Replacing my mac mini server

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matzon

Replacing my mac mini server

Post by Matzon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:04 am

I am planning on "upgrading" my mac mini, which I use as a server (web, mail, irc, file etc).
It's been working fine, but its time to upgrade it to something more "future" proof.

So far this is what I am putting together:
Case: NSK1380
PSU: Included
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
CPU: Core 2 Duo, E8200
Graphics: Embedded
Ram: 2x1GB (Corsair XMS2)
Storage: WD Scorpio WD1200BEVS

This seems to be a pretty nice (and cheap setup) - however I have the following concerns:

Which HSF should I use? - Scythe Shuriken?
Should I go for a solution that uses picoPSU? (a lot more expensive setup).
Should I replace the Fan in the PSU?

I do not expect to have any heat issues with this setup :roll: - despite the known issues with this case (not having a graphics card in there and "low" load on cpu)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:08 pm

You could halve the processing power of that setup and you wouldnt notice, that would save you some £££, likewise do the same thing with the RAM, get branded "value" RAM. My server doesnt break sweat delivering data across the LAN @ 30+ MB/s with more than one stream running from more than one drive, and thats a single core 4000+, with half the memory bandwidth. The slowest dual core CPU will finds its workload very easy - save yourself some cash, if you want to go above the bottom (I would) get an E7200, its cheap, quick and a fair bit cooler than the E8xxx range as it has less cache.

Also have a browse through the forums RE: the NSK-1380, the problems, the temps, especially for the HDD(s).

Andy

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 pm

You can run single channel RAM. Get 1GB, unless you have other plans for the server that may actually tax it, or just want to grab RAM because it's cheap.

I would say to go as low as E2180 for CPU. A nice PIII will handle everything you claim to be using it for with CPU cycles to spare. The E2180 will loaf, but have some oomph if you need it.

Given my experience with Intel P35 (G33 w/o IGP), though, don't save on the mobo too much. The chipset is too solid to skimp on for a 9xx.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Or, you could just hack your mac and install a cpu upgrade, etc...

another link
yet another

Matzon

Post by Matzon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:07 am

I dont like the upgrade the mac solution, since that doesn't really help me in the future as I will still be limited to the somewhat limited motherboard on the mini.

I need at least 2 GB ram since I plan to run some application server on it (Glassfish). Switching to no name ram is really not needed, the price saving is negligible.

My primary reason for choosing the E8200 was to get a 45nm which is cooler - I was not aware of the E7200, I will look into this model - though its not a lot cheaper :(.

I run some nighly IRC log parsing as well as some other log parsing which is really taxing, so I do need the CPU time.