To window...or not to window?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TMonte

To window...or not to window?

Post by TMonte » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi,

As I'm nearing the end of this 'project' (yeah right), I have a decision to make on the left side panel. I plan on damping the panels and case with either AcoustiPack or DampTek (leaning towards DampTek because of price). However, many moons ago when I first bought this case (~5 years back), I decided to put a 120mm blow hole in the side panel to dump fresh air in at the CPU and video card...if I only knew then what I know now. :)

So my options are either to buy a new unmolested panel ($20), or window this one. What makes it tough is that I've water cooled the system, and it's just plain cool to look at. Granted, looking at it may get old at some point, so this isn't really something I care about (function comes first).

Here's what it looks like sans panel (just finished the front bezel today):

Here are two options I laid out to illustrate the shape. The first is a clear window, the second is based on black smoked acrylic (ACRyan sells it). What I can do with the second, which would be VERY cool, is install a couple cold cathodes (blue or white) - with the cathodes off, you can't see into the case...and then when lit, all is there to see.

Any comments/opinions/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:48 pm

I think a window would be cool. Especially the smoked one. I guess I'd get the thickest acrylic I could find though to dampen any noise.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:35 pm

^thats what i was thinking!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:10 pm

There is way too much work on the inside of that case to not show it off
Love you rig :D

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:00 am

Nice case you have there. 8)

Also vote for window. Though, personally I must admit I've never liked that shape of window - make me feel like it's half-finish. I prefer full rectangular/square window. But that's just me. :wink:

Btw, I would try a clear window then apply a tinted film - a reflective kind that make it look like a mirror. Then put white light inside. With light off you get a case with silvery colour tone, with light on...voila...you get a 2-way mirror. (I think I watch too much police movie :lol: ). May need 2 tube of light though.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Normally I'm against windows... but since your panel's screwed anyway, I say go for it. Just get a thick enough acrylic and you'll be okay with noise.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:34 pm

What I would suggest is going with a window that is a detailed shape. I've seen some really slick cases with windows that are a symbol or the sillouet of a comic book/anime/game character, and the window suddenly becomes a work of art instead of a square piece of plexi.

One thing that bugs me about my windowed case is that suddenly the presentation of the interior parts becomes important. Dust, cables, and lighting suddenly have a window seat. I found myself not only trying to get the best parts in my budget, but also getting parts that where not to gaudy or to plain. It looks like you've already got all your parts in shape though. :)

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:06 am

Rectangular window please 8) and have it thick(thick acrylic dampen sound rather well)

However I prefer the common coolant color like blue or green, amber looks like tea :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:58 am

There are other possibilities to cover a hole. Here's a clock I embedded in the side of one steel case....no extra noise. :lol:

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:24 am

That computer looks extremely nice. Go for the window.

TMonte

Post by TMonte » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:11 am

Weldingheart wrote:Rectangular window please 8) and have it thick(thick acrylic dampen sound rather well)

However I prefer the common coolant color like blue or green, amber looks like tea :)
It's actually Birch Beer! :D LOL

The coolant is DexCool (Orange)...but I only have it at 15%, so it's not quite as vibrant as it could be. I might add more later...or switch to Pentosin (blue).

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I think I'll either go with a rectangular window, or possibly this:

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mercha ... PC81322IWP

I guess that's more of a long shot...but it looks cool, though it sort of breaks the look I have going.

Thanks again,
Tom

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 am

I personally think the colour you've got now is fine....blue is way overused in modding setups (blue cathodes, blue heatsinks, blue LED's etc etc).

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:35 pm

^ditto

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am

I really like that clock Bluefront...

Question?

Its a bit hard to tell from the picture, is the clock also a window, or are those lights reflections on the glass?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:39 pm

Yeah that clock is also a window....the lites are inside the case. I changed the lighting since I took that photo....there is now one light attached to the rear of the clock, lighting up the mother-board.

This would really go well with a Lian Li case....the clock bezel is brushed aluminum. There are more photos of it in that album.

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:51 pm

I can't really offer any real opinion on the window besides the smoked one would be cool (or what if you a 2 way mirror so that one second you'd be looking at yourself and *Bamn* a light within turns on, showing you the full glory) :)

You could go for the accoustic foam from mcmaster, cheaper and about the same level of noise reduction
I spent $30 on a sheet of volara foam, 24x24 sheet of melamine, 24x48 sheet of melamine

color is white

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:33 pm

Bluefront wrote:There are other possibilities to cover a hole. Here's a clock I embedded in the side of one steel case....no extra noise. :lol:
Sweet,but some analog clock tends to click every seconds :lol:

another choice to cover hole is to put your LCD monitor on side panel(forget the original page where it come from) 8)