Upgrading my case and DVD

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

greeef

Upgrading my case and DVD

Post by greeef » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:56 pm

Antec SLK3000B

LG GSA4163 16x DVD R/RW/RAM

These were the two parts i was reccomended. I'm happy with the case, but i was wondering about startup/dvd playback noise with the LG drive?
I don't mind loudness when i am burning and i don't mind slowing it down with drivespeed when i am not, but does it react well to this?

Is this drive quiet?

griff

greeef

Post by greeef » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:22 am

Sorry to be rude and bump but i need to buy relatively soon, could i get a thumbs up or thumbs down on these parts?

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:32 am

In my own experience, all CD/DVD drives I have seen are loud. I don't think you will get a definitive answer on whether the drive is quiet, for two reasons, it isn't quiet, and if anybody has that drive they won't have much to compare it to.

Who's to say one drive is loud and another one isn't, when they all sound loud? I bought <model hidden> with dynamic balancing, padded front panel, etc (all marketing gimmicks evidentally), and would you know it, it is loud. You can't get away from it. It's always going to sound like a vacuum cleaner.

About the case, it's a good one to get because it has 120mm fan mounts and a regular drive cage, which is a great combination.

Edit: Let me not be defamatory.

greeef

Post by greeef » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:04 pm

perhaps i asked too many questions in too little space and became unclear.
startup/dvd playback noise
This is the only noise i am concerned about. I presume cd playback would be as quiet as dvd playback.

griff

daremo

Post by daremo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:44 pm

greeef wrote:Sorry to be rude and bump but i need to buy relatively soon, could i get a thumbs up or thumbs down on these parts?

there's a good thread in the silent storage forum on a BenQ drive and others