Wow! Intel PicoBTX - this one slipped under the radar

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nzimmers

Wow! Intel PicoBTX - this one slipped under the radar

Post by nzimmers » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 am

had no idea this even existed: Intel Pico BTX on Newegg

I am a big fan of Small form factor, and for those that are looking to build a small system and use a LGA 775 cpu like conroe, this thing should be of interest

can't find any review of it, looks longer than it is wide....like it's meant for one of those shuttle small cases..... has got 4xSATA but no IDE but it does have 1xPCIE

anyone else feel like me and just wanna buy it cause it's small???

=)

nz

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:59 am

It would make a great HTPC board IMO if it had optical out, and S-video (with adapters for the other formats) out.

I personally liked BTX at least in the smaller case sizes, the idea was great. It would be even better now that Intel has gotten it's power consumption under control.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:24 am

Kind of a weird-looking form-factor. Narrow in width but deep front to back. What kind of cases would that fit into?

SATA connector placement seems pretty inconvenient.

nzimmers

very strange board

Post by nzimmers » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 am

very strange Motherboard - here's a link to a case, bad pic : http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... DT&cat=CAS

and look at this page, about halfway down: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=1876

I think Uatx (also known as MicroATX) is a tad smaller overall

I recently purchased the MSI 945GT Speedster-A4R, which does have S-video and optical out, but it's a mobile cpu support MB, which is it's own bag of tricks. right now the MSI board is only about $137, I think alot cheaper then when it first came out.

there's lots of microATX boards that are more suitable in the LGA775 flavor, but this picoATX is kind of interesting.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Wow! Intel PicoBTX - this one slipped under the radar

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:36 am

nzimmers wrote:had no idea this even existed:
Your radar must have been turned off back in Sept 2003 when we started discussing the various BTX form factors. :)