How to get idle below 45C

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

suhbehgee

How to get idle below 45C

Post by suhbehgee » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:24 pm

First off, thanks to SPCR and it's community for all the great info. I originally just wanted to make my system a little quieter, but now I'm a little obsessive compulsive on the whole cool/quiet thing.

Anyway, here's the short of it. After investing in new case fan/HSF/power supply i still can't get my idle temp below 45C unless i run the the fans full out. Ambient temp is around 25C. Full load hits 64C. Currently using Speedfan to keep temps in a reasonable range, but this with the fans running at 1600RPM (quieter than before but still noticeable).

Specs:
Processor: Intel P4 530 Prescott 3Ghz
Mobo: Intel 915gag
Case: Gateway 505GH mini-tower
Memory: 2 x Mushkin 1Gb PC3200 (new)
Case fan (rear) : Scythe Kama 92mm (new)
CPU HSF: Scthe mini-ninja with 92mm Kama (new)
PS: PC Power/Cooling Silencer 470 (new)
Graphics: ASUS 6600GT with Actic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2+Turbo mod (new)

Want to get new cpu/mobo/case but wife/2 kids/mortage/car payments puts Daddy's wants far down on the list.

Here's a pic of the innards:

As you can see, the HSF takes up a lot of space. There's about 5mm between the HS and the power supply. I also had to move the ram from slots 1/3 to slots 2/4, remove the heat spreader from the slot 2 ram, and remove the dimm clip from slot 1 to get the Scythe fan to fit properly. Because of this the ram in slot 2 is close to covering about an eighth of the HS fan. Here's a pic:

The original HSF had a funnel from the side panel for top down cooling. You can see the side panel vents from here:

Here's my questions:

1) From what I've read the P4 Prescotts always run hot. Is this the best i can expect or would a larger case help cooling?

2) I've tried covering the side panel vents so the case draws air from the front/bottom instead of the side, but temps stay the same. Is there something i'm missing?

3) I'd rather not, but would an intake fan at the front help the situation?

Any feedback is appreciated.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:55 am

1) From what I've read the P4 Prescotts always run hot. Is this the best i can expect or would a larger case help cooling?
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only place that Prescott belongs is the bin. with the money that you've already spent on improved HSF/fans/PSU etc you could have bought a cool and quiet CPU (such as E2140/60/80 or even Celeron Dual Core E1200) and cheap S775 motherboard/RAM. because these chips are so cool, the stock heatsink works fine and the fan stays at a low speed.

suhbehgee

Post by suhbehgee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:31 am

Yeah, I know it ain't much, but for the time being it still serves the purpose. I don't game much any more (hence the 6600gt) so the system is used primarily for surfing. Getting the system cool and quiet is more a hobby than a necessity. I'm actually going to use the new parts in a new system when funds allow me to buy the CPU/mobo/case.

When I do get a new mobo I'm still going to use the Prescott and see how much I can OC it. That's another thing I'd like to start trying out, but with the Intel board I have now it's obviously a no-go. I'd like to try and get as much life as possible out of the P4 as I can (at least until the quad core extremes drop below $1000.....).

bartman

Post by bartman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:21 am

Quad cores are just pointless if you're on a budget.

The only things that take advantage of them are some games and even those are better served using a much faster dual core CPU which you can buy for considerably less money than a quad.

Some latter day Prescotts already support EIST. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep is Intel's automatic underclocking technology when the CPU is idle. It started out in laptops but can now now be found in all modern desktop CPUs also. If your CPU supports it (try matching it with the linked table) you should be able to find a driver on intel's website which will do this for you in Windows.

Sorry if my english seems strange, I'm not a native speaker.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:18 am

Your CPU will always run hot. They were designed with the sole intention is killing the ozone layer and melting anything within a foot of it.
If your intent on keeping it then i think your going to have to accept those temps (which btw arent bad and perfectly within oeprating ranges), any more effort to get those temps down you'll find yourself spending more than the cost of a new CPU, just to shave off a few degrees.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:40 pm

Your CPU will always run hot. They were designed with the sole intention of killing the ozone layer and melting anything within a foot of it.
:lol: QFT