Need a new motherboard

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ashex

Need a new motherboard

Post by Ashex » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:55 pm

I currently have an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless that I was giddy to get. But it's been causing issues since I got it.
Right now I've solved everything but one, occasionally the system will begin to freeze up and I have to do a manual reboot. The post will appear but will freeze right before testing the ram, rebooting doesn't solve it and I have to switch off the power supply, wait 10 seconds, then power it on. I had this issue with a BP500, and with my NeoHE500.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a AM2 board? I need at least 4 sata 1 ide, and the usual for a current board. I don't really overclock much either.

I'm also planning on swapping out the fans in my system. I current have some cooler master fans that are nearly silent but still make some noise.
These are 80mm, so I haven't found much in the forums, I checked out the spcr article about fans and I'm looking to get three Thermaltake A1357 to replace them and possibly a Scythe KAZE-JYUNI "SLIP STREAM" 120mm Case Fan to put in the front.

Any have any advice on these or other ones I should be looking at?

beoba

Post by beoba » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Have you tried a ram test? Could be the ram rather than the motherboard.

Boots off a CD: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Ashex

Post by Ashex » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:54 am

beoba wrote:Have you tried a ram test? Could be the ram rather than the motherboard.

Boots off a CD: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

I tried a ramtest. I had OCZ ram before, I did a 12 hour memtest and it came out clean, I bought some new ram and put it in and the issue persisted, I used to manufacturer timings and voltage settings for each to double check, and the new ram is running at manuf specs. Only thing I can think of would be a psu incompatibility. I don't have any extra cards plugged in, just my 7800GT.

I primarily run linux so bad ram would be fairly evident to me. I have the most issues when I'm running windows, as windows will just freeze up, in linux it's not as obvious unless I attach a debugger.

Jokoto

Post by Jokoto » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:15 am

How about trying to eliminate the PSU as the cause if you have a spare you could use for a while?

Ashex

Post by Ashex » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:32 am

Jokoto wrote:How about trying to eliminate the PSU as the cause if you have a spare you could use for a while?

I've already tried that route, I was using a BP500 for about 1 weeks and the bios would occasionally randomly hand on me, I then used an SP500 for about 2 days and still had random hangs (but this was partially due to bad ram timings), and then switched back to a BP500 for another week and finally to the NeoHE500 (gotta love RMA's) . Although I wouldn't be surprised if there were some compatibility issue I'm missing, I've seen other people who use a NeoHE with an M2N32-sli and not had any issues with it.

gentonix

Re: Need a new motherboard

Post by gentonix » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:37 am

Ashex wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on a AM2 board? I need at least 4 sata 1 ide, and the usual for a current board. I don't really overclock much either.
If you're not a serious overclocker, then almost any board will do just fine. I am personally quite satisfied with my Gigabyte GA-M52S-S3P
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mothe ... uctID=2611
Abit AN52 is probably a good choice too. I think it's a good idea to go for a decent low cost AM2 motherboard or some new AM2+ motherboard. High end AM2 boards are not very good value for money right now.

Ashex

Re: Need a new motherboard

Post by Ashex » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:53 am

gentonix wrote:
Ashex wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on a AM2 board? I need at least 4 sata 1 ide, and the usual for a current board. I don't really overclock much either.
If you're not a serious overclocker, then almost any board will do just fine. I am personally quite satisfied with my Gigabyte GA-M52S-S3P
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mothe ... uctID=2611
Abit AN52 is probably a good choice too. I think it's a good idea to go for a decent low cost AM2 motherboard or some new AM2+ motherboard. High end AM2 boards are not very good value for money right now.
Thanks for the recommendations, the AN52 looks very good, newegg doesn't have the gigabyte motherboard though :/. After looking at those two, I realize just how much that asus board spoiled me. They look like they're lacking in the fan connector department, and I power all my fans off the board. All I need to be able to do in terms of overclocking is manually set the ram speed/timings, as half the time the bios gets it wrong. If I'm not able to find something else, I'll probably look into the AN52.

Ashex

Post by Ashex » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:04 pm

I did a bit more research, and the AN52 appears to have two fan connectors, one for system and one for the cpu. This is a bit disconcerting since I'd have to get a fan controller (well, I already was kinda planning on one anyways).

I found the GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4. Which looks to be the same as the GA-M52S-S3P, but with a 570 chipset instead. It looks a bit more tempting to me, I'm considering buying a secondary 7800GT and doing sli with it, but the power consumption has made me hesitant to do so.

Does anyone have experience with the gigabyte motherboard or another 570 board?