New HTPC using Asus Xonar D2X

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Eyor

New HTPC using Asus Xonar D2X

Post by Eyor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Great forum.

I'm planning on building a new HTPC using an ASUS XONAR D2X. So far that's pretty much the only component I've got, it sounds great but uses quite a bit of power.

This will be hooked up to my existing stereo system and LCD TV. I think I'll use the optical out of the Xonar to attach to my Amp and HDMI to attach to the TV but am open to suggestions. I'm primarily planning on using this as a digital music/media server. Needless to say I'd like this to be as quiet as possible since it will always be on and system noise may interfere with the audio.

My budget for the other components is about $500 - $800 (hope that's a reasonable budget for such a system). I'm thinking I'd like to pick the case first, any case recommendations?

For storage, is there a noise difference for internal vs external HDD's? My preference would be internal of course but if this adds to much vibration/noise I'm willing to go external.

Eyor

Update

Post by Eyor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Ok, so looking at some of the sponsored builds...I'm inspired to make a wood case for myself since I already have the wood tools I need, I just need to gather the dimensions. I'll likely make this out of Hard Maple since I've got some large pieces I haven't used.

So...what's recommended for MOBO that will take the Asus Xonar D2X (note this requires a PCIe x 1 and a floppy power connection). Does it matter if I use a full size MOBO or a mini as far as sound goes?

Fans?

PSU?

Thanks very much for any help.

Eyor

Moving along

Post by Eyor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Ok, so I think I've come close to the dimensions I'm planning and got some of the components settled.

Dimensions: 6"x18"x16"
PSU: SeaSonic X650
Case Fans: 4 Noctua NF-S12B ULN 120mm

As this is a HTPC it will be laying on the 18"x16" portion with the 6" as the height.

I'm planning on placing two fans on two opposing sides of the case, one flowing in and one flowing out on each side, to create a 'X' shaped flow in the case. This may be overkill but, since only the sides (no vents in the top/botom) will have airflow this seems a safe way to go.

Having some trouble settling on the MOBO/CPU as I'm not sure what the advantages are to the different MOBO sizes or CPU's and would greatly appreciate some help in this regard.

What form factor is better from a silence perspective, ATX, Micro-ATX etc? can't seem to find much info on that. Is this an arbitrary decision (i.e. minimal impact) ?

I've only ever worked with ATX before so don't know much about the other form factors.

kopilu

Post by kopilu » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:56 am

i have the exact soundcard on a asus m2n dh,but that is out of production.My advice is (if you go with amd) to opt for asus M4A785-HTPC/RC.It's a matx mobo that has everything you need for a music(htpc) pc:including a remote. The board is reviewd by spcr and has good power specs and decent integrated gpu that will allow you to watch 1080p movies. As I am an AMD fan,I've only had amd mobos,so I'm not able to give you any advice on intel mobos for a htpc.

Good luck with your build

Eyor

Post by Eyor » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the suggestion.. Unfortunately, this card doesn't seem to be available in the US.

Here's what I'm currently thinking:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX, currently on sale on Newegg.

Along with a Antec Mult-Station Premier Deluxe IR receiver and remote, for the remote access capabilities.

I'll likely go with a Sempron to keep the power consumption down.