Acer 24" Wide AL2416WB 5ms LCD TFT - Anybody know anyth

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SlaveToSilence

Acer 24" Wide AL2416WB 5ms LCD TFT - Anybody know anyth

Post by SlaveToSilence » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:14 am

(is this posted in the right place? i couldnt find a catagory for monitors, maybe this is something that the powers-that-be might want to consider?);)

i've just found this monitor:

Acer 24" Wide AL2416WB 5ms LCD TFT

for £245 delivered, is it any good? i will be using it for gaming and films aswell as usual browsing etc, it will be my primary display
i am impressed by the response time considering it is £100-£150 less than any other i've found, but i know theres alot more in it than that..
if it isnt as good as the others, is it really worth the extra £ to get the next cheapest? considering i am on a tight budget

here's the link:

http://www.shop.bt.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4MQY

is it ok to post links to shops? if not i appologise, feel free to edit it (and this) out

Thanks everyone :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:15 pm

It probably is a nice purchase.

however, it has input lag and I could never consider that for competitive gaming. I do not know how much lag though it truly has.

5ms response is meaningless. unless it is a cheap crappy panel made over a year ago, the response times are all meaningless. They all are fine.

that panel is a P-MVA which is good.

price is good.

Find an accurate site that checks the input lag - response time of a frame generated by the computer and you seeing it. meaningless for a movie or for regular use. important for a first person shooter.

most people who spend more than 250 dollars on a LCD do not realize they have terrible lag.

24" LG has only 1 frame of lag, 18-22ms. thats the lowest of its group.

my 26" planar which is much more pricey has less than 11ms lag, incalculable basically none. it is enjoyable for fps's. however, a PVA panel or a MVA panel is often better for movies as it does absolute black better than an H-IPS panel like I have. mine just is color king.

subsonik

Post by subsonik » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:17 pm

I'm afraid this one has a TN panel. Hence, low viewing angle, poor color rendition, etc. Personally, I hate them, especially on large monitors: because of the low viewing angle, the top of your screen has a different color than the bottom. Indeed, your viewing angle towards the top part is quite different from the bottom.

However, this color rendition thing is personal, some people don't seem to notice. Try to take a look at the monitor in a shop.
EDIT: Blah blah, no TN according to the guy above me.

Also, beware, my 24" Acer (with S-IPS panel, by the way) features nasty coil buzz. It is WAY louder than my PC, check my post at the end of this thread: viewtopic.php?t=40737&start=30

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:12 pm

This is a 6ms G2G 24"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240M2) panel...
~El~Jefe~ wrote:It probably is a nice purchase.

however, it has input lag and I could never consider that for competitive gaming. I do not know how much lag though it truly has.

5ms response is meaningless. unless it is a cheap crappy panel made over a year ago, the response times are all meaningless. They all are fine.

that panel is a P-MVA which is good.

price is good.

Find an accurate site that checks the input lag - response time of a frame generated by the computer and you seeing it. meaningless for a movie or for regular use. important for a first person shooter.

most people who spend more than 250 dollars on a LCD do not realize they have terrible lag.

24" LG has only 1 frame of lag, 18-22ms. thats the lowest of its group.

my 26" planar which is much more pricey has less than 11ms lag, incalculable basically none. it is enjoyable for fps's. however, a PVA panel or a MVA panel is often better for movies as it does absolute black better than an H-IPS panel like I have. mine just is color king.
I have an LG L246WP 24" with P-MVA 8ms panel, probably the same you have.. I havent noticed any input lag whatsoever compared to my 21" CRT, but on the 21" NEC 4:3 we have onboard (I work in the navy) its horrible.. havent really noticed the lag on any other monitors tho.
Last edited by Wibla on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Delete this, double post.