Fanless PSU in a Custom built furniture

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

antonio

Fanless PSU in a Custom built furniture

Post by antonio » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 am

Dear all,

I am Building a piece of furniture to hold all the media devices I ended up owning, and I need it quiet for the slow European introspective films my lady likes to enjoy.

I already have
suspended the drives
replaced the CPU fan with a bigger, slower, quieter one

But I can not decide if going fanless for the PSU. I was completely decided and with a proper bunch of money on my hand to storm the shop for a silverstone ST40NF (or a ST30NF which is 20€ cheaper) but I did some research in this forum (a lot) and now I don't see it so clear.

My components are quite old but reliable:

Intel motherboard socket 478 865PE+ICH5
Intel P4 2.8 N
Nvidia FX5200
Soundblaster 5.1
2 DDR DIMM
3 HDD 7.200
CD-DVD-RW
WIFI PCI card

The most juice I get from them is an occasional heavy duty Photoshop work.

No wind in the room (generally) and temperature in summer can get up to 35C (Once I recorded 41C, really bad summer)

My previous experience with quiet PSU was that they stay quiet for some month, 16 the most, then there is mayhem. That's why I wanted to go PSU fanless commando whatsoever.

Any suggestions on the fanless option? On the setup of the system in general? On my lack of taste in movies?

Thanks in advance

Antonio[/img]

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Get a BeQuiet PurePower unit (they are available even at a low 300w), it's not an overpriced piece of hardware like the Silverstone Nightjar, and still quiet enough to be considered inaudible. My personal experience with the brand is really, really good: even with the small 80mm fan that is equipped in my TFX power supply it's still quiet by SPCR standards, and my friends have to stick their ears on the units I assembled them to hear any fan noise. :P

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Fanless PSU in a Custom built furniture

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 pm

antonio wrote:My previous experience with quiet PSU was that they stay quiet for some month, 16 the most, then there is mayhem. That's why I wanted to go PSU fanless commando whatsoever.
What do you mean? any idea why?
Any suggestions on the fanless option? On the setup of the system in general? On my lack of taste in movies?
The silverstone is by far the best I know of.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silverstone_ST45NF_PSU

As for you movie choices, you already blamed your lady on this, didn't you? ;)

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:37 pm

antonio wrote:Image
Is that a bare motherboard on the top left?

antonio

Post by antonio » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Is that a bare motherboard on the top left?
Indeed. I was bored to draw the heatsink, fan and pci cards.

antonio

Post by antonio » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:58 pm

MikeC wrote:What do you mean? any idea why?
I suppose bad quality (I was young, inexpert and quite poor) and probably dust and dirt. I live in a dirty city with no rain at all. I use a vacuum in the case from time to time to keep dust at bay.
As for you movie choices, you already blamed your lady on this, didn't you? ;)
D'oh!

antonio

Post by antonio » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Parappaman wrote:Get a BeQuiet PurePower unit (they are available even at a low 300w), it's not an overpriced piece of hardware like the Silverstone Nightjar, and still quiet enough to be considered inaudible.
Does it stay quiet after, say, two years of duty?

At that price it's worth considering. It will go on my list of "options after the imposibility of a fanless solution".

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Actually the recently reviewed Nexus and Enermax PSUs are very quiet -- and not too pricey.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Parappaman wrote:Get a BeQuiet PurePower unit (they are available even at a low 300w):P
I was all set to get a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 450W but there are several people in these forums that have said that they use poor quality components and don't last long... so I got a Corsair VX450 - SPCR recommended - in the end. It's not as quiet as I thought it would be.