I want to buy the Antec Solution Series Black ATX Mid Tower.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cdplayer

I want to buy the Antec Solution Series Black ATX Mid Tower.

Post by cdplayer » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:59 pm

I want to buy the Antec Solution Series Black ATX Mid Tower Case, Model SLK3000-B.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 152&depa=1

I am having one hell of a time locating a shop that has it in stock. I live in Toronto, ON Canada.

Does anyone know of a store in the GTA that carries the computer case? If so I would like to know the store's address or URL.

Thanks!

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:31 pm

There's an ETA for that case at FrontierPC.com but it's not in Toronto, it's in Vancouver. This case will be available there in a couple of days (01/20/05). Like for any new product, it takes a bit of time before it's fully available in Canada... I had to wait about 2 weeks when I purchased my Phantom PSU, and I preordered it....

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:24 pm

Thanks Slaugh for the information!

You picked up the Phantom PSU. May I ask what case is it going into? It appears that that the most recommended PSU from this forum is the Tornado.

Why did you choose the Phantom? This will be my first computer build. I am still in the information gathering stage.

Cheers!

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:53 pm

I got an Antec Sonata for free and made money by selling the PSU :) ... I use my Phantom with that case, but in order to lower the case temperature, I installed the PSU outside the case...

Yes... You're right about the Super Tornado, it's a really good PSU and I recommand it... But I chose the Phantom because it's fanless... Except for an undervolted Nexus fan, everything is passively cooled in my system... I have a Zalman Reserator (passive watercooling) and I wanted a truly silent PSU to keep it dead silent. I was waiting for that Zalman NEPS400, but when I saw a good article about the Phantom at SPCR, I decided to go with it...

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:20 am

Slaugh wrote:I got an Antec Sonata for free ... I use my Phantom with that case, but in order to lower the case temperature, I installed the PSU outside the case...
Any pics of that setup? I'd love to see how you mounted the PSU outside. Did you drill & tap mounting holes in the wire-side of the Phantom and use the existing PSU mount holes on the case or do you have a different arrangement?

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:24 am

I'm also running a PSU outside my case(an FSP350-60PN with a nexus fan), it's just sitting on top of it with a sheet of foam in between. I don't see much of a reason to hard mount it, my PC isn't in a boat or anything, and if I wanted to move it around, I'd prefer to modularize the PSU it to make it easy to quickly attach and detach.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:51 am

My Phantom is on a wooden box behind my Sonata. All the cables are passed through the hole where the PSU is normally installed. This hole is padded with the acoustipack leftover so nothing can go in... I don't have any HDD installed in the drive cage at the bottom, my Seagate is installed in a 5 1/4" bay inside a Zalman heatpipe cooler aligned with the Nexus fan (exhaust). So all my cables are located on the top inside the case so even with short cables, this would work... This setup is temporary... I'll look for a better way to install the PSU outside the case when I'll have more time, just to make it easier when I have to move the case around. Sorry, I don't have any pic right now but as soon as I get my digital camera back, I'll take a couple shots...