Abit AV8 3rd eye Guru wrong?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DJDeath

Abit AV8 3rd eye Guru wrong?

Post by DJDeath » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi there,

This is my second post and I have included my specs below.

I am concerned with my idle CPU temps which are around 45-50C with 2 x Antec exhaust fans on Medium, Zalman cooler on medium, and a front thermaltake adjustable fan on medium. When I turn up everything it only comes down a degree or two. My friend has AMD 64 3200 (Winchester) same motherboard, the Soprana case, messy wiring, stock standard cooler, his computer is in the sun room and he regularly gets idle temps around 30C!!!

Also I should say I have no fan in PSU chamber (32C) and the two SATA HDD are in the upper chamber.

I am thinking the temp readout on the third eye moby is wrong wrong wrong. The System temp is around 32C as well.

Any ideas on a better way to accurately gauge the temps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

york

Post by york » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 pm

Abit forums have a bunch of threads about their past and current bios versions reading temps all wrong. I have a 3rd eye board and at idle it says 32-35c, Folding gets it to 42c, and Battlefield 2 hits 50c. Also my room temp on the 3rd eye says 30c, but the sensor on the house ac say 25c/78f. Its stable though so I'll pretend its telling the truth.

You could try a digital infrared thermometer from a hardware or electronics store.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:32 pm

York is correct. I also own this motherboard and temps are 15-20C higher than what most motherboards would report. This is closer to the actual CPU temperature. So don't be alarmed when your CPU reads 60 C or something like that.

DJDeath

Post by DJDeath » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:55 pm

Thanks guys. I might have a look at Abit's forums. Probably the place I should have went to in the first place. I guess I just go to this site first when i have a problem.

My friend has the third eye moby as well and his must be reading temps accurately, he lives nearby and we both get ambient temps around 20C in Brisbane, Australia at the moment and his idle is around 30C.

I'll have a look at the sensor you suggested.

Cheers