AcoustiPack, Asaka, or Dynamat?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KyleSTL
Patron of SPCR

AcoustiPack, Asaka, or Dynamat?

Post by KyleSTL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi, I was wondering what the consensus is on acoustic dampening in cases. I have a Lian Li PC-7 case with 6 fans (2x120mm Scythe SS 800, 1x120mm Scythe SS 1900, Zalman VF700 GPU cooler, 1x120mm Scythe SS 1200 - on Ninja, and a 2000?rpm Scythe 80mm). All the fans are on the lowest setting using 2 Silverstone fan controllers. I also have 3 HDDs (1x120GB WD PATA, 1x250 WD PATA, and 1xWD6400AAKS) and a XClio Greatpower 550W.

Because it would be very easy with my case, I want to put acoustic batting on the sides and inside the front face (and other places, space and dampening material permitting).

Here are links to the candidates:
AcoustiPack Ultimate
Akasa PaxMate
Dynamat Xtreme Computer Kit

Please let me know if you've used any/all of these materials and how they compare.
Mike, I'm sure you have a vast amount of experience with this kind of stuff and I would appreciate your expertise.

Thanks in advance for your help.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi,

Akasa PaxMate is basicly nothing more but branded BitumiMat what you can from any carshop or similar. Acoustic pack usually includes defferent kinds of matts. Usually they have bitumimat with different thickness noise absorption material attached to the bitumi mat.

Akasa is only good adding mass and helping deadding case rattling and vibrations. But it really doesn't help in deadening sound and it smells horrible for few days.

I have no experience of Dynamat.

I think AcousticPack is more expensive but it also deadens noise a lot better...

KyleSTL
Patron of SPCR

Post by KyleSTL » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:54 pm

I've been leaning toward the DynaMat pack, as they have been the clear leader in automotive noise attenuation for years. I think I'd definitely trust their products. I think I'll eliminate Asaka for the time being, unless someone comes along with success stories with it.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:38 am

Dynamat Extreme with some Dynaliner on top is probably the best idea by far. Or Extremeliner is even better if you don't mind the price.. One pack of Dynaliner should be good for two computers, so it's not terribly expensive but still pretty pricey. Also Dynamat is usually cheaper if you buy the bigger packs. Edit: Those computer kits seem awfully small to be honest, 4 sq.ft is just about 60x60cm which is quite small, and that´s the larger pack.

Also while silencing your computer you could order enough stuff to make your car more quiet too :lol: If you want a more affordable alternative to Dynamat that is very nearly as good have a look at RAAMmat from Raam Audio. Excellent stuff, very reasonable price and superb customer service. I have some in my car and some computers, good stuff. over 60 sq.ft for under 120$.

I just got my pack of Acoustipack Ultimate, and to be honest it looks pretty pathetic, the thicker mat is about as thick as the thinner mat used to be in the older Deluxe kit. Though they do say the material is much improved, but its so damn thin i cant see it doing much good at lower frequencies. It will add some mass to the panels, but that's not much either.

The Acoustipack blocks are still nice stuff though :P

KyleSTL
Patron of SPCR

Decision Made

Post by KyleSTL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 am

I will be purchasing two Dynamat Extreme packs for covering the left, right, top and front of my Lian Li case. It should run ~50-60USD. Each sheet will be cut for the side with enough remainder (~450x310mm) to cover the top and front. I will post my thoughts when I am done. At this time I don't think Dynaliner or Dynapad is necessary, but who knows how I'll feel in a couple weeks.