Quiet 7800GS AGP, any solutions? (general advice needed too)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Baralis2k

Quiet 7800GS AGP, any solutions? (general advice needed too)

Post by Baralis2k » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:03 am

Well now, I'm rebuilding my system to be nice and quiet as it is currently a bit on the noisey side...Have just a general purpose dodgy $20 case and it's not that pretty, inside or out. Time for an upgrade.

Currently I have an Asuus P4C800-E Deluxe, with a 2.6ghz P4 and a 9800Pro (overclocked, but that doesn't help me in Oblivion atm doh!). CPU and GPU are cooled by a modded Reserator. So that side of it is reasonably quiet. However, I have 4 hard drives stuffed in there atm so it's not all that quiet there (don't ask why I have so many, also have 3 external hard drives too :P ). Anyway, dodgy powersupply and 80mm exhausts let me down, case is really crap.

Main reason for upgrade is to ditch the Reserator, such a bastard to lug around at LAN parties, plus I've started taking it around alot for work so it needs to become more portable, soon...or my back will give out.

So, did a bit of researching and decided on the Antec p150. Built in suspension took me in as well as the other great features, plus I think it's pretty. But anyway, I digress. Bought one of those, as well as a Scythe Ninja and a couple of quiet fans. However, I do want to upgrade my video card to a 7800GS. However, I find that no aftermarket heatsinks fit it (due to the HIS I believe?) and the stock coolers are noisey. Anyone any ideas on quiet cooling for it? Is it possible to actually even mount such a cooler on the card in the first place and cool the HIS some other way? Perhaps water cooling, can you mount a waterblock on the card? Would I even be able to fit a radiator inside the p150 to begin with (no external kits allowed)? Should I give up and go for an x850PE?

Also, mounting hard drives in the built in suspension system leaves me one drive out of pocket (current case has 4 drive bays). I have a spare 5.25" bay, could anyone perhaps recommend a silent drive box to reduce the noise of either a 150gb Raptor or 300gb Seagate (which would benefit most?) ?

PSU, keep the one that came with the p150 or change? I've seen some nice ducting attempts to stop it ramping up with temperature.

Well, in there somewhere is some questions...I think...Alot of rambling yes, but some questions. I don't need a dead 'silent' PC, but quiet enough to sleep by (my computer is on 24/7 and in my room (except when it's at a LAN or used for work), not a bargain really but have no choice). I do play new games like Oblivion hence for the upgrade to the 7800GS (waiting for another 9 months to a year before upgrading whole system). However I don't mind if for 3d the computer a bit noisier if I have to turn fans up or whatnot.

Anyway, any thoughts and questions? I'd love some advice from you more experienced silencers, it's reasonably new to me! :)

Cheers in advance! Marty

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:40 am

I was hoping to find me one of these
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30502

Baralis2k

Mmmhmmm, most interesting

Post by Baralis2k » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:28 am

I'm not quite sure that I'll be able to afford that when it comes into Australia (release date?). 256mb 7800GS is already pushing my budget. Is the fan on the card automatically controlled, anyone have any idea on the noise level of the card?

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:01 am

The stock fan on my BFG 7800 is not so loud. It is *not* silent. The pitch it makes is very middle range. I have foamed the inside of my case and don’t hear it over slight high pitch hard drive noise. If you have 3 or four hard drives I don’t think you will notice the fan on the 7800.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:33 am

The fan on my XFX 7800GS is not too bad at all. :D

There're other discussion on 7800 GS in this thread, and this thread.

Edit: And yes the fan is auto controlled by the card(mine is 50% at 2D, 79% at 3D). :D :D

Maviryk

Post by Maviryk » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:16 am

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php? ... ge=1&pp=30

Check post 5, you could use a modified cpu heatsink and stick a 70x10mm fan on it.

You could also upgrade to a dothan and go completely passive on the CPU since it only puts out 40watts.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:07 am

if you use the trays in the p150 you can use 4 harddrives drive.
you shuold give that a try.
Chances are you have one hard drive (or two) that is much louder than the others. For no reason other than age.

tango charlie

Post by tango charlie » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:22 am

I have my HDD loaded on the P150's soft'n'squishy trays... they're really, really squishy washers between the metal parts, so I have a hard time believing it's that much noisier than using the bands.

Umm... what about consolidating the drives to fewer, larger drives? They're getting cheaper and cheaper by the day.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:23 am

saw this thing * KuFormula VF1-PLUS* looks like it may work for your 7900 needs. still not silent : (