So... my system is noizy and hot

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zynith

So... my system is noizy and hot

Post by Zynith » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Hello SPCR,

Well, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the whole cooling scene.
Basicly the problem is that my system is noizy, and I sometimes get popups by Intel Active monitor (note that my interiour is spring clean, I have the latest BIOS and allready turned up some tresholds).

I hope to get some good advice here, since you guys are more experienced with the subject then me. I've been searching trough reviewsites like hell, and there is a maze of solutions and brands that I'm completely lost.

The problem is that my CPU and system zone tends to run hot when using certain apps and games. But I don't want to install to any more fans cuz you can hear my PC 2 rooms up.

The system is about 2 years old and specs are:

Mobo - Intel(R) Desktop Board D865PERL
CPU - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Prescott, heh) 800Mhz FSB
RAM - 1024MB Dualchannel DDR (4*256) - Mainstream Apacer and TwinMOS (added later on)
VGA - Aopen GeForce FX5900XT (note that this fan sometimes starts spinning LOUD in D3D and OpenGL apps)

Other than that there's a nonimportant networkcard.

This is housed in a ATX Chieftech tower (I absolutly have no idea wich one, but I hate it). Wich I only use for home usage, so weight isn't really a factor here. It only has 1 80mm fan at the rear and 1 at the PSU.

What is proir to a cool and quiet system?
Please note that I'm 16 and don't have a steady income.
I'm ready to pay about 200 or maybe 300 EUR if I save up some more.
Maybe I can buy a second upgrade later on.

Would you guys be kind enough to help a total newb out? :lol:
I need help badly...

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Welcome to SPCR!
My advice for cooling without changing the case is to add as many fans as the case supports, and quiet them down with a fan controller (checking the temperatures after turning the rpm / noise down). It is advisable to use 92 mm fans over 80 mm ones, if possible. Oh, and don't use no-name fans, they use to be horrible (check the Recommended fans on this site and see what you can find at a reasonable price).
If the Prescott is using the boxed cooler, you can expect it to run hot. A better cooler, applied with Arctic Silver 5, may help lowering your temps, but that depends on which cooler you can find and afford. The best is Thermalright XP-120, the second best are Zalman 7700, Thermalright XP-90 and Arctic Cooling Freezer (OK, opinions may differ on this).
Quieting the graphics card implies voiding the warranty. If you want to do this, there are options like Zalman VF-700 or Arctic Cooling Silencer for 5900XT.

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:56 pm

Well, a Zalman CNPS-7000B AlCu should run you around 30-35 euros (how do you type the symbol for it anyway?), an NV Silencer 3 is priced at 24 euros (MSRP) on Arctic Cooling website, and that takes care of the cheap and easy options.

Is there room for any more fans in the back of your case? If yes, use them - Coolermaster LED Silent series are quite cheap and suprisingly quiet, even when run full-speed, and undervolted they are virtually inaudible. With NV Silencer blowing the heat generated by graphics card directly out of the case, the only major source of heat remains the CPU, and 1-2 80mm fans can take good care of it.

Examine how noisy your current case and PSU fans are - if they contribute a good deal to overall noise, consider replacing them (if you don't mind voiding warranty on the PSU, that is).

A case change is an option as well - Compucase 6A19 shouldn't run you any more than 60-65 euros, probably less, and it includes a fairly quiet PSU and 1-2 good quality 120mm fans - you could probably sell someone your old Chieftec case and recover some of the money that way.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:03 pm

What I'll suggest is usually NOT desirable. But in your case, it might be necessary.

#1. Take Gholam's advice and get the NV Silencer. Your VGA card is a really hot one, getting its heat out of the case ASAP is good thinking. The Zalman 7000B-AlCu is also good but you'll also need the LGA775 bracket sold seperately to mount it. Better still would be a Thermalright XP-90/XP-120 but that might dent your budget too much. There's also the possibility to experiment with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.

#2. You have a hot CPU but limited exhaust. I'm guessing the 80mm exhaust is further limited by a bad stamped grill that also contributes to the noise. Spend your money on a high-quality PSU. One with a 120mm bottom intake.

The reason this is NOT recommended is using the PSU for exhausting hot air usually makes the fan ramp up in speed; exhausting out the case is preferable. However, if you're not going to cut up your case to get rid of the stamped grill, you kind of HAVE to exhaust it out the PSU anyway. Plus, I think your overall noise level will go down even with a ramped up efficient PSU.

With any of the heatsinks recommended, the PSU will do a better job of evacuating heat than the "uncut" rear grill. I think the only exception would be the Freezer which you can rig a duct to exhaust at the back directly.

If/when you can afford one, get a case with a 120mm exhaust at the back for the final solution.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:37 pm

There is some really confusing things in this thread.

If the system is really two years old, then how come it has a Prescott? They didn't exist two years ago.

He is using a socket 478 board, so he doesn't need a LGA775 bracket to install a Zalman 7000.

If that chip really is a Prescott, then a Zalman 7000 won't cool it quietly. It would have to run at full speed. With a Northwood it could work.

--------------------
It helps to fill in the location in your profile, then people might be able to point you to some good deals.

P.S. Gholam, the € symbol is ALT-0128.

Zynith

Post by Zynith » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:59 am

Thanks allot guys, you cleared some stuff up for me. And, actually it's more of 1,5 years old... I didn't really checked.

I'm gonna look into some of this stuff, I'll let you guys know when I made my minds.

I still have a few questions tough:
-What is a good CPU cooler for a s478?
-I could use a new PSU, I actually have to hit the current one to get rid of the rattling sound :?

Ps: I dunno if you have the € sign on non-european keyboards, but it usualy is Alt Gr + E.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:54 am

Adding a new PSU to the wishlist made impossible to fit it within €200. But here is what I think are the best purchases to quiet down your system. Everything found at http://www.ichbinleise.de/. Except the Nexus parts. These can be found at http://www.silentpcshop.nl/.
  • Fan controller -- Zalman ZM-MFC1 -- €29,95
  • VGA cooler -- Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 3 -- €17,90
  • CPU cooler -- Thermalright XP 120 -- €55,90
  • Fan for CPU cooler -- Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fan -- €13,95
  • Power supply -- Enermax EG 375AX-VE(G) SFMA 370 Watt -- €89,90
  • Power supply -- Nexus NX-4090 -- €99,-
  • Shipping (2x €10,-) -- €20,-
Obviously you'll only need one of the powersupplies. A cheaper way to get a quiet powersupply is looking for a Fortron and mod it with a Nexus 120mm fan. If you don't want to spend so much money I suggest to start with the VGA silencer and the fan controller.

In bold is the answer to your last question. That is the best (only?) way to cool a Prescott quietly.

Zynith

Post by Zynith » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:01 am

I'm really looking into a case-change.
I hate about everything there is to hate about my current one.
Horrible airflow, near nonexistent room for fans, cables everywhere, wich a can't tape anywere, not to mention whining and rattling PSU.

I was thinking of getting myself one of those sexy Silverstone TJ06 cases.
But I figured out that that would get a little pricey ^_^'.
So how about I follow Gholam's advice and go for that Compucase 6A19.
I took a look at it and 2*120 fans + a more quit PSU doesn't sounds bad at all.

How about I get that case, along with the silencer?
I'll send an email to a PC shop just around the corner and ask if they could order it and how much it would cost.

What do you think?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:21 pm

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

I found a (french language) webshop in Belgium selling cases by the name Textorm 6A19. This is the same case as the Compucase 6A19. http://www.ldlc.be/cat/140073.html

I don't know how good the standard PSU in the Compucase/Textorm is. You are probably better of with a 6A19 without a PSU and pick the PSU yourself.