Help me find an mATX board

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

discopanda

Help me find an mATX board

Post by discopanda » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi guys. I'm looking for a mATX MB for an HTPC. I don't want or need any regular PCI slots but do need 3 PCI-e slots (a 16 and 2 1's).

I need to fit three pci-e cards in there. I'll have an Nvidia 8600GTS with a zalman cooler so I'll lose the adjacent slot. Taking that into account, I need clear access to another two PCI-E slots.

Needs to support an Intel Q9550 processor and I'd prefer if it was a manufacturer I could trust. Asus?

This is proving tough. Anyone know of such a board?

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:21 pm

I don't think such a board exists. mATX boards have at most, two PCI-E 1x slots, but one of them is always located directly underneath the 16x slot.

jw68

Post by jw68 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:07 pm

If you are just looking for a pure HTPC, then today's IGP solutions such as the GeForce 9300 for Intel is more than adequate. It will be cheaper and will use less energy as well. With an IGP you will have full access to all the slots. GeForce 9300 boards should be available soon.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:21 pm

All I've seen are PCI-x 1x, 16x, 1x or PCI, PCI starting from the top of the board. 4 slots total.

You might have to rethink your setup to use an ATX board or switch one of your 1x cards to a PCI.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:18 pm

The only possibility I can think of is the DFI LanParty P45 MATX board.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =MB-049-DF

Not 100% sure if it'd work, but you could have the 8600GTS in the bottom PCI-E slot, then the other two cards above. However, it's designed for Crossfire, so I'm not sure how it would work with a graphics card combined with a non-graphics card.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:18 am

mentawl wrote:The only possibility I can think of is the DFI LanParty P45 MATX board.

Not 100% sure if it'd work, but you could have the 8600GTS in the bottom PCI-E slot, then the other two cards above. However, it's designed for Crossfire, so I'm not sure how it would work with a graphics card combined with a non-graphics card.
Should be fine if you put the graphics card in the second x16 slot.

discopanda

Post by discopanda » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a think about what to do.

discopanda

Post by discopanda » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:44 pm

FartingBob wrote:
mentawl wrote:The only possibility I can think of is the DFI LanParty P45 MATX board.

Silly question Bob, but which one is the second slot? And why should it matter as they are both x16 slots?

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:50 pm

That DFI motherboard might work, but you've really got two contradictory goals. A full-on gaming computer might require you to use a full-ATX board to get all your expansion options in. On the other hand, a modern HTPC generally doesn't use a fire-breathing quad-core and a midrange graphics card, it uses a slow, efficient dual-core and onboard video (or very low-end, passively cooled video).

Best of luck, but you've set an awfully hard task for yourself. There are full-ATX HTPC cases available, so if you intend to play high-end games on your HDTV, you might want to step the size up a bit.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:56 pm

discopanda wrote:
FartingBob wrote:

Silly question Bob, but which one is the second slot? And why should it matter as they are both x16 slots?
If you think of it in the usual position with the CPU up top, you have the top x16 slot and the x1 slot below it for your PCIe x1 cards. The GPU can go in the bottom slot, and it would only cover up the PCI slot which you said you dont need. This way you can fit your 3 cards in without covering any needed ones up.