HP's L7000 series printers too loud?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

line
*Lifetime Patron*

HP's L7000 series printers too loud?

Post by line » Mon May 19, 2008 1:09 am

Hi,

I consider buying one model from HP's L7000 multifunction series for use in home environment. Yeah, I know about the size -- the footprint is definitely not small, but that I can pass up. The model numbers in this series vary depending on auxiliary features and can be one of L7550 ,L7580, L7590, L7650, L7680, L7750 or L7780, but all share the same print and scan mechanism.

I've read a number of user reviews and while users praise the device's print and scan quality, they often complain about noise, saying the device is a bit too unsettling while printing.

I was wondering what SPCR users would say about this. Is it really that bad? Can anyone upload a recording?

Aside from the print noise, an L7680 owner I spoke with said that his device periodically wakes up, sometimes in midnight, to perform some kind of a self-calibration routine. Anyone experienced that?

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 am

Many of the printers are developed a lot more focused on pages per minute than they are on noise, so I think that for this audience, most would be considered loud.

HP sells a couple single function printers that have a "quiet mode". In the 6940 series, it can be selected from the driver and on the 6980 there is also a button. It will slow down a little, but be much quieter.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 am

The reason I'm worried is that these complaints come straight from the mainstream. Just about every other review on this series lists noise as a shortcoming.

One user has even gone so far as to say that "it is almost as if it were designed to make the most noise possible, and it shakes itself and my desk with every print and scan." I've seen the L7580 in a shop, it's a relatively bulky device, and I would imagine it would be terrible if it got to the point of shaking itself on one's desk. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try it hands-on. Surely that would be the best way to determine if noise would be a deal breaker.

There's a lot to like about this series, it's the most cost-effective inkjet out there and it packs a lot of useful features like built-in fax, built-in NIC and a CCFL-based scanner that produces excellent scans. More advanced models also support a feature HP calls Direct Digital Filing that lets you scan a document directly to a memory card or network share. It is also relatively power efficient as it idles at below 10W. I find it alarming that the noise spoils the deal for so many people. It sounds like HP has gone overboard this time.

Thanks for the tip on the "quiet mode". I hope HP will support it in more models in the future.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 am

My dad has such an HP unit. Yes it is big, but it works brilliantly, scanning printing etc.

There is a counter balance in the printer for the printing heads, so it doesn't shake that much. It stands on a sturdy table, haven't seen anything shake or tremble, and it is certainly not moving away ;)
It is fast, bloody fast in economy mode, and indeed (one of) the most cost-effective inktjet printer.

When it isn't printing it is silent.
When printing it makes the usual inkt jet noises, I have heard better and worse. But because it prints fast, you don't hear it that long ;).
The big question is how long and how often you print during the day, once a day 30 pages or every 20 minutes one page?