What next?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pendu

What next?

Post by Pendu » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:58 am

Oky guys here is what i have done.

I have a 400 watt PSU. The fan on the psu was 120mm as standard. So its obvious to swap it for a nice orange nexus. I have got a scyth katana for my socket A. My cpu is a 2500xp barton.

I have got no other fans in my system except for the 120mm psu fan and the katan fan which i replaced with a nexus anyway.

Now my temps to be honest are fine. Under max load everthing including ram, gfx, cpu. My temps get to around 55c for the cpu and 38c for the inside case. Nothing ever crashes.

I still have a slight hum thou which i managed to dampen abit using some acousti silicone gel thingies for the 120mm fan. My gfx card is passivley cooled its a geforce 3 (soon to be a 9600xt).

I am thinking of turning to acoutic dampening. But my case gets warm at the top alot more than the bottom which is obvious due to the mechanis of heat and transfer. If i was to add acoustic dampening i can expect it to be like an insulator. So would using one of those arctic cooling silencer coolers for the soon to come 9600xt keep my temps under control. I think so long as its below 60c when everything is maxed out, it will work fine for a long time to come.

I also have underclocked the cpu. I lost a few mhx thou <100 mhz but it was worth it for the decrease in temp. I can't underclock more than it is already.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:12 am

Hi Pendu, as you just have 2 nexus fans in your system and are experiancing a "hum" I would look at suspending your hard drive. Hard drives vibrate, to varying degrees, and if fixed to the case cause the case to vibrate producing a low pitched hum. There are loads of threads on the topic eg. this one.
If you don't have a HDD or it's already suspended then ummm, pass.
Seb

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:26 am

Hi seb i actually forgot to mention it is suspended and it is the seagate 40gb (really quiet) one.

I noticed when i push the side panels in the hum becomes less. could putting on acoustic dampeners have the same effect as pushing it in.