Which fan filters are best for noise/dust reduction?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Which fan filters are best for noise/dust reduction?

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:05 am

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out which fan filters will be the best and still keep dust and noise low.

I'm looking at the aluminum metal mesh filters, and the basic plastic and foam filters. They will go on front of Nexus 120mm fans at 7v that are sucking through the filters and blowing onto a radiator.

Will the metal filters create more noise than the plastic foam? Are they really better as stated in marketing?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:47 am

bluefront is the master of positive air pressure cases with hepa filtration. search the forum for his builds and see how he does it. Ive never seen anyone do filtration better.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:02 am

Ok....I'll answer this question again. The idea here is to blow filtered/clean air into the computer to keep it clean, and at the same time do it as quietly as possible.

For me this means closing off the front bezel completely.....no airflow inward, or outward. Basically you now have three places for an intake fan/filter....the bottom of the case, the back of the case, or the side cover opposite the CPU heatsink. The reason for this.....you just cannot get a good/big filter behind the front bezel, and have a good/big intake channel. And intakes up front are always audible.....no matter what you do.

You need a big filter with the largest possible surface area. This means a pleated paper type, like a furnace filter. I hardly ever use a HEPA filter. They are too restrictive.

Here's a filter at the rear....

Here's a bottom filter setup

And here's a filter on the side, a 220mm fan sucking through it.

They all run clean and quiet, on positive pressure, using fanless PSUs. There are countless ways to add good filtration. But it's a DIY project. You cannot at this time, buy a case with a good filter setup. The little flat filters you slap over a fan.....work, barely. You want a clean case....you have some work to do.