fanless or at least very quiet PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

a soggy waffle

fanless or at least very quiet PC

Post by a soggy waffle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:27 pm

i have a friend who would like to build a silent (not just quiet) system, i was looking at fanless cases and i didnt see too many options, what looked interesting is the zalman TNN cases, but i dont think the 300 would support a core 2 duo chip or the motherboard that supports it (it will be a fairly high end workstation) and the 500 series are out of my price range (they are over $1000), can anyone point me to a good fanless case that will work with core 2 duo? or any other general advice on this plan

budget is not that much of a problem, but spending $1200 on a case if not really wanted

he wants a fanless comp because he wants it silent, its in his office all day and he wants to be able to read/talk to ppl with almost no backround noise, but there will be a need for a video card so he can use a dual monitor setup (makes some things difficult), there is no intention of overclocking here (overclocking and quiet dont normally go together anyway )

im thinking now this is what the system will look like, its more of a quiet system now (i kno bummer, if anyone thinks you can pull of fanless with this cpu plz tell me), and remember no overclocking planned, heat and workstation performance is what im looking at, underclocking has come to my mind if needed
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - suggested $316
undicided mobo - suggestions?
GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II - $170
value ddr2 ram - suggestions
Antec Phantom 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - $160
SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ120AB2 - $30, wont really be used
maybe THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120 cpu cooler or ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball, suggestions for another one?
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - cheap enough and it might help some

rest is undicided (need case and hard drive 80-160 gigs, both need to be quiet as hell! it also needs to be able to take some heat)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 pm

What sort of office are we talking about here? In my experience, an office has a certain noise level due to air conditioning airflow alone. It would totally drown out typical SPCR undervolted fans.

That new Thermalright Ultra-120 looks like it's going to be the new "king of the hill" favored CPU heatsink here on SPCR. The current "king of the hill" is the Scythe Ninja.

The Zalman CPU coolers aren't as favored here because their stock fans can't really be silenced and replacing the fan requires extensive modifications.

For the hard drive, you've got a hard decision to make--just how important is silence, compared to performance? My bet is that performance is more important, given the typical noise floor of a typical office. In that case, a suspended 3.5" drive is the best choice, along with an undervolted fan actively cooling it for maximum reliability (we are talking about a mission critical business computer here, right?).

If absolute silence is of utmost importance, then an enclosed 2.5" drive is the way to go.

Alternatively, if the budget is willing you could install an Gigabyte iRam for blazing performance and solid state silence! This can store the main OS while the rest of the data is served up via gigabit ethernet from a file server in another room.

In any case, I would strongly recommend against a true fanless solution. For a relatively high performance system, fanlessness comes at the cost of reliability. Quiet undervolted fans are effectively silent in the somewhat noisy environment of even a private office (typically).

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:54 pm

I agree with Issac . . . are you sure he really needs a 'silent' computer? Maybe he just has a noisy one and wants a quieter one. I think an average SPCR computer would be considered quiet unless he's sitting in a recording studio or something. "Silence" or at least our definition of it is hard to come by.

For the motherboard, I'd recommend a passive one from ASUS or maybe Gigabyte. There's a good article on anandtech reviewing a bunch of motherboards: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797. ASUS is generally perferred due to their good reliability and their good selection of passive boards.

I also noticed that there wasn't mention of a case. Depending on size constraints, the Antec P180 (very large, but cools better) or SOLO (average sized) are probably best.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: fanless or at least very quiet PC

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:09 pm

a soggy waffle wrote:...but i dont think the 300 would support a core 2 duo chip or the motherboard that supports it (it will be a fairly high end workstation)...
This does not compute. We tested the 300 & I can assure you it will have no trouble cooling a core 2, and as long as the mobo is a microATX, the case will handle it fine. It's the best engineered fanless case for DIY systems out there. Now, whether that makes it the best choice of case for your friend is a whole nuther question. I'd tend to agree with IssacKuo & stromgald: Is true silence really the goal?

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:41 pm

do they have microATX boards that support the core 2 duo? i dont see any on newegg

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:26 am

a soggy waffle wrote:do they have microATX boards that support the core 2 duo? i dont see any on newegg
A uATX mobo for the Conroe will typically have integrated graphics, which means the G965 chipset. For various technical reasons, Intel is late with that chipset. So, contrary to the original plan, initial Conroes have appeared in the marketplace with no G965-based mobos to support them.

G965 mobos will appear, but I understand the technical problems are severe, so they may appear later than you - or Intel - would wish. :cry:

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:25 am

a soggy waffle wrote:do they have microATX boards that support the core 2 duo? i dont see any on newegg
If you want real silence without the expense or dangers of watercooling, I'd recommend against micro ATX. The smaller the case, the harder it is to cool or get good airflow without more powerful fans.

You still haven't mentioned just how quiet you need the computer. Personally, if space isn't an issue, I'd recommend a P180 with ASUS passive motherboard, and an Thermalright SI-120 with Nexus 120mm fan for CPU cooling. You can get a very quiet computer at about $1600 that should meet your computing needs. No need to spend $500+ on a case or cooling components.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:56 am

i was actually thinking just that except with the ultra-120 so it would be pointing the right way

eckre

Post by eckre » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:55 am

In your price range... all looks good. nice passive cooled things.

To reach the quietness you require, you need 2 simple things.

1. A Nexus case

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std ... onfig.html

This has got to be the most under-rated silent case out there. I can't beleive more people haven't caught on. I've tried both Sontata's and they both sucked, hardcore, no where near silent. I've tried fortron's FPS PSU's, sucked. I've tried antec's other case p180, sucked. (yea I upgrade my computer about 6X a year, so I get lots of good stuff and get to really try a lot)

Do the math:

$100 get yourself a nice quiet case
$100 nice silent PSU
$100 case insulation

That is not difficult or outragious at all. But this nexus is half that cost. I have the 400 watt version myself, 2 HDDs, 2 roms, you only can hear it if you stop and seriously listen, it's about as loud as breathing out just to the point where it's audible.

2. A HDD silencer

http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php?na ... ent&id=131
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ ... ndex.shtml

Other Enclosures like the SILENTDRIVE COPPER increase the heat of drives while making them quieter, this one makes it QUIETER and COOLER, that's for me. the only downside, it's EXPENSIVE!

Alternatives:

Nexus Drive-A-Way

SilentDrive Copper

Both INCREASE the temperature, which is unacceptable, because if you are going to pay ~$60 for these, you might as well go with one that cools and silences.

ant BTW, a Zalman copper cnps-7700 is like 1 dB quieter than the 9500 and is cheaper and keeps it cooler.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:13 pm

well im gonna have to go with the p180 cause its recommended by this site and is easier to get

also, im thinking pasive GPU, north bridge, and PSU
but what would be better, two 120mm exhaust fans or 1 exhaust and 1 on the ultra-120?

eckre

ait.

Post by eckre » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:24 am

Well just don't be too disapointed when you make the system and are sitting there in silence, and can clearly hear your computer of course they recommended that case, they were in bed with the company making it. It's an excellent case, but it's not silent without costly insulation, and hdd enclosures. It was more designed for excellent cooling than silence. I know a nexus case is a lot quieter than the P180. And after you get a silent or passive PSU, it costs less.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm

after seeing a few reviews youve convinced me on the nexus case with the optional 500w PSU (that is if my friend doesnt want to wait/pay for the intel microATX mobos for the TNN 300), one trivial question is that i dont want to buy from 3 different sites and endpcnoise.com doesnt stock the HDD silencer you recommended, which one of theirs, if any would you recommend, im thinking the nexus drive-a-way but im worried about the cooling, however, keep in mind it is in a well air conditioned area

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Only buy Nexus if price is an issue. Nexus is most likely quiet but you can make even P180 quieter. Reasons:

1. PSU in P180 btakes fresh cold air instead of pre-heated from CPU because of different PSU location. -> slower running PSU fan.
2. Nexus PSU is not the quietest one. Seasonic S12 is quieter as shown here in SilentPCReview.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:02 pm

well heres what the non-TNN option is starting to look like, make any suggestions you want:

Nexus Breeze Quiet Computer Case w/ 500w PSU- $200

Nexus 120 mm Real Silent Case Fan (for cpu) - $13

THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - $47

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - ~$420 (i think it lists at $316 tho)

ASUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $160

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $49

SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM - $30, wont really be used

GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II - $170, looks like it will work well with the nexus' airflow pattern

VANTEC NXP-205-BK Black Fan Controller Panel - Retail - $20

for ram im thinking either, they are both budget but the first has better timings but lower speed

OCZ Gold Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model

OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K - OEM - (4-4-4-12 1.9V) $139 after $40 MIR

OR

OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K - Retail - (5-5-5-10 1.9v) $157 after $40 MIR

also i think i found a micro ATX mobo for core 2 duo, would this work for the TNN 300 case?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128016

edit: you are right paapaa, the PSU is going to get all the hot air and the PSU isnt the most quiet out there, but i still think that it will be better than a slightly quieter PSU and another case fan or two which the p180 would have (as well as cheaper)

justblair

Post by justblair » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:47 pm

My brother uses the breeze case and is very happy with it. The PSU is very quiet when he takes it out of the cupboard! It ramps up the speed a bit because he has it in a warm location.

The case is also very good at ridding HD noise, even without suspension. I was very impressed with this in fact.

The fan controller IMO is not required. Speedfan is capable of doing the job for you, and the Breeze comes with a nexus fan as standard AFAIK. The one my bro got had mobo header and molex connection on it.

He uses the ninja in the case. Its a very tight fit, but it does fit. Might be worth looking at. I dont know wether it fits that socket.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:45 pm

o does the mobo connector let you controll it that way? never had one that did that so i dont know, if so could the controller out

eckre

Post by eckre » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:11 am

IMHO, There is no reason why you need a NEXUS 500 watt, you have 1 DVD drive and 1 HDD, a 350watt or 400 will do you well. I have almost the same CPU/MB requirements you do, and one additional HDD and DVD drive. and I do fine with 400. the 500 is louder than 350 and 400.

While the Nexus 16.2dB PSU is not thee "quietest" I said it's a BARGIN when you consider all things. It's also in a noise dampened case, which should factor into the dB equations, but let's play that game:

from endpcnoise.com
P180
Cheapest Option installed case insulation (gotta compare apples to apples)
Seasonic PSU
$322.95 shipped

Nexus 350/400 watt $140/$170 + S&H

I contest that one can "make" a P180 without case insulation quieter because of better cooling. I live in Utah (100 degree summers) and I do not have an A/C (swap cooler only) and my Nexus 400 watt never bumps up to faster/louder fans. Heat is not the issue.

Sure money be da*med, you could make it quieter, but if you've got that much money, just get a TNN. we live in reality here.

HDD: I guess if you're going to suspend it, it's not going to make any noise. Never understood how that works, but it does. Single platter 80GB sounds nice and quiet. I should suspend my silentmaxx enclosures, see what that does.

I don't know if you need a fan controller. the nexus stock intake fan is silent.

I'd also use a Zalman CNPS-7700-CU, it's probably a bit cheaper, tiny bit louder than a nexus fan, (but it's inpreceptably louder) has a fan controller, if you need it, (I never use mine)

Right now, with my system idle, my CPU is @ 100, System @ 84, all with the fans @ their slowest speeds. I can not hear it due to ambiant noise.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:48 am

eckre wrote:from endpcnoise.com
P180
Cheapest Option installed case insulation (gotta compare apples to apples)
Seasonic PSU
$322.95 shipped

Nexus 350/400 watt $140/$170 + S&H
Here in Finland P180 + S12/380 = 200e and Nexus/400 is 140e. Nexus is cheaper but P180 is quieter. It is up to the buyer to decide what he wants, of course. P180 is much more versatile case so you get what you pay for. I'd love to see a smalle case than P180 which still manages to separate PSU intake from hot CPU air - like what P180 does.
eckre wrote:Right now, with my system idle, my CPU is @ 100, System @ 84, all with the fans @ their slowest speeds. I can not hear it due to ambiant noise.
"ambient noise" can mean so many things. For someone the difference between Nexus and P180+S12 is enough to warrant the price premium. And in some cases there is no difference because of ambient noise.

But as I said, Nexus is most likely a quiet case so buying it will get you probably decent results.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:38 am

well the p180 case fans would prolly make it louder, and then i would spend $25-37 getting new nexus ones

also, price is not really an issue, but it just seems like a waist to spend that much more for the p180, noise dampening, and a silent PSU when the nexus breeze 500 has that all at $100-200 cheaper

also, im figureing on the 500 watt PSU, it might be a little overkill but the 350 would at least be under fairly heavy load all the time, so i figue the 500 will be quieter at 300-350 than the 350 at that range, it also allows for upgrades in the future

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:14 am

You underestimate the effect of total system heat in ramping up the thermally controlled fan in the power supply of the Nexus Breeze. There have been many threads on these forums about the issue. Nexus never sent us a sample -- probably because they know what we'll find with the PSU under the realistic system loads we typically apply in our reviews: The PSU fan will ramp up, and the case will get loud.

The gist of the flaw in the breeze is that evacuating all the system heat through the power supply is at cross-purposes with trying to keep the system quiet. With some combination of warm weather and/or hot components pushed hard, the temperature in any PSU is guaranteed to reach a point where its fan must speed up to keep the PSU itself cool. In the Breeze, this will happen at a lower total power point than with most other cases -- any decently ventilated case that has a back panel case fan WILL keep the PSU fan quieter under load. Not only that, given that there is more heat going through the PSU, once the fan starts spinning up, I'd guess that it will ramp up faster to a higher RPM than in other cases.

So then the question becomes -- does the added damping and quieting features in the Breeze compensate for the higher noise of the PSU? Our experience with acoustic damping says... no. So does the general impression I have about this case from other users who have posted here before. This follows the general principle that in lowering noise, it is always more effective to stop it from being created rather than blocking or suppressing it after it has been propagated.

There are 2 case airflow fans in the Breeze -- one 120mm intake and one 120mm exhaust -- but the latter is in the PSU. The maximum combined airflow of the two working in push-pull tandem is well under the maximum CFM of the slower of the two fans because of the extra airflow impedance in the PSU. (The maximum CFM for any push pull fans setup is the slower of the two fans).

In a more conventional case with a 120mm fan in the PSU and one on the back panel, the total CFM (assuming nicely open intake vents) is less than the rated CFM of the 2 fans combined, but higher than the faster of the two fans. The noise of the two cases would be the same with the same fans -- assuming similar levels of noise damping within them.

But on the positive side, the components you're now considering have a relatively low total power. Probably not much more than 150W. Maybe this is low enough to keep the PSU fan in a Breeze from ramping up in typical ambient room temps (say <25C?).

BTW, for your proposed components, I'd opt for the Solo or P150 among ANtec cases; the P180 is overkill.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:49 am

can anyone tell me if my quieter 500w PSU theory in my above post is at all accurate?

i think ill still bet with the breeze, if noise starts to be a problem i can start with underclocking the video card (remember its just for dual monitors not gaming), and in the worst case underclocking/undervolting the CPU

EDIT: im actually getting some corsair memory now because supposedly the p5b is very picky with memory and has problems with ocz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145590

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:54 am

a soggy waffle wrote:can anyone tell me if my quieter 500w PSU theory in my above post is at all accurate?
No, it is actually very false. A 350W PSU might be quieter at 300W than a 500W PSU at 300W - or the opposite. Usually PSUs have poor efficiency at very low load levels. This means more heat and more noise. But you can't make any conclusions based on max power output. You really have to compare the actual noise level at the desired load. Your computer will probably use less than 150W power.
a soggy waffle wrote:i think ill still bet with the breeze, if noise starts to be a problem i can start with underclocking the video card (remember its just for dual monitors not gaming), and in the worst case underclocking/undervolting the CPU
You make the final decision. But please try to find more threads about Nexus here at SPCR so you'll see the whole picture.

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:43 pm

k thanks ill go with the 350 watt then, the PSU is a problem but i think he'll live with it, and one of the main points is to be near silent while idleing if you remeber from the first post (i had lost focus on that point)

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:10 pm

updated
Nexus Breeze Quiet Computer Case w/ 350w PSU - $140
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std ... onfig.html

THERMALRIGHT Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail - $47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835109125

120mm Nexus Quiet Case Fan - $13, for heatsink
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std ... 120mm.html

ASUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131030

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 1066MHz FSB 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - should be around $420
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115003

GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II, Lead Free Video Card - Retail - $170
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125025

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $178 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145590

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $49
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148107

SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827131031

subtotal= $1207

did i miss anything?

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:32 pm

a soggy waffle wrote:CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $178 after MIR
I wouldn't bother. Going from DDR2 533 to DDR2 800 gives you maybe 1-3% performance boost on average. You will never ever notice that. And at least here DDR2 533 is a lot cheaper. Please read this:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=472

a soggy waffle

Post by a soggy waffle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:14 pm

its only like $20 cheaper due to the MIR, im gonna stick with it

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 pm

I'm not a big fan of Nexus products even their fans (I prefer Yate Loon and Papst; they're quiet enough IMO), but you're the boss, so I'll let that go. Looking at your updated setup, I do have one problem. The Seagate 7200.9 hard drive. My brother got one and put it in the Antec 3000B in my signature. That thing runs HOT. While doing some transferring between computers (using the hard drive), I found that without airflow (i.e. hanging outside the case) the 7200.9 gets extremely hot. It was almost too hot to touch. I wouldn't hold my finger on it for more than 5 seconds or so.

I recommend spending the extra $$ and getting one of the new Western Digital drives. Find one that ends with 'KS'. I think those are the newer models. Or, you could get one of the tried and true Samsungs but those are more expensive than even the Western Digital drives usually. Either one of those should be much cooler than the Seagate 7200.9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136003

IMO, that's one of the major drawbacks about the Nexus case. There's almost no airflow over the hard drives. Also, like others have mentioned before, the PSU is taking in alot of hot air from the CPU, which could cause it to ramp up.
Last edited by stromgald on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:09 pm

I'd go with a different case, PSU, HD, and source the CPU from another vendor. Techonweb and tankguys list the E6600 for a fair bit less, but alas, they're both out of stock.

EDIT: I'd try a Scythe Ninja for semi-passive (exhaust) cooling, too.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Howard wrote:I'd go with a different case, PSU, HD,
The plain fact about the Nexus 3500 and 4090 PSUs is that they were quiet when they were released 3 & 2.5 years ago, and that made them popular here. But they were otherwise not advanced. The NX3500 had efficiency below 70%. Its bigger brother measured 10% higher, but in reviewing the test data, I know there were errors; no way it would reach even 75% in our test bench today. The NX3500 did not even comply with ATX12V v1.3 -- the then current standard. The current standard today is v2.2.

I would not recommend them to anyone building a new machine based on motherboards and CPUs released this year.

eckre

Post by eckre » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 am

That's interesting that these power supplies were released 2.5-3 years ago (2003) Because the 400 watt Nexus PSU I have in my system has the 24 Pin main power connector to the motherboard, which, just the technology, hit the market about 1.5 year ago (April 2005). And Nexus released this specific PSU late 2005. Maybe they've got some psychics working @ nexus...

Read: Nexus has updated their PSU's, regardless of whatever anyone says. I have one in my system that's updated to all the standards. Bottom line: It works with the "motherboards and CPUs released this year." Unless there is some other CPU's people were looking forward to this year I am unaware about: it *is* possible that I am using older hardware, that may be more compatible with these antiquated Nexus PSU's. I mean It's August 15th, 2006, today, my antiquated hardware was released July 27, 2006 (E6600/965P), and became really available a week after. You know how fast the computer world works.

Efficiency? Is this website called EPCR? Efficiency Personal Computer Review or is this all about Silence? I thought the priority was #1 silence above all things. As long as my computer works, and it works perfect, flawlessly and entirely stable with the latest hardware, and is very very very quiet, I'm sorry but I don't care a rats-arse about a 10% efficiency loss in a PSU vs some other brand which costs twice as much. It would take years to pay for itself, if you're whining about electricity costs.

PS you can get 2GB ram here

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/481580 ... IN_RSLT_PG

$160, save you $18 if you don't mind the brand.