Woops. Thermalright Ultra 120 xtreme - which way to fan?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GB Crush

Woops. Thermalright Ultra 120 xtreme - which way to fan?

Post by GB Crush » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:37 am

Hey. Haven't been around for a while...since all my systems have been running well (thanks to you guys). Mostly.

Recently, one of my systems has given up the ghost, so I took the opportunity to salvage some parts and put them in a half new build:

I've got a Gigabyte AM3 motherboard now, and a Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme that's about to go into a P183. That's when the woops occurred.

I just realized after mounting the CPU heatsink that the Thermalright Ultra 120 now sits in a bottom-> top airflow orientation instead of a front-> back airflow orientation.

It's not the end of the world. At least to me it doesnt seem worth ordering a new CPU cooler, waiting for it and going to the trouble of remounting. Am I correct?

So if I can live with this, which way should the fan blow? My gut instinct was to have the fan blow from bottom -> top, catching the cooler air coming in from the fornt of the case and blowing it out the top vent/back 120mm fan.

But I realize this means I will share the air that's from around the Video Card.... :S

Since the P183 has those funky grill holes at the top rear of the case...do you think I should switch the fan orientation and have it blow from top -> bottom? (I am going to remove the top-mounted fan anyway, since it's too noisy).

Your thoughts, wise, cooling people?

Thanks,
GB Crush

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm about to buy a new motherboard myself and noticed the same thing: CPU and mounting has turned 90 degrees.
I think I will buy an S-clip for the Thermalright, so it can face in the same direction as before.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... ories.html scroll down a fair bit.
Installing S-clip

Redzo

Re: Woops. Thermalright Ultra 120 xtreme - which way to fan?

Post by Redzo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:31 pm

GB Crush wrote:
Since the P183 has those funky grill holes at the top rear of the case...do you think I should switch the fan orientation and have it blow from top -> bottom? (I am going to remove the top-mounted fan anyway, since it's too noisy).
That configuration should give you lower CPU temps then bottom->top. And since warm air rises it should leave case too (assuming that you don't close that top vent)