Intel or AMD, can't make a decision

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Intel or AMD, can't make a decision

Post by ryboto » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:19 am

So, I'm going to splurge soon. Basically, I'm going to get a new motherboard and processor. I've already decided on the boards, it will be one of these,

DFI LP-JR-P45-T2RS/LP-JR-790GX-M2RS

Now, I like these boards because of the option to add a second video card(I probably wont do this for a while, maybe next generation), the fancy PWM, and they're mATX. I was just looking for a board with the most recent chipset tech, that isn't the high end, or full size ATX version.

Regardless, my dilemma is simple. Intel, or AMD? The P45 board probably uses more power than the 790GX. Then again, the Intel CPU I'm considering is the E8400, a relatively power frugal processor. The 790GX ought to work fine with the 45nm K10 processors, so there's a plus for AMD, but is the perf./watt going to be that much better with K10?

So, would it make more sense to go intel, the DFI board+E8400, or get the 790GX board, and either keep my current CPU, or get a low power K8 and wait and hope AMD releases a power friendly quad core in the near future?

I know the DFI boards are only announced as of yet, still, if I don't settle on a motherboard now, I'll go crazy with all of the options when it comes time to buy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:40 am

If you're a gamer, and it seems like you are if you're planning on getting a second graphics card, I'd go with the most economical solution for you to save as much money as possible. The cpu really doesn't make that much of a difference in gaming. I'd stick with your current cpu and save that money on a better graphics card(s). You'd see a much better performance boost there.
Traditionally I've stuck with AMD not only because I've used them all along, but also because I don't want the hassle of overclocking an Intel cpu.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks for the input. Yes, I game, and I do like high quality settings, 1680x1050 resolution, and at those settings the GPU is the limiting factor, not the CPU. My only concern is future AM2/+ processors and whether or not they'll be more power efficient than Intel alternatives.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:58 pm

So, I was on newegg, and now I'm considering the X2 5400+ Black Edition. It's a G2 revision, 65W 2.8ghz processor with an unlocked multiplier, only $2 more than the standard. There's a promo code for $10 off, and it has free 3-day shipping. So, $80 shipped. I'm almost swayed into sticking with AMD since the comparably priced Intel parts would require the more expensive version of the board I'm considering. The 5400 could at least hold me over until a lower priced, low power draw Quad core is available. Maybe it could do 3.0ghz while slightly undervolted?

I'd like to wait for the E5xxx series to be launched, I imagine AMD will drop prices slightly to match the price/perf.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:06 am

AMD's "advantage" is that many games are not that demanding on CPU but demands a lot in GPU. AMD's motherboards offer a lot cheaper CrossFire than Intel counterparts. You can get AMD motherboard with 2x 16x Lane PCI-E working as 16x CF less than 100$. While Intel CF boards inted to cost 150$ and then you get 8x CF in most cases...

Intels Advantage is excellent processor architetchture and unbeatable gaming performance per watt in 8x00 series. Intels CPU's inted to have much better overlocking and raw power when you go mainstream and enthusiast range.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:07 am

thejamppa wrote:AMD's "advantage" is that many games are not that demanding on CPU but demands a lot in GPU. AMD's motherboards offer a lot cheaper CrossFire than Intel counterparts. You can get AMD motherboard with 2x 16x Lane PCI-E working as 16x CF less than 100$. While Intel CF boards inted to cost 150$ and then you get 8x CF in most cases...

Intels Advantage is excellent processor architetchture and unbeatable gaming performance per watt in 8x00 series. Intels CPU's inted to have much better overlocking and raw power when you go mainstream and enthusiast range.

I understand the differences, I just need to make a decision. I guess a deciding factor should be that the system only consume ~180W DC when fully(CPU+GPU) loaded. As it is right now, when my PC folds with the GPU and CPU, it consumes ~150-160W AC. The E8400 sounds amazing, but it's a little more expensive, and the motherboard will cost about the same. Then again, it wont use much power. At the same time, neither would an undervolted X2, but the AMD has ~400mhz performance deficit. I'm still not sure. If the power consumption of the X3's isn't terrible, I'd even consider those, as K10 closes the performance gap slightly.

Rebellious

:)

Post by Rebellious » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 am

AMD mobos come with a heatsink-mounting socket that's ready to use, Intel mobos have just 4 holes so you get better ventilation. Also, with Intel you can experiment with screws, springs and plastic pushpins, bend your mobo to test its strength, and try out innovative "retention brackets". AMD processors have a FLAT top so the heatsink makes good contact, but with Intel you can have more fun trying to fit a flat heatsink on a rounded CPU

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:09 am

I'm probably just going to wait for the board to be released, and jump on the E8400. Is the E8400 worth it over an E7200?

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm

The only reason I would go AMD now is out of pity, or if I would be building a system with IGP only (don't know why I would do that). The Intel chips just OC so much better and thus offer much more value. Not to even mention they are 45nm and use less power.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Scoop wrote:The only reason I would go AMD now is out of pity, or if I would be building a system with IGP only (don't know why I would do that). The Intel chips just OC so much better and thus offer much more value. Not to even mention they are 45nm and use less power.
The power consumption is what's drawing me to Intel. At the same time, I would be very interested in building an AMD HTPC with a low power K8 or Sempron and a 780G or 790GX board.