PC upgrade advice needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

iakovl

PC upgrade advice needed

Post by iakovl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:05 am

hi
this is my current system and the up grade i'm thinking of
A64 3000+ => Opteron 165
Sonic tower => ninja
MSI neo 4 plat => Dfi RS482
2*512 A-DATA 500
SP1213C => WD5000YS
WD2500KS
NEC3520 => ?
X300SE =>X800GTO2 + HR-3
420W noisetaker
4*TT thunderblade => 4*120mm Yate Loon

all of this is gonna sit in my new hand made ALU+WOOD case (working on it right now)
the psu is gonna sit in an outside case
i need advice on the DVD-RW issue and general opinions on the system

Howard

Post by Howard » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:35 am

AMD's CPUs are inferior both in max performance and performance/price, if you allow overclocking... perhaps even if you don't.

If you plan to move to Vista, 2GB of memory is definitely recommended.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:08 pm

hm.

vid card is nice and can find passive ones of that type. Problem: not smart shader 3.0 compatible. 4.0 is comming out but like 1% of the population will be using it so no worry (like when farcry was 3.0 and no one cared for 2 years)

id be 3.0 compatible at least at this point. bad time to get a vid card actually. dx 10 is on its way. nothing but the best card that supports 4.0 and dx10 will run it as well.

chip, underpowered for most things, but overpowered for windows and applications. will run cool and quiet. Could easily go fanless with it if you have great in and out case flow. Conroe is the better choice but will cost like 250 dollars more when you are done with everything.

dvd rw? yeah me too, no one has good suggestions. I do believe that higher level Plextors, like the 760A is a solid choice currently. Pioneer had this rubber encased series. I am using it right now but its starting to die after 2 years of running it moderately often. I cannot find its direct replacement from pioneer. costed about 120 dollars.

plextor has Silent drive mode. at least it comes with tools with the model I said to make it smooth. overall, the best one is the one I have but I cannot find its newer model the 111a (theres a crap version of it without rubber and other features. I would trust a plextor to maintain its smoothness and its volume conistency. many dvdrw's sound nice the first week. samsung, lite on, all kinda suck bad.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Seems like you are looking to spend a lot for,in some areas,minor upgrade. Sonic Tower vs Ninja..yeah,Ninja wins---but by just a little. Sonic Tower + $50 beer money>Ninja. You HAVE the Sonic T.

Is the Mobo swich based on overclocking?

Just installed a Lite On DVD for a friend,quieter than the burners I've had.

Since you are doing a system from the ground up....make 2 fans do the job....maybe one.