very quiet, low cost gaming system build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bburk

very quiet, low cost gaming system build?

Post by bburk » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:20 am

I am working on building a very quiet, low cost gaming system.

So far all I've bought is the case, an Antec P150 (I've since seen some of the problems of systems not booting I got a version 3.1 power supply if that tells you anything).

Which motherboard and CPU, I'm thinking an AM2 of some sort? I will wait until after 7/25 for price drops. AMD or Intel doesn't matter to me. I am near always multi-tasking, but don't know if dual core is worth it.

I am leaning towards a silent heatpipe 7600gt card, probably the Gigabyte as long as it's 2 slot configuration will fit.

2GB RAM, whatever is cheapest and reliable.

Any comments on the Zalaman c8000 CPU cooler and will it fit in the P150?

A WD5000KS drive. A 16x dual layer DVD burner.

Anything else I'm missing?

thanks, Doug

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:07 pm

Yeah, go for the AM2. CPU wiseI would just get a 3500+. You can always get a currently expensive dualcore later. Or you could get an opty if you're an OCer.

As for Memory, if you are going to overclock, I can't recommend SuperTalent T800UX2GC4 more. If not, than Crucial DDR2 667 will do.

CPU Heatsink wise I would recommend, and I'm sure many others as well, the Scythe Ninja Plus. Pickup a YateLoon D12SL-12 120mm while you're there and you'll be all set. :)

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:24 pm

As quiet as a Scythe Ninja and Yate Loon combination is, I wouldn't get it because I move my computer around sometimes. The Ninja is quite heavy. The lighter and lower profile Thermalright SI-120 or SI-97 would be good alternatives IMO.

For the most part I agree with your choices: AM2 motherboard (ASUS if its not too expensive), Gigabyte passive 7600GT, WD500KS.

For the DVD Burner, I'm using the NEC 3540A. The 3550A is out now. It hums in my aluminum case, but with Nero DriveSpeed, it reads pretty silent at 8x. I still burn at 16x since burning only takes about 7mins. I've read reviews that the BenQ 1640/1650 is similar in quietness.

For the CPU, I agree with DrCR. Dual cores are still quite expensive, it might be better to get a cheaper 3500+ and upgrade later.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:51 pm

That's a good point. I failed to consider whether nor not you going to be Lan-partying.

Yeah, stromgald's right. The Si120 or XP120 are solid choices even now. Actually basically any Thermalright made in recent times (expect the Si128) are solid spcr choices. While I consider the Si97 one of the best SocketA cpu heatsinks you can get, it may be lacking if/when you upgrade beyond the 3500+ (unless, perhaps, your upgrade is of the lower watt type models).

If you're not going to be moving your machine around though, go for the Ninja.

Not sure what the present day choice for burners are. I got a Benq DW1620 a while back, and I'm happy with it. If you want to do some research, see what the CDFreaks and AfterDawn guys are liking nowadays and then see here on spcr whether they are sufficently quiet. Or just go for a 3550A or 1640/1650.

Edit: Funny thing stromgald. We joined spcr at almost the same time, have a similar post count, and I don't think I've ever seen you around before lol. I spend basically all my time in the fans&control forum though.

DrCR

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:42 pm

DrCR wrote: Edit: Funny thing stromgald. We joined spcr at almost the same time, have a similar post count, and I don't think I've ever seen you around before lol. I spend basically all my time in the fans&control forum though.

DrCR
Heh, I haven't logged in for like five months. I joined when looking for advice for my first real from-scratch build. Before then, I'd just been more of a tweaker of my old IBMs and Dell. Then I got an co-op/extended internship and during the six months at work, SPCR was just something to do when bored. I probably did 75% of my posts then. When I went back to school (this past spring), I basically dropped off posting here. . . and now I'm back to working again. :wink: I hang around the newbie and system advice forums more than the others since I like to see what people are building these days.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:22 pm

Nah, those motherboards cost more and offer nothing more. This board is completely passive without huge heatsinks or bizarre heatpipes.

And it is cheap.

http://www.asrock.com/product/AM2V890-VSTA.htm

Only thing you do not get is a 1394a jack in the back. I always put an audigy 2 zs in it though to make it a real gaming system. (it offloads mass quantities of sound from the processor)

the 3500 is a great choice.

Ram? I recommend Patriot memory. Run it at 1T command rate, very little difference in gaming speed with memory modules if you all compare them at 1T and tweak them down to 3 3 3 speeds (which most can if name brand ram)

vid card, I have no suggestions as I am into getting the more powerful cards.

7800GT can be found for an "ok" price and definitely performs well.

You spent a lot on your case. What is your budget?