New system. Very quiet core 2 duo!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JayJay

New system. Very quiet core 2 duo!

Post by JayJay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:43 am

Hello all, A Swedish guy here looking to buy a computer for an estimated 3000$ USD.

My absolute goal is a very very very quiet pc powerful enough to run large calculationprograms simultaneously on windows vista with very quick loadtimes and with no lag.

I only use the computer for calculating stuff and other various desktop tools. = No grafic/video editing. I dont play games either, and if I do it will be a grand theft auto type of game.

The parts ive decided for after weeks of reading are:

Case: Antec P180B (looking good, silent and had great reviews)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775
PSU: Seasonic S12 550W energy+ (very low noise at 200W-250W)
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum (fit my needs)
CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 with a Nexus Real Silent 120mm fan (had great reviews)
Grease for cpu: Arctic Cooling MX-1

Any opinion of those?

And the things I need help with from you guys are:

Harddrives: Need fast drives here so the load/start times of my programs and windows do not lag. I am thinking of 2x WD raptor-X 150gb in raid, but ive noticed they are not sata2.Will that do any difference since they are in raid already? Or are 2 sata2 drives better?
The seek noise doesnt affect me, it is the idle noise that needs to be low.

Motherboard: Should not conflict with my setup. Should have built in gbit lan.

Ram memory: 2x2048mb or 4x1024mb? Brand? latency? I have _NO_ idea what the differences are and what to get.

Grafic card: I am not a gamer, but the gfx card need to work with upcoming vista without any flaws/lag.

Various fans/cooling: I need a good airflow in my pc to the lowest noise possible.. what type of fans should I get, which type of fan controls, at what speeds/volt should they run to be as effective as possible to the lowest noise generated by them, how many? and where should they be installed?

Please help me in this jungle folks :)

Thanks... Jay
Last edited by JayJay on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:03 am

You shouldn't say that you want a SILENT computer. Silence has a connotation of completely passive (no moving parts except hard drives) around here, and those systems are generally costly and not that high powered. What you want is a very quiet, high end system.

I wouldn't get the Thermalright Ultra-120. The Scythe Ninja performs better a low airflow (which is what you'll want to keep the system quiet).

A Sesonic S12 550W is overkill for your system. A 380W version should be plenty and will save you some money. I don't think that one is significantly quieter than the other.

For the motherboard, I'd get a high-end ASUS board. They're generally high quality, passive, and have a plethora of features. They also tend to be fairly good at overclocking. An ASUS P5W or P5B are pretty high end ASUS boards you might consider.

For the hard drives, I don't think the Raptors will provide that big of a performance boost. They tend to be noisier and vibrate more than Western Digital's mainstream 'KS' drives. If you need that last bit of performance and really think that it will acutally have a significant impact on your windows load time, then go ahead. The new Raptors have just about the best performance/noise for a drive. I'm just saying the actual system performance boost from a mainstream 3200KS to a Raptors is usually not that much.

You probably want a mid-range graphics card for your system. Gigabyte produces a passive 7600GT that should handle Vista ok. It's also fairly inexpensive so what you save can go towards a DX10 card that can truly utilize all of Vista's pretty graphics.

For the cooling, I'd just get 2-3 Nexus fans. You'll probably need one for the exhaust and one for the Scythe Ninja. The S12 will move air in the bottom chamber so you don't need a fan there. The third Nexus fan would be for an extra exhaust or intake if the system needs it. It might not.

chrono

Post by chrono » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:22 am

I'd recommend the Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi.. it's rock solid. (heart touching :P).

I don't even know if you'd benefit from a sound blaster if you got the P5B. Depends on your sound setup I guess, but it's got an optical out and doesn't need to rely on onboard DAC if you use it.. If you are using an external amp with optical in, there's no point for the sound blaster upgrade.

The WiFi works perfectly well, and required little to no setup. So! That's my recommendation.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:45 am

Thanks for your imputs.
You are correct, i will edit my post to remove the silent part. What I want is a very very quiet, high end system.

I know that the 550W is overkill for my system. But the tests in spcr showed that the Seasonic 550W energy+ had lower noise when running 200-250W than any other fan-equipped psu. Thats why I chose it.

stromgald:
spcr's test (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article646-page3.html and scroll down to comparisation) and many other sites show that the ultra-120 is better than the ninja in both high and low airflows. So I wont change my mind about that.

about the PSU, according to http://www.silentpcreview.com/article656-page4.html (scroll down to 6. FAN, FAN CONTROLLER and NOISE) which has been confirmed by other sites too. you can see that Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550/650 has the lowest dBA@1m rating among other seasonic for all watts between 150-300W. And also lowest if you compare them to other brands.

Thanks for the tip on the graficcard. I will definetly look more into that one. Should work well for my needs, and as you said.. they arent expensive either.

So I will need 3 nexus fans (1 for cpu and 2 for the case) but ive seen two different types of that fan. One is orange and one is black/white. Is there any difference between this or just the color?
Are there any fans that produce lower noise? or are nexus "the best" when it comes to noise/airflow capacity?

I will look into the Asus motherboards and read some tests, to decide between a couple, need more research there.

what about the ram memories? would really need some ideas there. Since that is the only part of the computer I am not very familiar with. So many types, so different prices. I will not be overclocking, and if I did (which would be after some year) I wouldnt reach over the 3gb limit anyway.

Could anyway confirm that there wont be much difference in buying a raptor X 10000rpm drive, and a normal 7200rpm drive? I really want fast loadtimes/programstarts and to rar/unrar files quick. Because there is a big price difference here.

Thanks again.

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:10 am

JayJay wrote:I know that the 550W is overkill for my system. But the tests in spcr showed that the Seasonic 550W energy+ had lower noise when running 200-250W than any other fan-equipped psu. Thats why I chose it.
Yes, but a system with an E6600 and a single mid-range graphics card will very rarely if ever break 200 watts.

edit: to back this up,
Intel spec for E6600: 65 watts TDP. Intel's TDP ratings represent the highest load reasonably possible in real life
7600GT: measured by xbitlabs at 36 watts at peak 3D load
Raptors: measured by SPCR at 12.2 watts when seeking. Label says 0.75 A on 12 V line and 0.9 A on 5 V line, which results in manufacturer specified maximum of 13.5 watts.

So far this adds up to 128 watts on full load. Add motherboard (~30 W at most), RAM (~20 W for four sticks), X-Fi (no clue, guessing ~15 W at most - note how the chip doesn't even have a heatsink on it, let alone a fan). These are liberal figures, the actual measurements are probably lower. This results in 193 watts with everything in the system going at maximum load, which is unrealistic. Your system will probably idle under 100 watts.
Last edited by qviri on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:35 am

Sorry about the Ninja suggestion. I got confused between the Ultra-120 and another heatsink review I read where the fins were to tightly packed. :oops:

For the fans, I think Nexus is generally considered the quietest, especially when undervolted. But Nexus fans don't move much air, and I don't think they would win the cfm/dB comparison. I generally prefer Yate Loon or Papst low-speed fans because they move more air and can get close to the Nexus' level of quietness when undervolted. The orange and black&white versions are supposed to be the same. They carry the same model number and have the same values for cfm and noise from Nexus: http://www.nexustek.nl/120mmcasefan.htm

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:00 am

VÄLKOMMEN!

concerning the drives, i think you'll be happy and for sure more quiet with silent 7.2k drives. i run the samsung 80gb sata-drive myself and i'm very happy with it! don't bother with sata2.

a tower-style hs is a good recommendation for the p180b, it makes ducting easier if you wanna go nuts with the silence later or from the start. look around, there's plenty of people who has modded the p180 to be very quiet even at overclocking and gaming setups.

i must agree with qviri, people (not to mention the industry) very much exaggerate the power needs. check out the nice old thread on how much a 300w psu will run viewtopic.php?t=3075. you'll be surprised...

regards, kent.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:44 am

kentc wrote:VÄLKOMMEN!

concerning the drives, i think you'll be happy and for sure more quiet with silent 7.2k drives. i run the samsung 80gb sata-drive myself and i'm very happy with it! don't bother with sata2.

a tower-style hs is a good recommendation for the p180b, it makes ducting easier if you wanna go nuts with the silence later or from the start. look around, there's plenty of people who has modded the p180 to be very quiet even at overclocking and gaming setups.

i must agree with qviri, people (not to mention the industry) very much exaggerate the power needs. check out the nice old thread on how much a 300w psu will run viewtopic.php?t=3075. you'll be surprised...

regards, kent.
Tack :)

I agree too, and I know that my system will draw around 150W.. but as I said in my first post.. I havent found ANY PSU that has lower noise than the one I wrote about. Plus this would also allow me to upgrade in the future if I want a better/faster graficcard.
If there are other, please enlighten me :)

There is however Silentmaxx Fanless 400W which I did concider but the temperatures from it are scarying me.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:55 pm

stromgald wrote:I wouldn't get the Thermalright Ultra-120. The Scythe Ninja performs better a low airflow (which is what you'll want to keep the system quiet).
I don't think this statement is valid. According to SPCR tests Ultra-120 was better than Ninja with Nexus@12V, Nexus@9V and Nexus@7V. When Nexus was at 5V they were equal. There was no other tests. And Nexus@5V is _very_ close to silent. In most cases (pun intended) Nexus can be used with voltage over 5 with practically no added noise - even 1000rpm (12V) is quite quiet.

It really looks like Ultra-120 is clearly the better heatsink - unless no fan at all is used. See these results:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article646-page3.html

(Remember, noise recordings were done with NO case at all in very silent environment, 5V readings were below the ambient noise floor...If you put the mobo inside your case, the figures will be even lower.)

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:07 pm

For 3000$, you don't really have to do any compromises. Just get best of everything. Btw the raptor X is a gamer model of the plain raptor, featuring things like semi-transparent casing. Mechanically and electrically they are identical so just get the regular model.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:15 pm

Actually the X-model is worse. It has lower MTBF figure than the normal version.

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2 ... DFD_2.html

(I also think that it is an overkill. It produces more noise and the performance difference is quite small. And it is very expensive.)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:24 pm

You didn't say whether you plan to overclock, and if so, how aggressively.

Serious overclocking requires overvolting, and boosts the CPU wattage to about 100. This requires a Ninja/Ultra/Infinity/HR-01 class heat sink for quiet cooling. Any of these will work well, even with ridiculously slow fans (see my sig).

On the other hand if you plan to stay at stock or modest overclocking (no overvolting), you can step back to less manly heat sinks such as the XP-120 or SI-120/128.

Of the high-end heat sinks, the Ultra is the hardest to duct if you choose to do that. The HR-01 is easiest (it comes with a duct).

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:51 pm

JayJay wrote:I will not be overclocking, and if I did (which would be after some year) I wouldnt reach over the 3gb limit anyway.
Doesn't sound like mad voltmods are high on his priority list.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:29 pm

If you're not going to OC, you might consider the Intel G965RY. It has a low price, good features, and onboard graphics that are Vista-ready. If you find you need a bit more gaming power, you can always add something later. It doesn't have RAID, but do you really need it?

dearthz

Re: New system. Very quiet core 2 duo!

Post by dearthz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:05 pm

JayJay wrote:
The parts ive decided for after weeks of reading are:

Case: Antec P180B (looking good, silent and had great reviews)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775
PSU: Seasonic S12 550W energy+ (very low noise at 200W-250W)
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum (fit my needs)
CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 with a Nexus Real Silent 120mm fan (had great reviews)
Grease for cpu: Arctic Cooling MX-1

Any opinion of those?

And the things I need help with from you guys are:

Harddrives: Need fast drives here so the load/start times of my programs and windows do not lag. I am thinking of 2x WD raptor-X 150gb in raid, but ive noticed they are not sata2.Will that do any difference since they are in raid already? Or are 2 sata2 drives better?
The seek noise doesnt affect me, it is the idle noise that needs to be low.

Motherboard: Should not conflict with my setup. Should have built in gbit lan.

Ram memory: 2x2048mb or 4x1024mb? Brand? latency? I have _NO_ idea what the differences are and what to get.

Grafic card: I am not a gamer, but the gfx card need to work with upcoming vista without any flaws/lag.

Various fans/cooling: I need a good airflow in my pc to the lowest noise possible.. what type of fans should I get, which type of fan controls, at what speeds/volt should they run to be as effective as possible to the lowest noise generated by them, how many? and where should they be installed?

Please help me in this jungle folks :)

Thanks... Jay
SATA 2 is just a gimmick. seriously, it makes no difference whether you are running sata 1 or sata2. if someone tell you that sata 2 performs better, he has to be a cyborg to be able to notice that. raptor is by far the fastest hdd for consumer. wow 10000 rpm.. but man, if u want anything faster, u will be looking at those enterprise/server based hdd, those 15000 rpm scsi hdd

mobo.hmm. i can give u 3 recommendations. if are on budget, i mean extreme shoestring budget, consider asrock 945g mobo. it supports gigabit lan, and the whole usual bunch. just dont expect to OC it. again it is dirt cheap.i think it is around 100 US$. Moving up to perfomance sectorm u can go for abit ab9 (around 160US$). this mobo, is really stable. when u do a google check, u probably realise that this mobo has lots of problems. but they are all fixed after updatint the bios to the latest version. btw, i am using this mobo for building up my brother computer so, i know that it is stable. but with your e6600, don't expect to be able to OC it to anything higher that 370fsb. all 965 chipset have troubles OC-ing to 400fsb using high end CPU(E6600,E6700,E6800). But, if u use e6400 and e6300, u can certainly reach 400fsb. Moving on to the extreme sector, we have asus P5WDH DELUXE(yeah baby, yeah, thats my motherboard).this mobo, is the best mobo out there atm. stability, OC capability. man this mobo has all the gimmicks and best of all, it has built it wireless. Of course, all these comes at a premium (around 300 US$). but, if money is no object to u, this is the one mobo that won't let u down.

ram. omg are u insane. everyone know that dual channel memory is the best. never ever put more than 2 memory in your system without sacrificing performance. personally, i go for 2*1024 ddr2 ram. in terms of speed it depends on your budget. if u plan to OC, go for ddr800, if not u will be better off with ddr667. using ddr 667 and stock cpu speed, ur ratio will be a 1:1. comparing it against ddr800 and stock cpu speed(2:3 ratio), the ddr667 wins on latency test, but loses out in syntethic test and extreme gaming. what i mean by extreme gaming is playing cod2 or oblivion at 1600x1200 with full aa, af, etc.

most of the graphic card u buy know will work with vista, but it won's support directx10. maybe a bios update will fix this, but there is no guarantee on that. if i were u, i will go for a dirt cheap gfx now (6200TC or 1300pro) and wait until dx10 gfx card comes out and then spends my money on them. i just build a new comp for my brother and he has the same needs as u. so i get him a 6200 as he only play warcraft then when dx10 comes out, i will get him a good dx10 gfx card.

coolings.hmm. how i love these. if u don't intend to OC, i would suggest getting a thermalright Ultra-90 and then u can either whack a Nexus and run it at 5V or run the heatink passively. there is no point in getting the best CPU cooler out there if u are not doing OC at all. the stock intel hsf will also do a good job. even though it is noisy, but after underclocking it to 5v, its all good. the same goes with intake and exhaust fans. ANtec p180b comes with tricool fan. these fans are loud at 12v, but it is silent at 5v and 7v. if u dont do OC, u just need 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan and underclock them to 5v or 7v.regarding your gfx, i recommend getting zalman vf-900cu. this cooling is among the top gfx cooller out there. but, at full speed this cooler is a bit noisy. however, all zalman cooler colmes with fan speed controller, so u can lower the voltages to 5V. and if u are more adventerous, u can go for silent heatsink for your gfx.just make sure u dont use it for heaviy 3d task for too long.

moving on to OC now baby this is what i love. i assume u are looking at performance and silent. so u can get these: thermalright Ultra-120 +Nexus at 12V, Nexus fans for intake At 12V and Nexus fans for exhaust at 12V and Zalman Vf-900CuLed. ANtec p180b allows u to put a number of fans. while more fans mean cooler cpu, but more fans also mean more noise. even if u are using nexus, if u put like 7 nexus in there, it will be noisier than putting in 3 nexus. so its all up to u. for fan controller, any fan controller should be ok. u can go for thos fancy ones with temperature monitor and built in lcd and card reader etc, or u can go for those cheap ones with onyl handle knobs to turn up the voltages or turn them down

floffe

Post by floffe » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:16 am

Actually, DDR2-667 will be 5:4, considering that that standard FSB is 266MHz, quadpumped to 1066. DDR2-800 will be 3:2. DDR2-533 will be 1:1, which means it should give lower latencies (good) but also lower throughput (bad). In most benchmarks DDR2-800 outperforms the others (even without overclocking) so that's what to get.

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:49 am

Hey all, thanks for the tip of the mobo and the graficcard, ive done some thinking and my setup is as following:

Case: 200$ Antec P180B rev2
CPU: 395$ Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775
PSU: 200$ Seasonic S12 550W energy+
Mobo: 270$ Asus P5W DH Deluxe,I975X,Socket-775,ATX, SATAIIx7, Dual-GbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
Ram: 660$ 2x Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's = 4096mb total
Grafic card: 250$ Gigabyte GeForce 7600gt 256MB (GV-NX76T256D-RH) - PCI-E / Silent
Soundcard: 260$ Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
CPU cooling: 80$ Thermalright Ultra-120
Grease: 10$ Arctic Cooling MX-1
Harddrives: - waiting for reply from storagereview.com forum. Either 2x raptor 150gb or 2x 7200rpm drives. ( http://forums.storagereview.net/index.p ... opic=23664 )
Fans: 60$ 3x Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm (38cfm, >20dba, 1000rpm) according to a test.

Total: 2125$ +harddrives

My budget is ~3000$
Prices are what I would pay for them in sweden.
Am I missing anything?
I know the PSU is an overkill but it is 21dba at 100-200W which is very low, havent found any lower unless I go fanless.
I do think I might skip the soundcard and test the built in one and see if its okey. I tend to connect it to my stereo surround system.

Ive been doing alot of research about the Sharkoon fans, and so far they seem to be the best fans out there. Strangly spcr havent reviewed them, ive done some searching on the forum too and they are impressive.
Moving a total of ~36cfm at only 1000rpm while keeping 19dBA.
custompc did test 50 fans, and the sharkoon silent eagle stood out.
viewtopic.php?t=32919
http://tinyurl.com/ya7obb

What about the ram? Is it a good choice should I pick another one?
As I said previously, I have no idea what timings and stuff are for ram. I just want them to work smoothly with the other parts ive intend to order.

Will this parts work well with eachother? Any other suggestions?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:50 am

Ive been doing alot of research about the Sharkoon fans, and so far they seem to be the best fans out there.
I don't think they're anything special to be honest, any fan with a good sleeve bearing rotating at 1000rpm or less is going to be pretty quiet. Yate Loons are probably slightly cheaper and just as good:

Ebay Yate Loon shop

SPCR have a big fan review coming up (long time coming!).