Need input for quieting a MSI Neo 4 Platinum SLI board

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The Internal

Need input for quieting a MSI Neo 4 Platinum SLI board

Post by The Internal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:55 am

Greetings,

I've wanted to build/upgrade my system to a much quieter running rig, and have been doing LOTS of reading. Having read the SPCR review, I've already ordered a P180B case (quiet and cool looking... ^_^) but am trying to figure out if the Scythe Ninja will fit on my MSI Neo 4 Platinum SLI mobo.
Anyone know if it will fit and/or if they know a good QUIET heatsink that may be a bit more affordable?
I also recently rediscovered my motherboard has a loud as hell 40 mm southbridge fan. Anyone have suggestions or experience replacing that with a passive cooling solution?
I'm also considering slapping a Zalman on my EVGA 6800 Ultra. Any suggestions are welcome there as well.

Thanks!

Edit: with the current stock GPU cooler, there's maybe 2 to 3 cm clearance between the current southbridge fan and the video card cooler.

acyf

Post by acyf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:22 pm

You can replace the noisy southbridge fan with the passive Zalman NB47 or NB47J. It's cheap and does the job well. But if you are into overclocking, I would suggest you go with one with a fan.

Shadowknight

Re: Need input for quieting a MSI Neo 4 Platinum SLI board

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:51 pm

The Internal wrote:Greetings,

I've wanted to build/upgrade my system to a much quieter running rig, and have been doing LOTS of reading. Having read the SPCR review, I've already ordered a P180B case (quiet and cool looking... ^_^) but am trying to figure out if the Scythe Ninja will fit on my MSI Neo 4 Platinum SLI mobo.
I took a minute on google to look, and found this system listed on hardforum:
Antec P180
MSI NEO4 Platinum SLI
AMD FX-55
Scythe Ninja
2GB(2x1GB) OCZ Platinum Memory (PC3200 2-3-2-5)
2 BFG 7800 GTX OC in SLI
PC Power&Cooling 510 SLI power supply
Creative X-FI Platinum (...where is aureal when I need 'em?)
Plextor PX-712A DVD+-R/RW
Plextor PlexWriter Premium CD-RW
4 Western Digital 36GB Raptors (4 spindle RAID 0)
2 Western Digtal 74GB Raptors (2 spindle RAID 1)
Netgear WPN 311 Wireless Adapter
Logitech G7
Saitek Eclipse
Saitek X42
HP L2335 23" Widescreen LCD
Generic Floppy

Only upgrade in the near future will be to replace the 4 36GB raptors with 2 150GB raptors.
So the Ninja should fit on your motherboard with no problem.

The Internal

Post by The Internal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm still a little concerned about the clearance of the chipset heatsink in relation to the vid card, I don't think either of the ones you mentioned will fit due to the EVGA 6800 Ultra's stock fan.
The other CPU fan I was considering was the cool looking Zalmann.

acyf

Post by acyf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Yes, that's what you needa work out. Some people actually cut one or two fins off the Zalman NB47J to make it fit with the big video card cooler.

Ninja performs better than Zalman 9500.

The Internal

Post by The Internal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:29 pm

so, bending or cutting a few fins should still allow adequate cooling then?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Several people have reported cutting down and/or bending the fins on the Zalman chipset cooler with no change in its cooling efficiency.