Developer PC, need some sugestions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ksmigrodzki

Developer PC, need some sugestions

Post by ksmigrodzki » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:32 am

Hello,

I plan to upgrade my development rig. I want it be very quiet on idle.

I think the new PC will be built around:
  • Q9450 CPU
  • 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz CL4
  • GF 9600GT (Linux compatibility, FlightGear in mind)
  • P35 motherboard, with LPT port or head, Asus, Gigabyte and Intel are the only options, as my supplier do not have Abit boards.
  • 1TB HDD
From my old rig i will cannibalise:
  • P182 case
  • Corsair 450W PSU
  • Scythe Quiet Drive
  • 4x Fander 120mm Fan
Can you suggest proper MB/CPU Heatsink combination? I've heard about problems with Gigabyte DS4 and Ninjas...

Any other suggestions (but no WC this season).

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Why in god's name would you want an important (read: non-gaming) computer without RAID-1?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:37 pm

I agree with matija. RAID 1 is definitely important for data you actually care about. Right now, there's a significant difference in price between 1Tb and 750Gb. Personally, I would go with Western Digital's 5400-to-7200rpm drives (they come in 500, 750, and 1000Gb capacities) in 750Gb form, and run them in RAID 1. The P35 mainboards are great choices, but shiould you decide to go RAID (which most of us who've been around computer and have lost data), pick a mainboard with the Intel ICH9R southbridge. Some of the cheaper P35 boards come with the ICH9 southbridge, but the only difference is RAID support. Either way, RAID is easy, thanks to Linux. It's a CLI tool called mdadm. On Ubuntu/Debian-based, It's

# apt-get install mdadm

I do think you'd be wallet-raped for that CPU. If I'm not mistaken, the Q9 series, the "Q" means it's a Quad core (which of course is only necessary if you're applications are heavily multii-threaded), and the "9xxx" just means that is has an unlocked multiplier. This is great for OCing (at least it was back when every overclocker had an 939 Opteron). Not sure about the new Intels, as I'm still rockin my Athlon64 3500+. It works fine for Debian Lenny/Sid.

I would go with one of the Intel's E8 series. It's the evolution of the E6 series, but built on a 45nm process, as opposed to 65nm.

As far as video cards go, the 9600GT is a good choice, but the G92 based 8800GT/GTS cards and ATI's Radeon HD 3850/3870 all will outperform it as of now. I know ATI drivers are fudgy in Linux, but they're getting better. Never had any trouble back with Ubuntu 5.10 and my X700 Pro, but I never had 3D stuff enabled.

For curiosity's sake, what distro are you using?

The rest of the list looks good.

I hope I was of some help.

Jangel

Post by Jangel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Actually, the Q9450 doesn't have an unlocked multiplier. The Q9*** just signifies that it is a Penryn 45nm quad core. Intel quad-core processors with unlocked mulitpliers are designated with QX****

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Jangel wrote:Actually, the Q9450 doesn't have an unlocked multiplier. The Q9*** just signifies that it is a Penryn 45nm quad core. Intel quad-core processors with unlocked mulitpliers are designated with QX****
My bad. Thanks Jangel.

ksmigrodzki

Post by ksmigrodzki » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 am

I'm using Ubuntu, since Warty.
that Linux guy wrote:I agree with matija. RAID 1 is definitely important for data you actually care about.

I don't care about data on that computer, all important data are in SVN repositories on "server" computer at the attic. There is RAID1 for SVN and RAID0 for torrents :-)
Quad core (which of course is only necessary if you're applications are heavily multii-threaded)
Any decent build system can run multiple compiler instances. I'll need few virtual machines to test apps on different OSes.
This is great for OCing
Don't care about OC.
As far as video cards go, the 9600GT is a good choice, but the G92 based 8800GT/GTS cards and ATI's Radeon HD 3850/3870 all will outperform it as of now.
AFAIK fglrx drivers for X sucks for now, and 8800GT needs active cooling or WC.

There is still one open question, which MB and CPU Heatsink?

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:18 am

I'm not sure on the mainboards. It seems to me that only about 2/3 of ASUS customers get a fully functional board, so I would suggest MSI or Gigabyte. I'm buying an Abit myself, but you said you can't get one from your distributor, so recommending the IP35-e is out. I've had an MSI board for sometime now and it's been great, with Linux, BSD, Solaris 10, and Windows XP. Gigabyte is one of the most popular mainboard makers for mid-range boards so I would give them a good look before deciding on something else.

As for the CPU cooler, many here will suggest the Thermalright Ultra 120 or Ultra 120 Xtreme, but SPCR is the only site I've found that rates that cooler above some of the offerings from Scythe and Zalman. Zalman makes good cooler, particularly their CNPS-9500. I've heard great things about. Many others are using the Scythe Ninja, and the Thermalright Ultra 120, while a select handful have gone against the grain and using the Scythe Infinity. I'm personally likeing the new Scythe Zipang. 140mm fan, 1000rpm, 21 Db, 6x 8mm heatpipes... what's not to love?

Solid Snake

Post by Solid Snake » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 am

Get an rsync backup routine going first, then worry about RAID, or just do both at once. I have a server downstairs that has RAID1, and my workstation has two momentus drives in a RAID1. The biggest reason for RAID1 is system drives. Backing up files and documents is easy and they can be easily recovered, but losing a year's worth of binaries, drivers, customizations, etc on a Linux system is a royal PITA, and so is the downtime. Skimping on a $100 drive is not worth the weeks it would take me to get that machine the way I'd want it again.

I will suggest to you what I did:

Workstation: 2x 2.5" HD in a RAID
Server: rsynced JBOD / RAID

It's important to understand that RAID is not backup!

The mistake I made yesterday, RAID would not have saved me from. I spent months working on a music synthesizer, and out of pure stupidity I typed:

gcc synthdriver.c -o synthdriver.c

Yes, I stupidly overwrote the source with the binary, and the RAID happily wiped out the file on both drives simultaneously. If I wasn't doing nightly backups onto the server downstairs, I'd be in a rubber room talking to myself right now.

Backup first, then RAID1.