Which TV card?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psymanproductions

Which TV card?

Post by psymanproductions » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:49 am

hi all, im looking to buy a TV card for my pc 'cos we cant afford sky anymore :( so basicaly i would like a few recomendations and tips to set me in the right direction as i am totaly new to the world of tv cards

the pc is running vista ultimate x64 and is in the living room connected to the tv, idealy the card would be compatable with the vista media centre and come with a media centre compatable remote, unless there is someting better than media centre?

dvb-s freesat seems like the best option for me as my terrestrial aerial has fell of the roof :roll: but my satalite dish is fully working, im watching sky from it now.

as the whole family will be using this, ease of use and stability are very important.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/product ... ahds2.html

the card in the link looks like what i need, any one had experience with it

ACook

Post by ACook » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:15 am

TechnoTrend Budget S2-3200 dvb-s2 works fine here, getting all bbc and other freesat stuff from 28.2e, on xp32bit.

I do believe when researching mediacenter that mce has probs with dvbs, so don't know if it will work. Im' not using a mediasystem.

try MediaPortal, free windows system.

wywywywy

Post by wywywywy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:35 am

Freesat works correctly with Vista Media Center + TV Pack 2008.
With a hacked DLL you can also get BBC HD.
ITV HD doesn't work yet.

If you plan to use Media Center, I wouldn't get anything other than Hauppauge.