P180, A8N-SLI, Scythe Ninja, Thermalright V-1 ?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gitto

P180, A8N-SLI, Scythe Ninja, Thermalright V-1 ?

Post by gitto » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:35 am

Hey everyone.

I'm looking to switch my current system over to aircooling.

In short, this is what I'll do:

Motherboard : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Processor : Athlon 64 3500
CPU Heatsink : Scythe Ninja
GPU : X800 XL
GPU Heatsink : Thermalright V1.
Chipset Heatsink : Possibly mangled NB-47
PSU : Antec Phantom 350

I believe the V1 will fit, by at least 10mm. Maybe even 30mm, allowing a fan to be mounted where the stock fan is mounted. If not, I will mount the fan on the other side - ie, blowing directly onto the heatsink on the GPU core.

I'll keep the fans stock at first, then switch to Nexus if I feel I need too.

I'm really going for all-out quiet here. My main uncertainty is which GPU heatsink to use. The Zalman VF-700 looks tempting, but I think I'll get better results with the V1.

Does anyone have any heatsink combinations they feel would work better for me?

bishop

not too bad

Post by bishop » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:01 am

I have a similar setup, but i did go for a zalman 7700, and i installed acoustic foam from mnpctech.com. it was pretty good, then i removed the top 120mm fan (the stock fans are vey good.) and installed more acoustic foam on the top. now i only hear the dvd drive when its reading a disk.

gitto

Post by gitto » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi bishop.

Would you mind measuring how far off the PCB the top (where the default fan is) of the V1 comes? From the engineering diagram, I think it would be about 20mm, but it's a bit hard to interpret.

I'd also consider installing dampening foam too, but it's not something I'll do right away as I mightn't need it.

Another consideration now is using a Swiftech MCX159-R on the chipset, sans fan and with some of the pins splayed out. I think it'll just fit, I'm willing to try