are either PCI-E or missing something like SATA or front USB or the memory timings are wrong so I'd need new memory as well (not expensive, but just a hassle).

The money for the P183 and CP-850 came from selling stuff from my Star Wars collection, so I don't have money just lying around. The upgrade later this year will be financed the same way. If I don't raise enough, there's no upgrade.

Oddly enough, the PC starts occassionally now. I get maybe an hour or two out of it every day, so will have to live with that.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm

odd situation...i have similar issues with my older sisters computer

if you take the motherboard out of the case, and put it on a piece of wood or cardboard, and you just wire up everything you need for it to run, such as graphics, HD, PSU, KB/M...does it start? before anything else, i'd suggest checking the capacitors, one might have blown, and if you're feeling adventurous, you could go to a local electronics store, buy a match, and replace it (my father and i have done this a few times, with LCD monitors and motherboards). it's incredibly cheap, and usually becomes a permanent fix.

Nik7304

Post by Nik7304 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 am

Tried it outside the case, both with the current PSU and my old one, and won't work with either.

Problem is, I wouldn't know how to check a capacitor, much less change one. I'd be very reluctant to take a soldering iron to a motherboard. I'd probably end up doing more damage if anything.