will speedfan control zalman cnps7000b fan

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rhendrix9

will speedfan control zalman cnps7000b fan

Post by rhendrix9 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:56 am

I use speedfan to control the case fans in my system. I have a zalman cpu hsf with the fanmate speed control. If I take the fanmate speed control off, will speedfan control the zalman cnps7000b fan speed?
thanks

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 am

Yes.

I've built several machines with the CNPS-7000 and used BIOS and/or SpeedFan for fan control is all of them, no Fan Mate needed.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:40 am

Whether it will or not depends on if the motherboard suppors speedfan. The HS itself doesn't really matter. Check speedfan's list of mobo's that support speed adjusting to see if your's is there. (or just download it and try it out)

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 am

hmmmmm, I find it kind of weird that the A8N SLI Deluxe supports it, whereas the SLI Premium doesn't....
Oh well, at least I have a fanmate :D

rhendrix9

Post by rhendrix9 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:12 am

Rusty075 wrote:Whether it will or not depends on if the motherboard suppors speedfan. The HS itself doesn't really matter. Check speedfan's list of mobo's that support speed adjusting to see if your's is there. (or just download it and try it out)
Well, like I said, I use speedfan to control the case fans. I already have the fanmate connected, so I don't use speedfan on the cpu. If speedfan works on the case fan, do you think that it is likely to work on the cpu too?

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:23 am

rhendrix9 wrote:
Rusty075 wrote:Whether it will or not depends on if the motherboard suppors speedfan. The HS itself doesn't really matter. Check speedfan's list of mobo's that support speed adjusting to see if your's is there. (or just download it and try it out)
Well, like I said, I use speedfan to control the case fans. I already have the fanmate connected, so I don't use speedfan on the cpu. If speedfan works on the case fan, do you think that it is likely to work on the cpu too?
Of course.

Engine

Post by Engine » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:19 am

klankymen wrote:hmmmmm, I find it kind of weird that the A8N SLI Deluxe supports it, whereas the SLI Premium doesn't....
I'm using it on the Premium, with no problems. It's probably just not been added. There are even configs available for it, although all the ones I've tried were useless and ridiculous.

Engine

Post by Engine » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:24 am

rhendrix9 wrote:Well, like I said, I use speedfan to control the case fans. I already have the fanmate connected, so I don't use speedfan on the cpu. If speedfan works on the case fan, do you think that it is likely to work on the cpu too?
Let's be clear: which fan is connected has no effect on whether or not you can control it. You could - someone correct me if I'm wrong - control a light bulb with it, if that's your thing. It's not about the fan itself, but about support from your motherboard for PWM.

Candor

Post by Candor » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:28 am

hmmmmm, I find it kind of weird that the A8N SLI Deluxe supports it, whereas the SLI Premium doesn't....
A8N Sli Premium does in fact support speedfan. I'm currently, using it on mine.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:44 am

Interesting... And just how low can you take it? (CNPS-7000B) 50% ? 40% ?

Engine

Post by Engine » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 am

rpsgc wrote:Interesting... And just how low can you take it? (CNPS-7000B) 50% ? 40% ?
I see no reason you couldn't take it as low as processor heat demanded. Well, you could take it lower, of course; there's no real reason you couldn't take it to 0 percent and let the proc burn. But I sense your question may be intended to be more specific than that?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:23 am

Engine wrote:
rpsgc wrote:Interesting... And just how low can you take it? (CNPS-7000B) 50% ? 40% ?
I see no reason you couldn't take it as low as processor heat demanded. Well, you could take it lower, of course; there's no real reason you couldn't take it to 0 percent and let the proc burn. But I sense your question may be intended to be more specific than that?
Just to make it clear, when I said "how low" I meant something the likes of "does it work at other voltages other than the Fanmate's default 'Normal mode' (12V) and 'Quiet mode' (5V)?"

I just want to make sure before I try it :P

Engine

Post by Engine » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:34 am

rpsgc wrote:Just to make it clear, when I said "how low" I meant something the likes of "does it work at other voltages other than the Fanmate's default 'Normal mode' (12V) and 'Quiet mode' (5V)?"

I thought you probably meant something more like that. Yes, absolutely, you can control the fan to other voltages than those used by the fanmate. [Just make sure you don't have it plugged in between the fan and your motherboard if you're using PMW to control the fan. I mean, you could, but it'd be senseless.] The fanmate uses analog properties of voltage and resistance to change the voltage going to the fan; PWM uses a trick of DC current to produce the same voltage differences by simply not always running power to the fan. The article [by the writer of Speedfan] that I linked to earlier explains it as well or better than I can, but the upshot is, any fan - or DC electrical device in general - can be powered with any discrete voltage [in percentage increments, a limit of Speedfan since that's how you enter the values] you choose. The fan doesn't matter; it could be a lightbulb or a DC dildo. The effect is the same.

So, more briefly: yes, you can control the voltage of your Zalman fan or cooler to any percentage you choose in Speedfan [or whatever program you choose]. The limitation isn't of the fan, it's of temperatures, and of the minimum voltage required to start and/or turn the fan. Zalman's fans - and I think this may be more the line of your question - don't have any inherent need to work at certain voltages, and will work at 8.5 volts as well as 7, or 9.3, or 6.875.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:07 pm

That's it. Thanks.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:46 pm

rpsgc wrote:
Engine wrote:
Just to make it clear, when I said "how low" I meant something the likes of "does it work at other voltages other than the Fanmate's default 'Normal mode' (12V) and 'Quiet mode' (5V)?"

I've been able to drop the speed of the CNPS-7000 to just below 5v speeds, using MSIs BIOS fan controls. I didn't even bother with SpeedFan on these machines since the BIOS controls did a very good job by itself. Having said that SpeedFan offers even more control so sub 5v speeds are probably possible but you may or may not have problems reading the RPM at such low levels.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:49 am

Yeah, Speedfan can only read the RPM down to 40%.

Offtopic: I have an Asus A7V880 and it has two 3pin connectors, one for CPU and the other for the case fan. I have the Zalman connected to the first one and a Nexus to the second one. The Zalman I can regulate just fine but not the Nexus :? If I connect the Nexus to the CPU header it works just fine but not on the case fan header. Why?

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:01 am

I think Asus A7V800 provides fan control only on CPU fan header similar to most MB during that same period - including my P4P800-E Dlx. You can quickly check in Asus manual - if it has Q-Fan instead of Q-Fan2 then only CPU fan can be controlled.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 am

Engine wrote:
klankymen wrote:hmmmmm, I find it kind of weird that the A8N SLI Deluxe supports it, whereas the SLI Premium doesn't....
I'm using it on the Premium, with no problems. It's probably just not been added. There are even configs available for it, although all the ones I've tried were useless and ridiculous.
funny, I tried it, it didn't do anything for me....

Engine

Post by Engine » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 am

Which fan header were you trying to control? CPU1? I noticed that some of the headers were giving me some problems with not reporting RPM, and as it turns out, the implemenation of fan headers on that mobo is...ah, extraordinarily strange. Some can be controlled by QFan, some can't report RPM, etc. But CPU1, at least, I know I was able to control with SpeedFan. [With QFan enabled in BIOS; I'm uncertain if that makes a difference.]

sampsmith

asus 8n-sli premium and speedfan

Post by sampsmith » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:58 am

speedfan seems to be working on my asus 8n-sli premium on th cpu fan only. the case fan has a big power connector and is not controllable on the board. there is a second controllable fan connector called CHA_1 which is controllable but i am not sure what it is for.

my speedfan which i have not configured properly yet seems to go down to 50% on the cpu fan... currently i am getting better results with qfan down to 1200 rpm instead of 1600 rpm

Engine

Re: asus 8n-sli premium and speedfan

Post by Engine » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:36 am

sampsmith wrote:there is a second controllable fan connector called CHA_1 which is controllable but i am not sure what it is for.
The "chassis fan."
sampsmith wrote:my speedfan which i have not configured properly yet seems to go down to 50% on the cpu fan... currently i am getting better results with qfan down to 1200 rpm instead of 1600 rpm
You know, I had the strangest problem with the one I set up where QFan wasn't bringing the RPM on the CPU fan up quickly enough on boot to not set off the <1200RPM BIOS warning. No idea why, but it sure was irritating. I ended up having to disable the warning, which wasn't me preference as to solutions.

sampsmith

disable boot warning

Post by sampsmith » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:39 pm

Same here Engine.... I had to disable the boot warning although I have seen elsewhere that this is common practice....