New Build Advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

deeopey

New Build Advice

Post by deeopey » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 am

Hi guys I've just set up a new system based mostly on advice from here with a few economisations.

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz (possibly due to be bumped to 3.0GHz)
Gigabyte GeForce 8800 GT
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler
AcoustiFan DustProof Quiet 120mm Fan
Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU
2 * Noctua NF-S12 800RPM 120mm Case Fan

Antec P182 Super Midi Tower Case

I am curious about your thoughts on my fan and HD layout.

I know the loudest components on my setup now will be the GPU which might need a better cooled ducting fan (It just has a flower style one at the moment) and the PSU (may pickup a Corsair one day) but I am hoping for the moment to make improvements for minimum cost (at least until I've paid off this lot :) )

muptup

Post by muptup » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:31 pm

That's me above, I've lost contact with that account.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:07 am

I would rather get a E8xxx series CPU and an
Enermax modu82+ PSU http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page5.html

The mobo should be compatible with E8xxx series CPU (I haven't checked if yours are). Gigabyte and Asus are my favourite mobo brands. Pick one that is not too expensive but good "quality" and possibly energy saving.

If you don't game often a mobo with onboard graphics might save you some dissipated power and some electricity bills. You'll have to remove your graphics card when you don't game to economize energy. At the same time your fans can run slower (=more silent) if there is less heat produced (from GPU energy dissipation).

Get a very silent harddrive. You might still need to enclose it an suspend it. If you will enclose it, low HDD power consumption is good (=less heat). It is harder to get rid of the HDD heat when it is enclosed.