Troubleshooting noisy fan?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ckellmeyer

Troubleshooting noisy fan?

Post by ckellmeyer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:32 am

Looking for advice before opening up my rig to track down fan noise. Thought i would bounce this off the experts. This forum group gave me excellent advice in building the rig, thanks!

Problem seems to be at low/idle fan speeds (which is most the time), one of the fans is making a annoying repetitive sound. could be something loose or fan out of balance maybe. My approach was going to be to hopefully isolate to which fan (i think its one of 2 front input fans), but then what do it do? just replace it or any suggestions to "fix" it.

Air flow/cooling is 2 front input 140 mm (stock fans with case); then a 140 push on the thermalright macho heatsink and a 140 output (on other side of heatsink) (both these are identical thermalright PWM's). I used ASUS fan expert 2 for fan profiles.

i am guessing i will end up replacing front stock fans. Any other suggestions are welcome.

While here, i also notice that all fans spike up when switching graphics settings/screens (i.e. exiting a game back to windows and/or sometimes during load screens). it only lasts 2-3 seconds or so, but is loud and just curious why.

Besides the above, you cant hear the system at all, stays very cool and allows 30% overclock (and still cool).

Thanks and happy new year!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Troubleshooting noisy fan?

Post by xan_user » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:25 am

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:29 am

The simplest answer is something is touching the fan(s). The front R4 fans can slip in the mounts during case assembly/disassembly/movement and lean against the hard drives/cage. Check that out. Or, it could be a wire routed against a fan.

ckellmeyer

Post by ckellmeyer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for both replies. Will check into it tonight...

mehimu

Post by mehimu » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:57 pm

I;m also in this type of problem, so going to apply this steps. Hope that it will work.