Powerful but Quiet PC Advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheBuzzer

Powerful but Quiet PC Advice

Post by TheBuzzer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:58 pm

Well here is my choice:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wis ... er=4608286

the power supply before i changed back to a corsair 620 was the:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

I am trying to make a powerful pc that is quiet too.

This stuff is what I have so far.

Howard

Post by Howard » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Whoah, too much $$$

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Ill be you personal consultant and help you build a new computer and save you a WHOLE lot of money for a measily $400. :D
I could shave $1100. off of that build without losing much if any speed.

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:33 pm

well if u can save me 1100 dollars without changing the parts and the store than we have a deal.

TedMC
Patron of SPCR

Post by TedMC » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:39 pm

TheBuzzer wrote:well if u can save me 1100 dollars without changing the parts and the store than we have a deal.
LOL.
But I havent seen the benchs yet but is C2Q6700 faster in each core than C2D6800 EE? I say that because I've seen a couple of reviews that show the 8800 needing the absolute fastest cpu. (i.e. there isnt a plateau there yet where a faster cpu doesnt give better gpu performance.)
Also while youre at it get yourself 4 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185005

And since you are gonna drop down the $ for an 8800 no reason to use that cheap kb/mouse you picked out
Heres a good mouse
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826153003
heres a good kb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823126179
And one of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813999251
You will want to install one of the fans in the lower chamber and wire it to the 3 position switch on the zalman,the other 3 fans on the variable controllers. When its time to start the game.....turn up the fans and switch on the lower fan
Now u rdy to pwn

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:22 am

well i dont like wired mouse that is the main problem.

i pull too much. and mouse wire tend to be too short mostly so it later breaks by wire pulling.

ur looking at reviews of stuff not made for quad cores yet. if u look at stuff using quad core your see a difference in speed.

also that mouse doesnt seem to have extra side buttons. I use those to do quick buys.

wired keyboard is fine for me but i like wireless mouse.

fans. those look cheap. isnt there better fans to get?

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:38 am

also would i really have to switch fan speeds? couldn't it run good even if I am gamming?

TedMC
Patron of SPCR

Post by TedMC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:52 am

TheBuzzer wrote:well i dont like wired mouse that is the main problem.

i pull too much. and mouse wire tend to be too short mostly so it later breaks by wire pulling.

ur looking at reviews of stuff not made for quad cores yet. if u look at stuff using quad core your see a difference in speed.

also that mouse doesnt seem to have extra side buttons. I use those to do quick buys.

wired keyboard is fine for me but i like wireless mouse.

fans. those look cheap. isnt there better fans to get?
mouse for gamers that dont like wired mouses

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104158

what games are made for quad core....better yet what games are made for dual core?

Read the spcr fan review recently published

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html

TedMC
Patron of SPCR

Post by TedMC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:54 am

TheBuzzer wrote:also would i really have to switch fan speeds? couldn't it run good even if I am gamming?
I play GRAW...when I launch that game my cpu usage shoots to 100% and stays there until I shut the game down.....SO FANS on LOW when not playing...and FANS on high when playing.

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:15 am

do you have a qx6700?

based on the benchmarks the cores only use about 50 percent when playing games.

also doesn't the motherboard adjust the fan speed to cool if needed?

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:25 am

TheBuzzer wrote:also doesn't the motherboard adjust the fan speed to cool if needed?
I believe that's only if you have the stock cooler or a fan with a 4-pin fan header (not Molex) as shown here.

I know Seagates are a bit faster, but there's cooler/quieter drives available (WD Caviar SE16, Samsung SpinPoint T-series).

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:31 pm

I was saying there are better parts for cheaper. You can downgrade that cpu and save a ton of money and never notice the difference.

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:39 pm

or i could have this cpu and laugh at all the ppl that didnt get quad core when more stuff for it comes out.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:28 am

TheBuzzer wrote:or i could have this cpu and laugh at all the ppl that didnt get quad core when more stuff for it comes out.
And by then, they can buy a lower-clocked model for less than half the price and OC it to be just as fast as yours. :wink:

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:58 am

The Seagate 7200.10 is loud and emits a high pitch whine while idling. A real dog in the silence world.

680i motherboard - lots of bugs still and performance is about on par with intel's 975X chipset. Something to consider. Oh yeah, the Scythe Ninja is reportedt to be incompatible with that board.

The X-fi fatal1ty is a monumental waste of money.
The X-RAM is useless since only a couple games actually make use of it and even then the improvement is tiny. Stick to the X-fi Xtreme Audio card. Take a look at those numbers that Creative claims X-RAM will improve performance by - they are comparing X-RAM sound cards to motherboard sound. Nearly all of the performance gain is coming from the card - not the extra memory. Over-priced marketing fluff.

The memory you selected is also a huge waste of money.
You only need DDR2-533 to run the memory synchronously at stock FSB. If you plan on overclocking, DDR2-800 is more than sufficient. If you want to blow your money on memory get something it better timings rather than raw speed. You won't even come close to getting a stable OC at 400 FSB with that chip so anything higher than DDR2-800 is pointless.

Monitor - Bad monitor if you plan on using it with something other than a computer (hooking up a gaming console, DVD player, etc.) because it resizes everything to 16:10 no matter what the source aspect ratio was. A tad pricy too. I opted for the Dell 2407 (got it for $580+tax when they gave a double 15% discount)

I'm surprised you want to use a wireless mouse but want the absolute best gaming system. Wireless mice have a higher latency than wired mice (or so lots of gamers claim) which can effect your reaction times.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Just because something costs more does not mean it is better. I can build a system that would perform identical for half that amount of money. So if you want to just blow $1100. thats your deal. :lol:

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm

jackylman wrote:
TheBuzzer wrote:or i could have this cpu and laugh at all the ppl that didnt get quad core when more stuff for it comes out.
And by then, they can buy a lower-clocked model for less than half the price and OC it to be just as fast as yours. :wink:

but u already wasted money buying ur previous cpu. also your overclocking so overclocking is for the poor ppl that can't support the hardware makers.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:38 pm

pyogenes wrote: Monitor - Bad monitor if you plan on using it with something other than a computer (hooking up a gaming console, DVD player, etc.) because it resizes everything to 16:10 no matter what the source aspect ratio was. A tad pricy too. I opted for the Dell 2407 (got it for $580+tax when they gave a double 15% discount)
Apparently they're now shipping with the promised firmware fix which allows 1:1 pixel mapping whichever input you use (all monitors made after 5th December have the update). I suppose it depends on how much old stock the retailer has to clear, but with NewEgg's turnover I should think the new ones will have filtered through by now.

Probably worth phoning just to be on the safe side though, if it might be an issue for you.

TheBuzzer

Post by TheBuzzer » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:22 pm

it is amazing that so many differnet stuff are having firmware upgrades now :)

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:44 pm

TheBuzzer wrote:
jackylman wrote:

but u already wasted money buying ur previous cpu. also your overclocking so overclocking is for the poor ppl that can't support the hardware makers.
That's just silly. With that line of thinking I sure hope you don't have any pirated mp3s and always pay the state use-tax when you buy goods from out-of-state.

But please continue to blow your money on the overpriced goods. I own AMD and Intel stock so you're doing me a favor. :-D

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:50 pm

TheBuzzer wrote:but u already wasted money buying ur previous cpu.
You can recover most of the cost by selling it and you don't have to spend 4 figures (or anywhere near it) to get a good CPU.
also your overclocking so overclocking is for the poor ppl that can't support the hardware makers.
Well, maybe they should lower their prices so that a pennypincher like me would support them. But they don't need to do that because people with money to burn are willing to pay a huge premium just to (momentarily) have the best money can buy. That's capitalism. If you want to fund Intel's R&D, that's fine with me. Personally, I can think of better uses for my hard-earned dollar.

As for your assertion that OC'ing is for poor people: LOL :roll:

student

Post by student » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:49 am

@pyogenes: How come you own both AMD & INTEL stock?

@thebuzzer: A X6800 will be a lot faster than a QX6700 for gaming, not to mention a lot more overclockable. Its also a very similar price so you still get to pee off the people trying to help you in this thread. haha! Why not get a X6800 now and have top performance and then upgrade to a quad core cpu when games that can take advantage of it come out? I think it will take at least 12 months before you see a worthwhile bunch of quad core enabled titles by which point, there will be greater/cheaper quad core CPU's to pick from.

You will also want a stellar set of THX certified 5.1 or 7.1 speakers to go with that soundcard. Speakers are much more important than the soundcard when it comes to sound quality you can actually hear.

What advantages does a Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series have over its cheaper NON Fatal1ty cousin?

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:27 am

student wrote:@pyogenes: How come you own both AMD & INTEL stock?
Well, I'm not him, but I can guess that if you assume the market for CPUs and flash RAM and all the other elecronics Intel and AMD make) is going to increase then owning both of their stock will cause your investment, on average, to increase with the total market, as there will be essentially no new players in that field, Thus, it is possible that both will increase and almost certain that if one decreases, the other will more than make up for this.

Of course, this is not stock advice.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:51 am

Scrooge wrote:
student wrote:@pyogenes: How come you own both AMD & INTEL stock?
Well, I'm not him, but I can guess that if you assume the market for CPUs and flash RAM and all the other elecronics Intel and AMD make) is going to increase then owning both of their stock will cause your investment, on average, to increase with the total market, as there will be essentially no new players in that field, Thus, it is possible that both will increase and almost certain that if one decreases, the other will more than make up for this.

Of course, this is not stock advice.
If I thought the entire sector was going to increase, that would be my reasoning (although I usually opt for mutual funds if I want to invest in a sector). However, I based these specific purchases on the individual merits of the company and overall investment strategy.

AMD I bought over 3.5 years ago when I thought they had a good chance of stealing lots of Intel's marketshare over a few years. Since I'm relatively young and still single, my investment strategy calls for some higher risk investments - this was one of them. It worked out well other than the part where I didn't sell last January when it was at $40+...

Intel pays dividends so as long as the stock price grows at the rate of inflation as long as I hold onto it, i'll profit. This is one of the "safe" investments in my portfolio.

this is only stock advice if you a time machine handy :lol: