gaming/office system (P150/X2-4400+/A8N32)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

llama

gaming/office system (P150/X2-4400+/A8N32)

Post by llama » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi, time has come for a new PC, and instead of upgrading part of what I have I think I'm going to go for a full system, case included. This time around I'm planning/hoping to set up something a bit quieter than the current Chieftec Dragon case with 5x 80mm YS-Tech case fans (yes, probably way overkill), a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu and a stock X800XT PE.

After doing a bit of research the following is what I've got so far:
  • Case: Antec P150 Quiet PC Case - 430w HE Modular PSU
  • Power Supply: Seasonic S12 500W Silent ATX2.0
  • Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16
  • Memory: G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit
  • Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon 4 in 1 Heatpipe
  • Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939)
  • Graphics: PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-
    Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
  • Drives: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 300GB ST3300831AS SATA
    8MB Cache
  • Fans: 2x Akasa AK-184-L2B Ultra Quiet 92mm Fan - 3 pin (case front fans), 1-2x Akasa AK-183-L2B Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin (one case exhaust fan, maybe one to replace the Typhoon stock fan)
In addition to this hardware, the case will house a Nebula DigiTV DVB-T PCI card and an Audigy 2 PCI card, both from the current system - and perhaps a third hard drive (a WD 160GB SATA drive). This will be my home gaming/office system, and I'm planning to overclock, but I'm not going to go insane about it.

I'm not planning on going SLI/CF, therefore the ATI - it's cheaper and it's available. The reason I still chose the SLI motherboard is for the features and the fanless design.

Hopefully this provides enough cooling while still being reasonably quiet out of the box. Am I being too optimistic here?

Comments are appreciated.

stupid

Post by stupid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:31 am

Not a bad setup, but I would use better RAM then the CAS 3 you intend to use. CAS 2.5 RAM isn't that much more expensive (at least in the US), and a better name brand would be preferable.

The Typhoon is at the very least big, but it does give good results based on user reviews. I would suggest using the Zalman HSF first before buying the Typhoon just to check if it is quiet enough. If it's too loud for your taste then buy the Typhoon.

I would probably go for the Scythe Ninja, which is pretty big too, and a Nexus 120mm fan when I build my A64 X2 this year. But I will test out my Zalman 7000 on the CPU first, if I can find where I put the damn backplate. I hope I didn't throw it out.

stupid

Post by stupid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:37 am

One more thing, the Seasonic S12 500 seems like an overkill for the system you plan on building. The 380w version should be good enough for your setup.

Though I do have to admit that I own a Seasonic S12 500 and I don't plan on building a SLI rig. I bought it on sale at a really good price though.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:16 am

Fans: 2x Akasa AK-184-L2B Ultra Quiet 92mm Fan - 3 pin
Are these the Akasa Amber fans? I have a 92mm one of those and it's not quiet at all, at any voltage (constant motor noise). It's a double ball bearing fan, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it was noisy.

EDIT: checked the product code, it is the same one as I have.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 pm

i have one of the 120mm ambers in my case now, and it's not what i would call noisy. at ~900rpms it gives the nexus a run for its money when you are listening for motor sound. It's has a little deeper "humming", but this is with my ear 5cm from the fan. The thing with the ambers is that their frame is made of some rockhard plastic, which leads vibration very well to the case unless you dampen it somehow.

llama

Post by llama » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm

stupid wrote:Not a bad setup, but I would use better RAM then the CAS 3 you intend to use. CAS 2.5 RAM isn't that much more expensive (at least in the US), and a better name brand would be preferable.
I was originally going for the Crucial Ballistix, but recent roblems made me change my mind (and double checking show them to be CAS3 also).

It seems that Asus is recommending the Corsair XMS3500LL Pro TwinX for the A8N32 board - it's rated 2-3-2-6-1T at DDR433 and should do the trick. If I decide I need more MHz I can always loosen the timings somewhat. It's more expensive, but I've put a 2x1GB kit on my shopping list instead of the G.Skill.
stupid wrote:The Typhoon is at the very least big, but it does give good results based on user reviews. I would suggest using the Zalman HSF first before buying the Typhoon just to check if it is quiet enough. If it's too loud for your taste then buy the Typhoon.
I'm planning to keep the current system as complete as possible (bar moving one hard drive and possibly selling the X800 and putting in an old Geforce 2 or just using the integrated one instead), so I'll keep the CNPS7000 where it is. If I went for the Zalman I'd probably go for the 120mm CNPS7700, but although I like Zalman (I've had a couple) the fan is very much integrated into the entire shebang and I'd like to be able to choose and pick a fan this time around.
stupid wrote:I would probably go for the Scythe Ninja,
Yeah, I know the Ninja is probably the best heatsink out there right now, but I want a more traditional heatsink that also blows air onto the components, in particular the A8N32 heatpipe sink just by the CPU. Although I'm probably being too cautious - the motherboard sink is by the exhaust and any vertical (to the motherboard) CPU fan will blow that way too.
stupid wrote:One more thing, the Seasonic S12 500 seems like an overkill for the system you plan on building. The 380w version should be good enough for your setup.
It is overkill, however it does have four SATA power connectors and two PCI-E power connectors - the S12 430 and below doesn't. Not a massive issue by any stretch of the imagination, but it's nice.
jaganath wrote:EDIT: checked the product code, it is the same one as I have.
The temperature controlled AcoustiFans on the SPCR recommended list sounds nice - but I've not been able to find these in the UK, although I have found the Antect SmartCool. Does anyone know anything about the noise characteristics of these?
Locklear wrote:The thing with the ambers is that their frame is made of some rockhard plastic, which leads vibration very well to the case unless you dampen it somehow.
Ah yeah, I do plan to get some vibration dampening kit. I just need to investigate any potential space issues with installing them (Vantec Vibration Dampening Kits).

Thanks for all your replies,
The Talking Llama.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:31 am

The temperature controlled AcoustiFans on the SPCR recommended list sounds nice - but I've not been able to find these in the UK
You can get non-temperature controlled Acoustifans from QuietPC:

QuietPC

They at least come with an inline resistor, so the speed is variable out of the box, and of course they work with a Zalman Fanmate etc.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:58 am

1. Although quiet that's a lot of cash to throw down on a case and power supply. Seems like it would be easier to just use a different MB and use the included HE, especially seeing as you're going with a Radeon card so you'll probably never use the second PCI-E slot. I believe that Antec has solved the problem with the HE power supply, but there's no way to be sure that you'll get one of the new ones. If I was running a X2 system like yours I would probably go for P180 over the P150, even though I do so love the hard drive suspension in the P150 and would have to rig something in the P180. Again, as others have said you don't need a 500W power supply for this system.

2. For your graphics card you'll want to get a new cooler for it as the stock one will be quite noisy. SPCRers like the Zalman VF-700 (I think that's the model number) and the artic cooling coolers although there are quite a few good coolers you could look at.

3. Seagates have not been so friendly for noise recently. A better choise might be a pair of 250GB P120 Samsungs though you'd have to sacrifice a little bit of hard drive space.

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:09 am

You might be better off considering a dual core 3800+ rather than 4400+, when considering bang for buck. Apparently the 3800 are quite sweet when it comes to overclocking.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite, as I have a 4400+. But, if I'd known what I know now I would have saved the dollars and gone the 3800. (Or opteron if you can find one.. )

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:07 am

Check my sig for full details - my HSF has some airflow directed down at the mainboard components.
The graphics card fan can be quietened (without compromising cooling) by using either atitool if you install the official ati drivers or the included tools that come with the unofficial omega driver package. I have the fan ramp up as the temperature goes up, so when gaming the fan might scream but I don't hear it ;)

-Quikkie

llama

Post by llama » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:53 pm

jaganath wrote:You can get non-temperature controlled Acoustifans from QuietPC:
Thanks, I'll look at them.
Elixer wrote:1. Although quiet that's a lot of cash to throw down on a case and power supply. Seems like it would be easier to just use a different MB and use the included HE, especially seeing as you're going with a Radeon card so you'll probably never use the second PCI-E slot.
True about the cost. I'm fairly set on the A8N32 though (depending on stock, I suppose), so I think I'd rather change the case. Unfortunately the 4-pin connector is in the top left corner, and I have doubts that it will reach in the P180. Even if it does it will be a tight fit.

I also prefer a case without a door, and as you say, the hard drive suspension in the P150 is pretty nice :)
Elixer wrote:I believe that Antec has solved the problem with the HE power supply, but there's no way to be sure that you'll get one of the new ones.
I'm aware of the (possible) issues with the HE power supply. I was thinking of having the HE lying around as a spare if I should ever need it (having the PSU from the Chieftec case at hand was useful when the Antec TruePower I had died on me last week). Obviously if it doesn't work with the motherboard that's all moot ;)
Elixer wrote:2. For your graphics card you'll want to get a new cooler for it as the stock one will be quite noisy.
Eventually I will probably do that. It really depends on how the stock cooler sounds when I get it all assembled. It is a dual slot card that exhausts the hot air itself, and it looks like it can be tricky removing the fan and/or the heatsink but I won't know until I have it in my hands.
Elixer wrote:3. Seagates have not been so friendly for noise recently. A better choise might be a pair of 250GB P120 Samsungs though you'd have to sacrifice a little bit of hard drive space.
Yeah, I'm a bit unsure about the Seagates noise wise. I plan to run SATA/NCQ as well so they'll be running in the 'noisy' (performance) mode. I do prefer the extra capacity though.
ozdoc wrote:You might be better off considering a dual core 3800+ rather than 4400+, when considering bang for buck. Apparently the 3800 are quite sweet when it comes to overclocking.
I did consider it. Well, I suppose I kind of still am. It's roughly a £120 (~$210) difference between the two. Is it worth it? Who knows. I'm hoping to clock the 2.2Ghz to 2.6Ghz. Getting the 2.0Ghz up to 2.5-2.6 is possible, but since it's a bigger overlock are the chances of succeeding lower? (I know it doesn't always work like that and it's a bit down to luck.)
quikkie wrote:Check my sig for full details - my HSF has some airflow directed down at the mainboard components.
Interesting - how is the Vapochill Micro performing, are you overclocking at all, and what kind of temperatures are you seeing?
quikkie wrote:The graphics card fan can be quietened (without compromising cooling) by using either atitool if you install the official ati drivers or the included tools that come with the unofficial omega driver package.
I'm reasonaly familiar with atitool (I used it to nearly fry my X800 once ;) ) but didn't know it let you control the fans. On my current X800 I don't hear the stock fan when not under load, but the rest of my system is too loud anyway. I do hear when it cranks up under gaming, but that doesn't really bother me too much.

Edit: Something I've forgotten to mention: the case will also house a DVD-ROM and a DVD writer. Doesn't make any difference to the overall system really, but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated :)

matva

Re: gaming/office system (P150/X2-4400+/A8N32)

Post by matva » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:53 am

X1800...any particular reason for this choice? 7800gtx, imo, is a better choice.
llama wrote:Case: Antec P150 Quiet PC Case - 430w HE Modular PSU
Power Supply: Seasonic S12 500W Silent ATX2.0
can i have your neo he430???? pretty please??

llama

Post by llama » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:49 pm

In most cases the 7800GTX is perhaps marginally better. The exceptions are Doom 3 and games based on it and currently Battlefield 2 (though mainly CF vs SLI seem to be the problem here) where the 7800 has a noticeable lead in performance (though recent drivers from ATI has reduced the gap for Doom 3).

The X1800XT 512Mb is around £140 cheaper, but more importantly it's available - at least in the UK the 7800GTX 512Mb is more or less non-existent. ATI seem to be going for 'value for money' - if you can say that about a card that costs ~£330 *on sale* :shock:

As for the NeoHE - not for free, you can't ;)

matva

Post by matva » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:32 am

ah, yeah, the prices on the x1800 have gone down quite a bit since i last checked.

Have you considered a 7800GT? They go for as low as ~$290 here, and are still competitive cards. Just a thought....

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:16 am

with two instances of cpuburn running I get a max of 25C above ambient (total of about 45C). idle is around 30C - although I never get to see that very often as I run climateprediction.net most of the time. All temps are at stock speeds, the fan on the HS is running at around 900-1200RPM idle-cpuburn, so I have a lot more cooling capacity for when I decide I want to overclock.

-Quikkie