HTPC with Antec NSK2400 / Silverstone SG01, am I on track?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Swede

HTPC with Antec NSK2400 / Silverstone SG01, am I on track?

Post by Swede » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 pm

I am planning to build a HTPC that will be put inside my TV furniture. It is a closed cupboard, with inner dimensions W55xH36xD47cm (that's W21.6xH14.1x18.5"). The cupboard has a 80mm ventilation hole (really for cabling) at the back, but I will probably need to open it up a bit more or even put a Noctua 120mm fan there to create a little bit better ventilation.

My three top priorities are silence, silence and silence. :) It will mostly be used for TV with timeshift, DVD, surfing. Sooner or later I want to add HD capabilities - Blueray or somesuch, so HDCP on the GPU is necessary. Having it connected to a big LCD and a decent audio setup, gaming would of course be very tempting too. And it will stream music to my squeezebox - those late-night low-volume sessions makes silent operation absolutely necessary.

Price is of course important but not a limiting factor - rather perfect than cheap. :)

So. Given all this, I've been surfing like a maniac the past month trying to find the perfect match. This is what I'm looking at right now:

Chassi - Antec NSK1300
Motherboard - MSI 945GT Speedster-A4R
CPU - Core2Duo T7400
Memory - Corsair TWIN2X DDR2, 2048MB PC5400
GPU - Msi GeForce NX7600GT Diamond Plus
Disk - Western Digital WD5000KS
TV-card - FloppyDTV
DVD writer

And here's my bunch of questions :)

1. Will this work?? The stuff fits in the box, but will it overheat?

2. Am I right in looking at the mobile C2D? Or would I be better of with the E6400? Cheaper, more mobo's to choose from, but also more heat?

3. Is there a better case? The NSK2400 would perhaps fit depth-wise, but I am worried about room for the cabling at the back. Someone suggested the X-Gene Mini, which seem to be perfect in size but has lots of fans (and is also hard to find in Sweden). There's also the SG01. And the mCubed HFX Mini (expensive!).

I would greatly appreciate any input you might have on this!
Last edited by Swede on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

nzimmers

glad I saw your post

Post by nzimmers » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:20 am

first

STOP!!!!!

okay, whew....that was close.

I am currently writing up a review about the MSI 945GT Speedster, it's taking me some time. The board is good but it has problems....you should seriously consider an alternative.

to address your questions:

" 1. Will this work?? The stuff fits in the box, but will it overheat? "

you'll be fine as long as you go with the mobile CPU, you are definitely headed in the right direction.

". Am I right in looking at the mobile C2D? Or would I be better of with the E6400? Cheaper, more mobo's to choose from, but also more heat?"

I firmly believe that you are right - my recent experiance with using a mobile Core Solo has taught me that reducing the heat from the CPU is a BIG factor for making a quiet system.

MSI 945 GT speedster has some problems - the video will cut out before windows finishes loading (although it works just fine in safe mode)

Bios options as listed in the manual are not in the actual bios

if you get this board, try to find an old P4 478 desktop heatsink and the motherboad mounting bracket from a P4 478 motherboard - the included heatsink and fan are very very loud, and you will never have a quiet system.

one of the Abit or Asus boards are probably a better choice at this moment. I still use and like the MSI 945GT speedster, but I use it as a server and just remote desktop into it...

also check the reviews of the board on newegg

I will post the full review when I finish it, but here is what I have typed up for you to look at.

The MSI 945GT Speedster Motherboard in Detail
-----------------------------------------------

Here's the kit in all it's glory.

Oddly, the box has a large orange sticker that says "Server Force". As I started building the system around this motherboard I could tell that MSI had no idea which market they wanted to target with this board...the server market, workstation, or HTPC..... and their eventual lack of commitment does show to some degree.

A four port USB extension and a firewire extension rounded out the usual IDE/Floppy/Sata cables that were included in the kit. The manual was entirely in english and seemed well documented. A driver disk was also included.

One small observation: while installing the ram, it took a lot of force, I mean *a lot*, to get a stick of ram into a virgin DDR2 slot on this board. Honestly, it took more force than I was comfortable with applying...

Disappointment Sets In
---------------------
Now let's take a look at the included heatsink/fan combo. While it was nice of MSI to include this, it didn't take long for me to see that this was pretty much the worst design I have ever seen. The heat sink is "wafer thin" and with the fan attached to the top, there is almost no place for air to clearly flow. I did test the fan out on another motherboard....and yes, it sounds just like a hair-dryer on "high"....totally unacceptable for me, and in a workstation it would probably be annoying at even at low speed. Speedfan reported the fan spinning at an incredible 5,400 rpm! Here are some pics:

That last pic above shows the propriety Heatsink frame with the spring bars. The four holes in the motherboard for heatsink mounting are spaced precisely the same as for the desktop Pentium 4 socket 478, which really worked out great for me as I had a old desktop socket 478 heatsink and mounting frame just sitting in a drawer!

The mounting frame actually came off an old Asus P4P800-VM motherboard. When the CPU finally arrived from the EBay seller (only took 12 days...*groan*) I popped it in and low and behold, I could tell there was quite a gap between top of the on chip heat spreader and the bottom of my P4 heatsink!! having eyeballed it several time and compared the depth of the included heatsink with the P4 heasink, I knew this was going to be an issue.

Abe Lincoln Would Be Proud
---------------------------
Now I was stuck....what to do....what to do....I had about 2 mm of gap that I needed to close....the answer came to me after about 20 seconds of panic. I needed to find a penny minted before 1982, and i needed it now! I sifted through the change drawer and found a nice 1979 example...perfect.

Pennies after 1982 are mostly zinc, lighter than the higher copper content ones minted prior to 1983, and have horrible thermal conductivity. While my 1979 penny wasn't 100% copper, it was *mostly* copper, and would do the trick. I just needed to grind down both sides until they were flat. 15 minutes, a dremel tool, and some mildly cooked fingers (pennies get *hot* when you grind them!) and I had my shim.

A word of caution: Altering US monetary vehicles in any way is a capitol offense and could land you in jail.

The fit was perfect, and locking down the P4 heatsink didn't put undue strain on the motherboard or CPU as the penny was just the right thickness to provide a comfortable level of tension and full contact. The P4 heatsink had a copper core and the Core solo only gives off about 27W at peak utilization, so I figure a mostly flat penny with alot of thermal compound should be fine. And, as it turned out, it works great!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2 - Acoustics, Power Consumption and Over-Clocking experiences
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testing the motherboard and CPU:
----------------------------------
The first thing I wanted to test out was just how much cooling I would need with the P4 heatsink attached. The tests I conducted were open-air test on my table. I used both Prime 95 and Sisoft Sandra interchangibly to tax the cpu to 100%.

- Test 1, turn off CPU fan completely

I started with the CPU at 100% useage at a temperature of 30 degrees centigrade and then simply "pulled the plug" on the CPU fan. The core CPU temperature shot up to about 50 degrees in 5 minutes but then increasing at much slower pace. With no active cooling of any kind (no fans) on any part of the motherboard, the result was pretty interesting. For awhile, it looked like fanless was going to level off at 71-72 centigrade but after 45 minutes it started climbing again and I shut it down when it finally made it to 75 after 1 hour and 6 minutes. Potentially, it looked like it might have stabilized in the low 80's but I'm not interested it pushing it that far. What I gathered from this was the with just the most gentle of airflow, I should be able to achieve reasonable temps at a very low noise level.

- Test 2, No CPU fan but small fan on northbridge

the Northbridge chip is basically right next to the CPU, and with the CPU fan off and only a small accessory fan on Northbridge which did spill some airflow over to the CPU heatsink, the CPU temp stayed at 55 degrees centigrade. That was pretty surprising to me! Again the CPU was at 100% for over 2 hours and this was an open air experiment.

- Test 3, Modified 80mm fan

I scavenged an 80mm fan from an old Compaq micro-atx power supply and adapted it to use the 5 volt rails off the Antec PSU that I would be using. The fan spun nice and slow and was completely inaudible unless if put my ear right down to the fan. The gentelest of airflow from this arrangement was more than enough to keep the CPU at 36 degrees centigrade under a 100% load.

At this time it became clear to me that the single greatest aspect to address when creating a quiet computer is the overall heat dissipation requirements. When you start off with a system that has low power requirements, it's easy to achieve quiet results.

Over Clocking and Power Consumption
------------------------------------------
Using a "Kill A Watt" meter, I tested the motherboard at stock speeds with a 2.5' notebook drive and got 52Watts of consumption at 100% cpu load.

Overclocking the MSI 945GT Speedster motherboard is pretty simple. The bios will only allow you to change the Bus Speed, and there are no voltage options for the CPU.

Core Solo T1200

Bus Speed FSB CPU Speed Super Pi Score Memory Speed Power Consumption
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results with memory divider at 1:1 (667mhz)
BUS166mhz - FSB663 - CPU1.49Ghz - 39s - MEM331mhz - 48W
BUS170mhz - FSB679 - CPU1.53Ghz - 38s - MEM340mhz - 48W
BUS175mhz - FSB700 - CPU1.58Ghz - 37s - MEM350mhz - 50W
BUS180mhz - FSB720 - CPU1.62Ghz - 37s - MEM360mhz - 50W
BUS185mhz - FSB740 - CPU1.66Ghz - 35s - MEM370mhz - 50W
BUS190mhz - FSB760 - CPU1.71Ghz - 35s - MEM380mhz - 52W

Results with memory divider at 5:4 (533mhz)
BUS195mhz - FSB780 - CPU1.75Ghz - 35s - MEM312mhz - 52W
BUS199mhz - FSB795 - CPU1.79Ghz - 34s - MEM318mhz - 52W

The Super Pi utility is not a definitive benchmark by any means, but it did give me a idea about the gains I was getting by overclocking. My best score of completing the Pi calculation out to the 1 millionth place was 34 seconds. Not bad considering I only paid about $50 for the chip.

In comparison to other results I found on the internet, the core solo fits in quite respectably:

Chip Speed 1M Super Pi Score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo 3.00Ghz 19s
Pentium M Dothan 2.67Ghz 28s
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 Toledo 2.8Ghz 31s
Core Solo** 1.79Ghz** 34s**
AMD Athlon 64 Venice 2.5Ghz 35s
AMD Opteron 144 2.7Ghz 33s
AMD Sempron 3200+ Manila 1.8Ghz 49s
AMD Duron Applebred 2.2Ghz 61s
Pentium III 450hz 370s

Overall, I think I made a good choice going with the Core Solo and a new heatsink. Considering the TDP of the Core solo, it stacks up pretty well against desktop CPU's and comparing the low power alternatives:

Chip TDP Super Pi
AMD Sempron 3200+ 35W 49s
pentiumM Dothan 27W 28s (extremely overclocked)
Core Solo 27W 34s (marginally overclocked)

I ended up just running the CPU at the stock speed setting and perhaps in the future, I may bump it up a bit. For now, it has more than enough power for my use.

***Problems****

Driver Downloads at the MSI Website

This should have been a cake walk, but it wasn't. I would classify the ease and availability of finding and downloading new drivers for this board as "A Serious Transgression". Actually I looped around through the same cycle of pages a few times before I figured out how to get out of the loop.... and I'm not easy to fool!. Other things like unnecessary pop up windows, images of the motheboard that are triggers for links but no indication it's link, took me 20 seconds and I had to scroll down to find the support/download secrtion as they didn't put it on the main menu bar up top (WTF) and instead insisted on plastering images of promotional material and ads instead. Hiding the "Download Center" link on the left margin down near the bottom . I could go on and on and on.....they should thank their stars I don't nail them for 15 points, with 8 years of website design experiance for a wide variety of industry sectors, I know a site that has "organizational cancer" when I see it. *sigh*

Heat sink & fan

Looking at the Asus XXX board, we can see what a properly (and economical) heat sink might look like. MSI's decision to go with shard of George Foreman grill and then mount a hair-dryer for a market segment that has no easy to procurr alternative in the retail market... on ebay or over at a friends house, or with some modification, I'm sure you can find something that will work. Honestly though, they could have and... more importantly...should have, done a better job. To some extent, the heat-sink does explain the big bright orange sticker on the box that says "Server Force"... the ultra low profile heat sink would lend itself to a 1U installation as would the potential noise that the fan can generate.

Driver Install

There was no check or warning to let the user know that you need to have SP2 installed in XP already for the chipset INF to properly patch. On a fresh XP install with no updates applied, the INF update installation kept asking for a usbhspd.dll - a file that was not on the CD and not on the windows XP disk, and no mention of the SP2 requirement. Until you get SP2 and the INF update applied, your USB ports are only at 1.1 speed. Newer updates from the MSI website don't include any installation instructions. Currently, there is a firmware patch for the on board NICs that I havent' tried because I would just like to know first...should this be done in DOS or can it be done in windows?..only way to find out is try it - that's just unprofessional.

Outdated drivers included

Purchased the board in December of 2006, but it came with all original drivers - the ones that had been updated 6 months prior were not included. Either I bought a board that had sat on a shelf for 6-9 months, or they didn't bother making new CD's with the recent drivers on them. humm.....

VGA ISSUE

VGA will switch off before windows finishes booting. I have not found a work around for this - still works in safe mode
Last edited by nzimmers on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

StanF

Post by StanF » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:21 am

I'm not a big fan of the NSK-1300. I had the previous version (Aria), and it was not good - very high internal temperatures and loud. YMMV.

The NSK-2400 is a great case, but it is deep. Have you considered a Shuttle Case? Or a Q-pack? or a Microfly? They are more shoebox size, but they are more shallow.

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 am

Looks like audio equipment and is great. If you aren't looking for the Top of the line on power and more towards budget and good power... My setup.

x2 3800 OC to 2.4 = MILD OC
Abit NF-M2 Nview (Optical for sound)
2x1GB TeamGroup DDR2 800
7950GT for HDCP

I have a messy back and I hate the furniture. Looking to buy a nice black one soon.

Swede

Post by Swede » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:53 am

nzimmers - thanks for the great info! I chose the Speedster before Asus due to asus having proprietary heatsink, which can't be replaced - or so I have read. I plan to get silent fans etc everywhere.

StanF, high temperatures and loud doesn't sound too good. I believe the NSK1300 is somewhat better though.. but it is discomforting indeed. The Shuttle cases are so many that I can't pick the correct one... :shock:

Perhaps I'll go for the NSK2400 and hope for the best....

Swede

Post by Swede » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:58 am

FLMJIG - neat. That is something I could be happy with!

Could you do me a small favour and push the Antec as close to the wall as possible (without breaking any cabling or so), and measure from the wall out to the front? Ie, the smallest depth where a door could be closed in front of the case?

Theoretical calculations in all glory but a good old hands-on test always feels best ;)

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:48 am

When I get home I will measure. I have a DVI - HDMI adapter and the the HDMI cable is VERY thick so it sticks out a lot. I'm thinking of gatting a DVI - HDMI cable. Cuts about 3-5 inches off.

I will measure the exact length of the case and include a bit for cabling.

Swede

Post by Swede » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:24 am

Having read up a bit, my current #1 chassi would be the NSK2400 (if it fits my cupboard!) or the Silverstone SG01.

Damn hard to decide..... :?

Swede

Post by Swede » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:36 am

Hohumm. Having thought even more.... The Silverstone SG01 is now on top. Also, I've changed the GPU to a XFX GeForce 7950GT 570M, silently cooled. Is that wise? I know it's maybe a bit overkill but then again.. better safe than sorry. And passive cooling seem really nice, not?

Also, I've added a DVD writer - the Samsung SH-S183A SATA.

The motherboard has 4 SATA contacts, which I will need - one for the disk, one for the DVD, one for the (future) Blueray, and one spare for another disk. That shouldn't be a problem?

As PSU - Seasonic S12-380.

And to replace the silly stock fan on the Speedster, the Silverstone Nitrogon NT06 (if I can find it somewhere!).

So here's the list:
Chassi - Silverstone SG01
PSU - Seasonic S12-380
Motherboard - MSI 945GT Speedster-A4R
CPU cooler - Silverstone Nitrogon NT06
CPU - Core2Duo T7400
Memory - Corsair TWIN2X DDR2, 2048MB PC5400
GPU - XFX GeForce 7950GT 570M (heatpipe)
Disk - Western Digital WD5000KS
TV-card - FloppyDTV
DVD - Samsung SH-S183A SATA

Please - comments? I'm still interested in the minimum depth demand for the NSK2400...

(Edit: Added the full list)

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Ok. The length of the cabinet it's in is 15". It sticks out a bit from the back. The case itself is about 16- 17". You have an idea from that. Add an inch or two for cables.

Sorry for posting so late. Even tired now as I just finished measuring

It is a deep case. But it is really nice.

Swede

Post by Swede » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks for measuring that for me, much appreciated.

However, my problem is precisely that 18" fits, but 19" doesn't... so it really didn't help much I'm afraid :)

But from your measurements I guess I won't try, it just might fit but it'll probably be too tight.

EFoppen

CPU Support

Post by EFoppen » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:08 pm

This week I received this motherboard, with a T7200 Core 2 Duo CPU. According the MSI website, this should work. In reality, it only works with a recent BIOS version. So the computer would not boot, and I could also not update the BIOS.
I contacted MSI in the Netherlands and they offered to flash the chip with the latest version if I could send it to them. I did, and will have it back hopefully tomorrow.
So if you buy it, let the vendor check and upgrade the BIOS to a recent version.

I was indeed somewhat amazed with the small heatsink, and the noise the fan on it produced during my brief tests. I however noticed the speed already went down while I was working with it, and it seems there are options in the BIOS to control it. There is even a Windows util to manage the speed. If this is not working, I will use my Zalman Fanmate to get the noise under control.

Ultimately, I would like to replace the heatsink and fan with a passive cooler, or nearly passive. The NT06 you selected seems not to fit, so I guess you have the tools to make it fit?

Would be great if you could share some pictures of how you made it fit and what it required.

Swede

Post by Swede » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Ah yes. The BIOS/CPU problem... been there, done that, got the Celeron.

I actually bought a Celeron M410 processor ($80 something, 500SEK) to be able to upgrade the BIOS. In with Celeron, upgrade bios, switch to T7400. Sometimes I just hate computers.

Regarding heatsink.... I chose the Speedster because I read somewhere that it was a standard heatsink. That it might be, but the "heatsink retention module" isn't standard - it has some kind of levers instead of mounting holes. So in order to fit another fan you have to find a standard P4 / socket478 Heatsink Retention Module. They are for sale in the US for about $2 but when that arrives in Sweden the cost will have risen to $50 or so, including shipping, cutoms, VAT, and all other nice charges. Aaargh.

The good news is that the T-series CPU doesn't get very hot. When idling (or leisure surfing) you can actually turn the fan off (and I don't even have proper thermal paste applied on the heatsink). I have attached the Noctua L.N.A (low noise adapter, really a resistor that lowers the voltage to some 7 volts or so) which makes the fan much more silent. I have the 80mm Noctua fan at the side intake, using the U.L.N.A for it (no prices for guessing what U means). And I have removed the back fan... we'll see how that works.

I also bought a MSI 7600GT Diamond Plus GPU and a Zalman VF900-CU cooler for it. Of course it almost didn't fit, computers hate me - there is a capacitor that's a bit in the way. It seem to work anyway though but problem #2 is that it is designed to get power from the motherboard, for some reason - the GPU got power for the fan already. But this means that I actually can't use the back fan anyway....

Oh yes, and that NT06... I guess the socket 775 motherboards has a different layout, the CPU is placed under the PSU on those. The 479 motherboards has the CPU between the PSU and the DVD... nothing will fit there, it seems. Especially since it is very very close to the GPU... however, I think the Zalman 7500 (?something) will fit, or a Arctic Cooling Ultra TC4 (which is what I have and will install as soon as I find that heatsink retention module).

This is my first computer build (ever!) so all in all I think I've done a pretty good job. I'm almost finished now and the case is pretty silent. Actually, the noisiest part in the case now is the WD5000AAKS, vibrating right into my desk. If I put some soft stuff under the case feet I have to listen very hard to hear it 10 feet away, midnight, in my very silent flat - with the case open.

I'll try to take some pictures when I'm finished.

EFoppen

DVI working?

Post by EFoppen » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Using the computer for a couple of days now. I think I have a cheap solution for the 'wining' 6cm cpu heatsink fan: I am planning to add a 6 to 8cm fan adapter on it so I can use a slow 8cm with it. It is not necessary and not cost effective to change the heatsink as it hardly gets warm.

I have many problems with the onboard VGA. I once had it working running Vista 32-bit, but only the analog connection and at a max of 1024x768 (but it did Aero).
Then I switched over to DVI - no screen after the first Vista boot screens. From the sound you can tell the computer is booting fine and I could actually log on blindly. The DVI works in Safe Mode.
Moving back to the analog connector, that one suddenly also does not work anymore!
Tried new drivers, last known good ... everything.

Now back on a passively cooled 7600GS but this in total is generating more heat and consuming power (74watt in idle mode vs 62watt without the PCI-e VGA) than I would like to.

nzimmers

I figured out the video problems

Post by nzimmers » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:26 pm

okay, I was able to fix the "no video in windows" problem

this issue is that the Intel Graphics driver doesn't have default setting after the install

Here's what you can try (not sure if this will work in vista)

boot into safe mode, right click on the desktop, select "graphic options" and then select "output to" -> "monitor"

for some reason mine was set to "notebook" and what that is and why it's there I have no idea

changing this setting will fix yoru video problems

also, you will need to adjust the video setting for DVI and DSUB output seperately - right click on desktop, select "properties, choose the "settings" tab.... and you should see that there is screen "1" and "2" make sure you adjust the settings for both of these to what you want...sorry for the horrible instructions, if this isn't enough to fix your problems just post again and I will write something more detailed

the more I understand the MSI board, the more I LOVE it (first loved, then hated it, now back to super love!!)

have you overclocked it yet?

Swede

Post by Swede » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:40 pm

A quick tip, btw - I googled around a bit on the MSI Speedster, and found a german forum where some people where experiencing freezes. And so have I! Suddenly the computer just freezes dead, mouse doesn't move, etc... hard reboot only cure.

But they list a newer BIOS in their forum, v1.3 (1.30), that cures this problem. I have installed it and everything seem to be working fine...

Here's the link, http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthr ... erid=39044 - the BIOS links to msi Japan site.

nzimmers

yes, make sure you download all the new drivers

Post by nzimmers » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:53 pm

I have the new Bios (adds support for C2D) but there is also new firmware for the LAN and a few new drives for graphics and audio and lan (the ones on the driver CD are really old)

never had any problems with the freezing - board is working really really well now

Now I need to find out if a DVI -> HDMI stuff....like will I be able to do 1080P or not with the integrated graphics on the MB

any thoughts?

EFoppen

Bios

Post by EFoppen » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:01 pm

The new bios I got from MSI Netherlands was 1.20. I could not get Vista running properly with it. It hardly booted the OS (but installed fine). After an update to 1.30 (both 1.21 and 1.30 seem to have fixes for Vista) it worked pretty fine, apart from the DVI issues. But will try the suggestions later today! I hope the Vista drivers have something like that.

nzimmers

wow, I didn't have the right bios

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:37 am

I just checked..... only 1.20 is on the USA site. I will give 1.3 a try

humm, MSI should know better

EFoppen

Vista and onboard Graphics

Post by EFoppen » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 am

Still no luck - Vista drivers seem to be different from the XP drivers. In safe mode, I could not find anything you mentioned about selecting the output mode. The driver is really kept as simple as possible.

nzimmers

okay try this

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:57 am

I was afraid that in safe mode the driver configuration was disabled...shoot!

well, this is not a great solution, but it might work

if you have another PC, then maybe try to enable Remote Desktop on your vista computer (MSI Speedster) and then connect to the Vista Computer and I think then you should see the options as I described them earlier

also, you can acess the options if you look at the system tray - the intel graphics icon looks like a blue monitor screen down there, right click on that, hope it works

let me know if it works

EFoppen

Onboard Video Vista

Post by EFoppen » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:15 am

Nope - no luck.

The tray programs won't even start because they require manual intervention. So when I remote desktop in, I see these and confirm a few times. However, no tray.

However, the remote desktop sw runs a 'virtual video adapter' RDPDD. There is nothing I can do about that. I might be able with other remote desktop sw - but then it gets somewhat over the top to get this working.

I guess I need to wait for better drivers, or a .reg file I could import to make DVI the primary output or so.

Swede

Post by Swede » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:17 am

The motherboard manual mentions something about pressing "CTRL-F1" for enabling VGA (if I recall correctly). Have you tried that?

nzimmers

here's some more options

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:35 am

here's some more options:

again, I know exactly what the problem is...your default display output is set to "notebook" and that's what we have to change

I did see the Ctrl+Alt+F1, F2, F3 but that didn't fix anything for me - that's some kind of bios switch and I don't think it even works.

Try one of these:

#1 (not sure if this will work on Vista but here's the basic idea) hit F8 key after bios and select the option that allows you to choose which drivers are loaded step by step - the intel grafix drivers have the " IGFX * * *. *" prefix, don't load those and you might be able to get in

#2 ( I almost tried this) uninstall the video drivers when you are in Remote desktop - I don't know if this will work, but when I had the same problem I was thinking that the default VGA drivers should provide basic display and return the video to the correct setting. then you can reinstall the graphics driver and set it to default. Again, make sure you have a moniter connected to the MSI speedster when you reboot

#3 (this is actually how I did it) Using remote desktop, I downloaded Ultra VNC and installed it. VNC requires a password to enable acting like a VNC server but installing it using remote desktop VNC will not save passwords - so you have to copy and past one registry entry and then you can use VNC to connect to the MSI Speedster and with a monitor attached you should be able to access the Intel Graphics menu. This works pretty well because you may have to use VNC to enable the monitor again in the future and having VNC installed already will be very useful and easy. When I did this the moment I selected changed the output on the graphics Config to "moniter" my moniter suddenly turned right on!! it was a great feeling.

#4 (worst option) Reinstall Vista and when you install the graphics driver make sure you specify that you want moniter as the default single display.

this might work, but you could still have probems in the future if you start the computer without the moniter attached

I will find the exact steps to #3 that I did and post them here

good luck

nzimmers

maybe try this

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:42 am

what about going into safe mode and uninstalling the "Intel Graphics media Accelerator Driver" ?

thsi is what's causing the problem because basically it's meant to be for a laptop that always has a "notebood" LCD display

I would try that either in safe mode or using remote desktop

EFoppen

Post by EFoppen » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:43 am

Already done - but does not help me anything. I still cannot influence the type of output. It is going somewhere in a bitbucket ....

nzimmers

you might have to do the Ultra VNC method

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:46 am

what worked for me was installing ultra VNC, which is a little tricky using Remote Desktop....but doesn't take long

I will post them asap

nzimmers

here's the link

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:47 am

ultra VNC is alto better than remote desktop

linky:

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

nzimmers

well....

Post by nzimmers » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:58 am

It's difficult to find the exact steps to setting up Ultra VNC with remote desktop

Maybe try to install and set the password first in safe mode? I hope that works

you can find more information about installing via Remote desktop at:
http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?p=27391

I am not sure it will work the same in Vista!! I don't have vista so it might not work, you r only chance might be to completely remove the video drivers

EFoppen

Post by EFoppen » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:02 am

What software do I need to have that Intel Graphics Menu - I am afraid there is just none. The Vista drivers might be too simple.