Plz List Software for testing/ burning in new Computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ChiBOY83

Plz List Software for testing/ burning in new Computer

Post by ChiBOY83 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:51 pm

WEll, i just got my system built (see below) mand wanted to know what software i should be testing it out with. I remember reading how everyone uses prime95, but im not sure whats thats for. Is ahtere any other software out there for the memory, graphics card and harddrive that i should get to burn this system in???

Amd 64 3000 venice, Abit AN8 SLI, XP-90, Seasonic 430, LG DVD Burner, Hitachi T7K250 160 gig HD, 2*512 OCZ Enhanced latency, Gigabyte 6600GT passive

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:28 pm

Prime95 will test you cpu, memory and chipset stability, it's pretty much the best stress test for this and will pick up on even the slightest fault.

For video card stability I recomend ATITool, even for nvidia cards. The artifact detection tool still works and is a good way to test if you have gone a little too far overclocking.

The thing these two may not pick up on though is if the psu is up t the task, I've known systems have no issue testing these, but blue screen in games due to insufficient power on the 12V line

But with a Seasonic 430W this shouldn't be an issue for you

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:52 pm

For memory, I like Memtest86+. Here are some links:

Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org
Prime95: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
ATiTool: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool
Last edited by alglove on Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:09 pm

Hello:

I tend to use Folding@Home. :) It does "detect" faults (like when you overclock a smidge too much) with corrupted work units. And you do something productive for "the cause" and for SPCR at the same time. 8)

wim

Post by wim » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:10 pm

i don't think 'burning in' a new system is necessary, i only use stress tests to diagnose problems if i'm having any. but that's just me! i second the reccomendation for memtest86, because it runs at boot time - you don't want to test the memory while it has bits of the OS in there. also if memtest86 finds a fault then you know it's definitely ram problem, and if it runs for x hours then you can be fairly sure your problem isn't ram.
I remember reading how everyone uses prime95, but im not sure whats thats for
it's actually a maths thing, a distributing computing project doing brute force search for new mersenne primes. but a lot of people use it for stress testing hardware, and for good reason. when you install, click "just stress testing" to not be part of the distributed computing, and then run the torture test. prime95 torture test is always right (meaning that, if you get any error then safe bet your hardware is at fault) because the computations are compared to known answers.