The sliding cable covers in P180 leaks hot air

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

where?wolf

The sliding cable covers in P180 leaks hot air

Post by where?wolf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:09 am

I have noticed, since i removed the fan in the psu tunnel of my P180 (b). And replaced my Thermalright XP 90 and Nexus fan for a Ninja plus rev. B.
That the case temp have gone up some degrees.

The cpu temps is fine, when running the Ninja ducted to the rear exhaust fan. No complaints there.

The temperatures on my 2 Raptor hdds also did go up, when removing the psu / hd chamber fan. But that whas an expected thing.

They where around 38 - 40C max.

But I have been pondering over what may have caused this for some time now.

Then it struck me. That maybe the sliding covers for the psu and hdd cables, maybe leaks hot air from the lower tunnel i.e the air from the hdds? Maybe even some from the top of the psu?

So I started with making a notch in the sliding cover that covers the opening, where you route the hd cables between mobo and the lower hdd cage. Just big enough to fit my 2 SATA cables.

Then I sealed around those psu cable and hd cable covers with some silver tape. finally I sealed around the cables, with some Blue Tack like stuff. You know the Play Doo like, sticky stuff you use to for sticking notes to the fridge for ex.

This stuff is also execellent for damping vibrations btw.

And voila! I checked the temp directly when arriving at the Windows desk. And the case temp where 4 C lower ( 36 max before). Now 32C and seems to stay at that temp. The hd temps 3- 4C lower than without the sealed covers.

And after 2 hours of running, The case temp just have gone up 1C since then. Before doing this "mod" I had temp raise on the hdds pretty fast. But now they stay pretty much the same as when directly after the mod of those covers. I had as said before, 38- 40 C on the 2 Raptors before. Now I have 35 - 37C.

Would be very interesting to hear, if anybody else here have made the same exsperience as I did with those sliding cable covers?

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:03 pm

I've tried something like you did this afternoon, but it didn't help that much... Actually, no temp.diffs. were found.
Maybe I had it closed enough allready.
I don't use a chamberfan. Instead, I'm using a Seasonic S12-430 in the lower chamber with fan-side up. This is pretty logical: warm air rises and I didn't want high ambient temps. in my lower chamber. My temps are <36 C. I use a Hitachi T7K250 @ AAM.

P.S. Of course I taped up the vents around the PSU from the inside.

S.

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Again here.

Do you use a active or passive PSU?
This matters a lot if you've got your holes around the PSU taped up.

If you've got a 120mm-(active)PSU, then you should try the tape-up&no-chamberfan idea.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:25 pm

s_xero wrote:Again here.

Do you use a active or passive PSU?
This matters a lot if you've got your holes around the PSU taped up.

If you've got a 120mm-(active)PSU, then you should try the tape-up&no-chamberfan idea.

Hi!

Sorry, I should of coarce told before what psu, and if I have seald those vents.

I'm using an Antec True Blue 480W psu. Got 2 X 80mm fans. mostly running at 1000 rpm (Have psu fan speed reporting). I think it's a quiet psu.

And I have sealed those vents around the psu on the case.

But the "bottom fan of the psu is facing downwards. Do you think I should flip the psu around?