pfSense router - small Sandy Bridge?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

k0nane

pfSense router - small Sandy Bridge?

Post by k0nane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 am

Hello folks! I've lurked here for a couple of weeks - this is my first post. Long story short, I'm building a pfSense box to serve as a new router. I don't have a rack, so 1U configurations are out. I've settled on mini-ITX. I have two possible builds. The first is Sandy Bridge-based.
I already have a new HD to use.

However, after doing a lot of reading and consideration, I decided to look at something Atom-based. (Ugh!) I don't particularly like Atom, as it's slow, and price approaches that of low-end "real CPUs", while getting 1/4th to 1/5th of the performance. But with that in mind...

Some thoughts on what this second build changes:
Advantages:
- size
- noise (100% silent)
- all solid-state
- power usage (not very important to me but useful for keeping network on UPS for long periods)
- DC-DC PSU built into mobo (very cool)

Disadvantages:
- almost as expensive as my initial build
- over 4x slower CPU
- crazy slow and small storage
But tonight, I came across a new (to me) item that throws a wrench in my ideas. That would be the Intel DH61AG. The DH61AG has the following advantages:

- almost as small as the DN2800MT
- retains the SODIMM slots (I have 2x2gb DDR3 SODIMMs already)
- retains the mSATA port
- has an inbuilt DC-DC converter

It would be easy to stuff the DH61AG into the MI-008, but impossible to get it into the M350, or even M300, while keeping my PCIe NIC. I've considered AMD Fusion (not much faster), Nano X2 (see previous), and boards like the S1200KP (dual NICs, but otherwise no advantage over existing board). None of these options, except the S1200KP which is disadvantageous, allow me Intel NICs, let alone dual Intel NICs.

So, what now? Should I go Atom? (I really prefer not to.) Or is there a way to get the DH61AG and a PCIe NIC into a case smaller than the MI-008? Depth is what matters to me most - 12", the approximate depth of the 008, is about my limit.

Thanks for reading!

particleman

Re: pfSense router - small Sandy Bridge?

Post by particleman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:38 am

I am running a router/server off a DH61AG and M350 case. I solved the 2nd ethernet port problem by using a USB ethernet adapter. My gigabit USB ethernet adapter is USB 2.0 which would technically limit it to 480 Mbit/s, so I use the USB ethernet adapter for my WAN port since my internet connection is no where close to 480 Mbit/s. I doubt any home user or even %99.99 of businesses will have a WAN connection faster than 480 Mbit/s.

But, if the system is only going to be used as a router, an Atom should provide enough processing grunt in most instances. I find the processing power to be useful mainly for other tasks like media server transcoding.

k0nane

Post by k0nane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:50 am

particleman wrote:I am running a router/server off a DH61AG and M350 case. I solved the 2nd ethernet port problem by using a USB ethernet adapter. My gigabit USB ethernet adapter is USB 2.0 which would technically limit it to 480 Mbit/s, so I use the USB ethernet adapter for my WAN port since my internet connection is no where close to 480 Mbit/s. I doubt any home user or even %99.99 of businesses will have a WAN connection faster than 480 Mbit/s.
The problem with the 480mbit figure is that it's theoretical - one may not even get 1/4th of that at times. I need something that I can GUARANTEE will route 100mbit all day. That's also why I insist on Intel NICs - Realtek ones have a reputation for being, well, crap.

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 am

There's an affordable Intel Atom board with 2 NIC, and apparently decent ones to boot: D2500CC
If your case does not come with a power supply, you'll need a pico which might make this more expensive than a DN2800MT. But if you need 2 NICs, I think it's a good tradeoff.

I wouldn't use a mainstream CPU for a small router.

particleman

Post by particleman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:25 am

I've performed various tests on USB 2.0 hard drives and network adapters and I've found that the real world varies between 20-30MB/s which is equals 160-240 Mbit/s. I have found that ethernet usually has more overhead and real world performance loss than USB, but neither have any difficulty staying above 100 mbit, unless you have really bad cabling.
k0nane wrote:The problem with the 480mbit figure is that it's theoretical - one may not even get 1/4th of that at times. I need something that I can GUARANTEE will route 100mbit all day. That's also why I insist on Intel NICs - Realtek ones have a reputation for being, well, crap.
Last edited by particleman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

washu

Post by washu » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:38 am

particleman wrote:I need something that I can GUARANTEE will route 100mbit all day. That's also why I insist on Intel NICs - Realtek ones have a reputation for being, well, crap.
Realtek NICs are not great, but the gig PCIe ones are much improved over the older ones. They will have no problem with 100mbit. 100mbit is easy even for a crappy NIC. I get about 900mbit out of one with an Atom CPU.