Keeping new performance system as quiet as possible

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

veras

Keeping new performance system as quiet as possible

Post by veras » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:59 am

Hey, I'm putting together a new gaming rig and after my experiences with my last one (too loud to leave on when I sleep, obnoxious if I put it on the desk rather than the floor) I used lots of resources on this site to keep it as quiet as possible without sacrificing performance, unless it was just a little. To that effect, I ended up with a Lian Li V1000 Plus, Seasonic S12 500W, and an XP-120 w/ Nexus fan. Also, I think the loudest thing in the system will be the video card, a 7800GTX that I don't really plan on modifying to be quieter at all (terrified to void warranty on it =P), so keep that in mind with the following questions:

1) Is the external ducting clip on thing for the back of the PSU on the V1000 Plus worth using, or is it just a gimmick that adds more noise and/or traps some heat? I know I can't/won't use the internal CPU duct thing with the huge XP-120 in place

2) Is the Nexus fan and the XP-120 going to be good enough to cool an X2 4400+ slightly overclocked (230-240 HTT, 1:1)? If not, what 120 mm fan should I be looking at with an optimal noise:performance ratio (probably will run it at higher speeds rather than lower most of the time)?

3) Do I want the fan pointed down, blowing on the XP-120, or up, blowing away from it?

4) Is it worth replacing the stock Adda fans in the V1000, or will they be quiet enough?

5) What are the best noise:performance ratio 120 mm fans with LEDs and/or UV reactive? I may want to stick a couple in.

Thank you very much for any replies =)

iowastate89
Friend of SPCR

Post by iowastate89 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi veras,

Any particular reason you didn't go with the P180 for your case?

veras

Post by veras » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:47 pm

Yeah, I don't like the way it looks and this is in an environment where it matters, and I absolutely loathe cases with doors. I probably could've conceded the former if not for the latter, but doors make me sad :~(.

xarope

Post by xarope » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:08 pm

That's a shame, because I just built a p180 w/MSI neo4 ultra venice 3200 (I prefer ATI to Nvidia GPUs so no SLI for me) w/ATI x850pro, two HDDs (samsungs, a 120gb and a 160gb). Enermax noisetaker 470W. Zalman CNPS 7700 alcu (not the best, but the pure copper seems too heavy, and the CNPS7000 alcu is a known solution for me from a previous clawhammer 3200+ built - now running gentoo -. Besides, hard to get silent 120mm fans in Singapore for things like the xp120).

Loudest thing in the case was the fan on the X850, so I switched it to an arctic silencer 5 r2. Once I did that, the next loudest thing was the bottom compartment 120x38mm tricool so I turned that to the low setting. Thinking about changing the tri-cools to the yateloons that silencio77 is selling, but really, the case is fantastically quiet (at least IMHO)... and the door really makes a difference, I'm actually glad it's there, even though I don't like doors. It also makes a difference that the door can be opened 270'.

I really doubt the v1000 can be made silent enough (I used to have the computer about 3 feet away from my head, so I spent many hours and $$$ to try to silence it (superflower AL case), in the end a day (cabling nightmares!) with the P180 accomplished all that I could not before.

geforce1

Post by geforce1 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:19 pm

Hey Veras, I was wondering about your said setup and what Iowastate said about why not the P180 (because you don't like doors). Your 5th question about the LED 120mm fans also rang a bell to me... your case probably has a side window.

Speaking of the fans you're thinking about, I think that the Evercool aluminum LED fans would be something to take into consideration, as long as you can find ones that don't have dual ball bearings, because after a few months of use, I've had two of them have clicking bearings at various rpms (usually above 1,700). Otherwise, they are smooth.

I haven't used/tried any others, but a quick search of the forums may give you an idea.

veras

Post by veras » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:26 am

it's not just a matter of not liking doors, I literally cannot open the door with the design of my desk and location of the computer - so it's kinda moot :(

Artagra

Post by Artagra » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:40 pm

Dude - I can really recommend changing the VGA cooling to a Zalman VF700. In theory it voids your warranty, but the truth is it's very easy to do, and as long as you replace the original cooler you won't have any problems if the card dies (obviously, if you kill the card, then it's your problem, but if you install the new cooler and then six months down the line the card dies, I have no problem RMAing it.)

Just sold two VF700's on 7800GTX's to a client and he's been very impressed.

Artag

veras

Post by veras » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:58 pm

Interesting - I will take it under serious consideration! However, I seriously doubt it will fit with the XP-120 in place. Or is most of the bulk on the other side of the card?

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:02 pm

the vf700 is entirely on the underside of the card (except for the mounting bracket) it wont intefere with the xp-120