advice for a box for e-mail/i-net/chat

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dustman

advice for a box for e-mail/i-net/chat

Post by dustman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 pm

Hello forum,

I'd like to buy a box which'll be used mostly for mentioned things. Since I don't need serious 3D graphics in any way, good video card for me would be something focusing on 2D and colours. My wife does bit of image editing and I use flash once in awhile. It might also be used as a low-traffic web server.

I've being thinking of Zalman's TNN 300 as a cabinet, VIA C3 cpu, 2 or preferably 3 NICs and whatever gpu is good for 2D. I'd like an advice on what motherboard should be picked and if there cheaper alternative for Zalman's cabinets. Would it be enough place in TNN 300 for two SATA and one optical drive? Or should I go for TNN 500?

VIA C3 is just a wish and maybe TNN is overkill for such cool cpu, but I thought of investing into TNN with idea of being able to customize/upgrade system easily later on. Intel C2D looks like a good alternative but C3's encryption unit is great and would allow dynamic encryption of whole disk w/o much lose in performance. I'd prefer to avoid MS Win if at all possible, so 1Gb ram (2 to 4 later on) should be sufficient for a time.

My flat is rather quiet unless windows are opened (in which case noise from a big road somethintg like 100m away is noticeable due to flat terrain). Normal temperature depends on what's outside but rarely reach above 21C save sunny days or hot summer days ('hot' is relative in Denmark and almost never above 30C).

All thoughts are appreciated.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:55 am

If you go with a Via processor (C7 would give you a lot better performance than C3, but also needs more cooling) the mother board will have integrated video that will be sufficient for your needs unless you need DVI output (Via compatible MBs just come with VGA). Really though, for about the same money as a Via-based solution you could go with a single-core AMD-based solution that would have so much more processing power that the dedicated encryption engine would be moot. The reasons to go with with Via are if you need really low power consumption or a mini-ITX form factor. If you get the right MB you could undervolt an AMD to get close to VIA power consumption while still having quite a performance edge. If you need mini-ITX, there are Pentium M/Core Solo/Core Duo/C2D options out there, but they tend to be very expensive.

I think the Zalman's TNN 300 would be a waste of money for a low power consumption system. Given that the current trend is for lower power consumption components, the idea of a future application seems tenuous. With the ease of cooling a low power CPU, your largest source of noise is likely going to be the PSU fan, so I'd be looking for a quiet solution on that front.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:00 am

http://linutop.com/

280 euro, or about $380 USD

dustman

Post by dustman » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 am

Aris: that one is not an option. I'd need to have dedicated server if I go for one. Beside, I can only see USB ports in the galery. NICs are important since it will be used as NAT/firewall with attached storage device and/or wireless access point.

jessekopelman: your points are good and after all disk encryption on whole disk is probably an overkill for stationary box (but VIA C7 is better if such use is intended imo). I'd like to have as small factor as possible, but two reasonably sized SATA is a must unless I go for dedicated storage device, in which case an extra NIC is required (plus extra socket plus extra space). Faster CPU would be an advantage but not very crucial. El bills is also important consideration. If it's possible to save a bit on monthly basis (since I plan to use it 24/7) I'd go for it even if performance was suboptimal for few tasks.

Any recommendations for motherboard and cpu considering above points?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 am

I'd like to have as small factor as possible
why? The TNN cases are massive (internally and externally).

dustman

Post by dustman » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:32 am

Let me re-phrase it: as small as everything is comfortably sits in and easy to assemble. If there good way to have a fanless box w/o TNN cabinet, I'm all for it. Reliability, noise level and power consumption got priority to size all the time. I've got experience with flaky D-Links and jet-like PCs and want it no more.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:22 am

If there good way to have a fanless box w/o TNN cabinet, I'm all for it.
If TNN case is in your budget you should consider mCubed HFX case also:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... c-caseonly
Any recommendations for motherboard and cpu considering above points?
I would recommend Asrock ALive NF6G-DVI AM2 + AMD X2 3600 AM2.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 pm

jaganath, the HFX prices are deceptive. While you can buy the case for what seems like a reasonable price, you still need to buy the heat pipe kit to make it work. Once you add in that price, the real case price shoots to $500-600! While HFX stuff looks very nice, you certainly pay for it -- even in comparison to expensive stuff like the TNN.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 pm

dustman wrote:Any recommendations for motherboard and cpu considering above points?
If you lived in the US, I'd tell you to buy this and this (I'd try removing the 60mm fans as they are likely to be both noisy and unnecessary for this configuration) along with a Seasonic S12-330. Whether you can get them in Denmark for a good price . . ? Normally I'd recommend a completely different case that comes with a DC-DC PSU and external brick, but you said you need two HD and that one only has room for one. Also, normally I'd recommend a C3 based board, but they tend to only support PATA and you said you wanted SATA.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Sounds to me like a good app for a EE A64X2 on a AMD 690 chipset mATX board. Put it in something like an Antec NSK2400/3400 and you'd have pretty quiet, pretty efficient, yet power when you need it. You can certainly get such systems to run very quietly without much difficulty -- <25 dBA @1m.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:53 am

jessekopelman wrote:jaganath, the HFX prices are deceptive. While you can buy the case for what seems like a reasonable price, you still need to buy the heat pipe kit to make it work. Once you add in that price, the real case price shoots to $500-600! While HFX stuff looks very nice, you certainly pay for it -- even in comparison to expensive stuff like the TNN.
I am 100% aware of that, however in the UK the cheapest TNN case is a minimum of ~$1000, I doubt it will be any cheaper in Denmark, so the OP is obviously not budget-constrained.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:02 am

jessekopelman wrote:(Via compatible MBs just come with VGA)
Not true. I have a EPIA EX10000EG. It has DVI not VGA.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 am

AuraAllan wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:(Via compatible MBs just come with VGA)
Not true. I have a EPIA EX10000EG. It has DVI not VGA.
Yes, I'd meant to write Via C3 compatible MBs. Sorry.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:16 am

I second Mike here. I would go for a Am2 build. Even if you don't need dual core the X2 3600+ is dead cheap now and runs cool. Add a energy efficient AMD 690 board and a NSK 3300 which is quite small, comes with a psu and is also very cheap. As the NSK 3300 is a tower case you might be able mount a passive cooler like the Hr-01.
DDR2 is cheaper than ever thought possible (here in Sweden at least) so it's a good time to buy lots of it.

The nice thing with the Asus 690 board is that you have lots of options when it comes to plug in monitors. As it comes with DVI/VGA/HDMI/Component/Composite.