Seasonic S12 650 in a P180?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yengtensix

Seasonic S12 650 in a P180?

Post by yengtensix » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Well, lets start from the beginning. I just built a new machine with audio production in mind, specs are as follows:

Asus P5B Dlx
E6300
XFX 7600gt PCIe - fanless
Seasonic S12 650w
Barracuda 7200.10 320gb sata x2

Currently I'm using my trusty Antec case (model unknown, its a few years old) with 3x 80mm fans, two of which (rear) are those cheesy antec temperature sensing jobs. They get the job done for a while, that is, until the machine starts to heat up.

In addition to the fans needing to rev up to maintain a decent ambient temp, the drone my machine produces starts to undulate wildly at times. I'm not sure what is causing this, though I've decided that I'm probably going to just step up to a P180.

With that in mind, I'm looking for some cooling opinions for my particular spec in this case. I'm assuming that I'm going to want to give my Seasonic S12 (no external exhaust) some help down in that PSU area...

What kind of fan setup should I start with if I wanted to keep things OC-friendly. I'll probably get a zalman CPU unit for when I actually start to tweak things.

pyogenes

Re: Seasonic S12 650 in a P180?

Post by pyogenes » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:15 pm

yengtensix wrote: Barracuda 7200.10 320gb sata x2
If you can return them, do so. They will be the loudest part of your system my a long shot once you get things straightened out. Loud seeks, loud idle, and an annoying high pitch whine.
In addition to the fans needing to rev up to maintain a decent ambient temp, the drone my machine produces starts to undulate wildly at times. I'm not sure what is causing this, though I've decided that I'm probably going to just step up to a P180.
Most likely resonance. Probably the hard drives vibrating at very close yet different frequencies. Soft mounting drives would get rid of that.
With that in mind, I'm looking for some cooling opinions for my particular spec in this case. I'm assuming that I'm going to want to give my Seasonic S12 (no external exhaust) some help down in that PSU area...
Tape up the vents around the PSU in the rear of the case. that'll cause the PSU fan to pull fresh air from the front of the case and exhaust fromt he PSU fan. That's all you need.
What kind of fan setup should I start with if I wanted to keep things OC-friendly. I'll probably get a zalman CPU unit for when I actually start to tweak things.
Get something like a Scythe Ninja or Thermalright Ultra-120. If you duct them to one of the exhaust fans in the P180 you don't need a fan on the CPU.

yengtensix

Post by yengtensix » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info Joe,

I've found myself suddenly addicted to SPCR :lol: I got my P180b today along with a zalman 9500 CPU cooler. My current intentions are to get things up and running on stock antec tri-cool fans, and look into some of those Noctua's soon! (reccomended vendors, anyone?)

I'm stuck with the Cuda' drives, though I doubt I'll mind so long as they are not vibrating like crazy anymore. I should note that this is my first recording setup, so my needs are far from a 'pro' application; and similarly, I'm not seeking a SPCR dead silent machine... yet :D

I would imagine that with the zalman blowing directly at the rear case fan in conjunction with the top mounted one should keep my main compartment pretty chilly without a front intake fan. Bonus points for the zalman drawing air over my RAM.

Do you think that a the two stock Antec fans on low would do an adequate job of cooling should I want to fire up some games, considering the fanless PCIe card into the equation?

Considering that the S12 PSU has no exhaust fan, if I loaded up the lower HD bay I think I might want to let the stock fan down there windtunnel that chamber so long as I can get the cables to agree. Should I just apply that 120mm fan to upper chamber duty (possibly to aid in the fanless 7600GT?)

-----

I experimented with a mild overclock this week before the 180 arrived. I was able to run my e6300 @ 400fsb (2.8ghz) on stock voltage, stock intel cooling, in my far inferior older antec case. CPU temps hit mid 50's under sustained load. I'm not planning on OC'ing too much further if any once I get things situated in the 180, though I have a feeling I could easily do so if desired.

Also, I have a handfull of generic 120mm fans on hand, though they probably sound like 747's at 12v. Is it worth a shot to try and put one to use and undervolt it, for a 'better than nothing' approach to rig something up for a front intake/vga cooling?

Thanks for your input,

mark