cheap 80mm panaflo on ebay

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mace

cheap 80mm panaflo on ebay

Post by Mace » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 am

I'm thinking of buying these. Does anyone know any issues associated with this model number?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANAFLO-21dBA-QUIET ... dZViewItem

here's the guy's store

http://stores.ebay.com/sepe22_PANAFLO-F ... idZ2QQtZkm

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:55 am

If you believe the picture, the model is FBA0812L1J and it was made in the year 2000. That is an OEM model (1J), which means it is very likely a surplus fan, rejected by an OEM (smashed in transit etc etc. Yes, the fan may appear to be physically OK, but the fluid bearing is easily smashed). So, no, I wouldn't buy that. And the price pretty much indicates it's too good to be true.

It seems to be made in Japan, many think it's a good thing, which it probably was back in the day. But with surplus it doesn't matter whether it was made in China or Japan, it means absolutely nothing with surplus stock (well IMHO it means nothing with even proper stock). It may as well be made on the moon and would still be surplus.

If you want Panaflos from north America, try digikey or a similar industrial distributor. Search SPCR for posts by jafb2000 if you want to read more about it. She is an english fan vendor and knows what she talks about.

Oh, and welcome to SPCR!

Mace

Post by Mace » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:17 am

Aleksi wrote:If you believe the picture, the model is FBA0812L1J and it was made in the year 2000. That is an OEM model (1J), which means it is very likely a surplus fan, rejected by an OEM (smashed in transit etc etc. Yes, the fan may appear to be physically OK, but the fluid bearing is easily smashed). So, no, I wouldn't buy that. And the price pretty much indicates it's too good to be true.

It seems to be made in Japan, many think it's a good thing, which it probably was back in the day. But with surplus it doesn't matter whether it was made in China or Japan, it means absolutely nothing with surplus stock (well IMHO it means nothing with even proper stock). It may as well be made on the moon and would still be surplus.

If you want Panaflos from north America, try digikey or a similar industrial distributor. Search SPCR for posts by jafb2000 if you want to read more about it. She is an english fan vendor and knows what she talks about.

Oh, and welcome to SPCR!
Yeah your probably right. The price on these fans are dirt cheap, but I want some quiet fans. I guess I should go buy them from another place like what you mentioned. Just trying to quiet down my super loud machines because the 80mm fans I'm using now are pretty loud.

On the machine I'm using now, I have the door panel off because the case fans are just too loud :(. I need to buy some quiet fans, cut some holes in my case for better cooling and mount them with some silicone or something to reduce the vibrations.

I already replaced my power supply because the old one died and took my dvd-rom with it. I ordered a seasonic s-12 380 watt because that seems to be the popular brand on this site. I am pleased with it, however it doesn't mount correctly in my case because the screw holes are upside down. If the psu fan is facing upwards I can mount it, just not when it faces downwards. I just need to screw some new holes in my case and I'm set. I probably should just go buy a new case, but I'm trying to make do with what I got.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:24 am

Hi,

I personally will take a proper Panaflo over any other 80mm fan (simply because I have had and have good Panaflos), but as you're in the north America it makes finding non-surplus Panaflos a pain in the butt. EDIT: well, like I said, Digikey is mainly OK.

So, I guess the next option would be to look at a Nexus 80 (yes I know, overpriced), Papst or maybe Yate Loon. Don't know about the north american vendors, but atleast Silencio_777 has his store open on ebay.com. He sells Yate Loons, Papsts, Noiseblockers etc and gives an SPCR discount. Cheap shipping even to the north America.

HTH.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:04 pm

>as you're in the north America it makes finding non-surplus Panaflos a pain in the butt.

What about jab-tech.com? They sell the 8cm panaflo L1A, as do hardwarecooling.com .

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Mace wrote:...The price on these fans are dirt cheap...
The fans are not as cheap as you think. The shipping cost is US $7.99 + $5.99 for each additional fan for US 1st class mail (which will cost the shipper about $2.00, plus about $.50 for each additonal fan).

The seller has a very good Positive Feedback rating of 99.7% (but no guarantees from me).

Mace

Post by Mace » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:22 am

m0002a wrote:
Mace wrote:...The price on these fans are dirt cheap...
The fans are not as cheap as you think. The shipping cost is US $7.99 + $5.99 for each additional fan for US 1st class mail (which will cost the shipper about $2.00, plus about $.50 for each additonal fan).

The seller has a very good Positive Feedback rating of 99.7% (but no guarantees from me).
Oh! I didn't see that. :oops:

I think I'll just go get some yate loon fans from somewhere.

Thanks everyone.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 am

re: Yate Loon, I have seen failed (really loud and slow spinning) YL 8cm fans in Fortron power supplies.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:38 am

I brought all of my Panaflo fans from sidewindercomputers.com.

When buying fans, make sure that you only buy the ultra quiet ones and that you undervolt them. Otherwise you will end up buying more than you can use (wasting money) as you progressively make your PC quieter like I did. I have 7 fans lying around, one vantec stealth 92mm fan, one high speed 92mm panaflo, 2 80mm medium speed panaflo fans, 2, 80mm ultra quiet panaflos and now that I brought an Antec P150 case, one 120mm medium speed panaflo that emits a rattling sound and therefore never saw its way into my PC's case. About $85 have went down the drain on all of these fans. :oops:

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:35 pm

o yeah, i remember sidewinder. Saw them once in an ad, but forgot their URL. <offtopic>@SA, do you like Pokémon? I used to but pretty much quit after Ruby/Sapphire were released.