Best Cases for the Intel DG45FC M-ITX MOBO?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DaveD

Best Cases for the Intel DG45FC M-ITX MOBO?

Post by DaveD » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 pm

I am very interested in building a PC using the Intel DG45FC MOBO. I plan on using all internal components (HDD, optical drive[slim style is fine if needed], etc). CPU of choice is the E7200, and plan on using 2 sticks of RAM. A PICO 120 PS would be fine, as this is going to be used for business purposes, and will not be used for any gaming, but an ATX PS is fine also, if the best cases use it. However, I am looking for a case that is shoebox shaped, as it will sit on top of my mid-tower case. An inch or so wider than the mid-tower might be acceptable. Even as tall as a Shuttle XPS case is fine, but probably a little over-kill on height. The noise factor is very important to me, I HATE noise! I just purchased (linked through SPCR of course) and received an Antec Solo from Endpcnoise with the insulation installed to move the guts out of my older Antec BQE case and into it as the HDD seek noise is killing me. Does anyone here have experience building M-ITX MOBO systems? Your help will be appreciated.

P.S. Mike C., are you planning any reviews on M-ITX based cases? I think with Intel's latest M-ITX MOBO, the time is about right.

Thanks,

Dave

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:23 am

It's a difficult area. Most tiny cases are designed just to be tiny. Often both thermals and acoustics are poor. Then, because it's so small, the only place to put it is on the desk next to the monitor, making the noise so much more audible. It's because the roots of these cases are industrial and commercial -- where they're embedded in places like touchscreen kiosks, game machines (pinball, anyone?) etc; low noise is not an goal, the ambient acoustic is high.

2 main issues --

1) Can the CPU can be cooled adequately w/o much noise? This implies room enough for a large heatsink and/or at least 80mm fan. Tough to get in a tiny box. This suggests passive cooling, perhaps with the case being part of the heatsink.

2) Can the HDD be softmounted? To me, this is just as important. With most small cases it's almost impossible -- but if there's room for a 3.5" drive, then a 2.5" drive can be suspended.

A few case makers have talked about sending me mITX case samples, but nothing yet. Coolermaster actually has some decent looking passive ones for mITX, but seem to have no channel distribution.
http://ecd.coolermaster.com/english/pro ... stomdesign

There is an mCubed mITX fanless system awaiting review in the lab right now, too. Its only noise is the notebook HDD:
http://www.hifiatx.com/hfx.php?lang=EN
http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/pro ... cts_id=257
These cases are not cheap -- 179euro! (w/o with PSU, but w/ heatpipe cooling system, etc.)

You might do well to study the case offerings here (US resellers) --

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.87/.f
http://www.logicsupply.com/categories/cases

DaveD

Thanks for the reply

Post by DaveD » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Mike, I agree that most tiny cases are designed just to be tiny. I have the feeling that eventually there is going to be a market for m-ITX systems in main stream computing, especially if we see more m-ITX MOBOs like Intel's DG45FC. After all, Dell sells some very small PCs. Now is what we need is a m-ITX MOBO based on nVidia's GeForce 9300 chipset.
Maybe the case manufacturers will eventually give us m-ITX cases geared for home/office use.
You have pointed out two main issues:

1) Can the CPU be cooled adequately w/o much noise? This implies room enough for a large heatsink and/or at least 80mm fan. Tough to get in a tiny box. This suggests passive cooling, perhaps with the case being part of the heatsink.

This is the reason I am planning on using the Intel E7200 CPU. I have seen on SPCR how much lower wattage it draws, and how much cooler it runs. From idle to all-out, it performs exceptionally well. However, I am not knowledgeable in Intel's complete line-up of processors. I am sure there are cooler running ones, but they are probably fairly gutless. But I am also sure that for a business machine, the E7200 is overkill. But I want to ensure that I have enough processing power for video conferencing and using Webex.com's services glitch-free. In any case, this CPU should be easy to cool.

2) Can the HDD be softmounted? To me, this is just as important. With most small cases it's almost impossible -- but if there's room for a 3.5" drive, then a 2.5" drive can be suspended.

I will only need one 2.5" drive for this build. I doubt that I will need anything larger than 160GB. I could probably get by easily with 80GB.
You are right. Whichever case I get, the HDD must be either soft-mounted or suspended. I HATE HDD noise!

Here is a case that might work for me:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/3777

I very much like the fact that it uses a built-in 150W DC board with an external 150W AC adapter (brick) for a power supply. It uses two 60mm chassis fans. With a swap for a couple of Nexus fans, this case might be quiet enough. Keep in mind it will sit on top of my Solo case next to my desk. This will also help with the noise. It also has two USB ports on the front. It doesn't look like too bad of a case.

But then there is this case:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/venus_668b

Now this is more my style, big and roomy (in comparison). It has plenty of front access (2 x USB 2.0, 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
Audio (line-in, mic) ). This case has more front options than my dead Shuttle SNP25 (I'm glad it's dead, this is the noisiest PC I have ever owned). I will never own another PC that uses proprietary hardware. On the down side it has an interrnal 200W PS and two 40mm rear chassis fans. But there is room for two 3.5" HDDs, so installing a 2.5" HDD and making it quiet shouldn't bo too difficult. It also isn't much wider than the Solo, so it should sit nicely on top of it.
This case obviously wouldn't be very quiet in stock form. But it might be able to be modded. Start by removing the internal 200W PS and using the same PS that the PC listed above uses. This might allow for a decent size HSF to be used. Then remove the two 40mm rear chassis fans leaving that space open for rear air intake. Where the PSU was located, install a Nexus case fan in its place, as large of a fan that opening will allow. This case also has two expansion slots. The only thing I can think of to add here might be WiFi. It looks like the case might be able to handle a fan mod in either side of it.

Mike, what do you think about it? It looks like this case is very close in size to my SNP25, which is about the size I am looking for, and it is very well equipped up front, but looks like it needs a lot of modding to make it an acceptable (quiet) business PC.

Then again, maybe you could get together with Antec again and design a killer m-ITX case... :idea: Hmm, the Mini-P180...

Mike, thanks for the links, your input and the time you took to reply, I very much appreciate it.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 pm

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/3777 -- a variant of this case is sold by Silverstone. We reviewed it and found it very wanting -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/article701-page1.html

You're right about the second case. Replace the PSU with a PicoPSU and an 80mm fan, and you'd be off and running. Not a cheap solution, however.

You could also just pick up an old non-working Shuttle on ebay along with a picopsu and achieve the same thing -- with some hacking & fundging, which you'll be doing anyway. Here's one for just $60 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shuttle-XPC-Case-SN ... 240%3A1318

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:29 am

Mike, I took a look at the Shuttle case on eBay you pointed out. This might be a viable option. Do you know if this case will align with the m-ITX form factor MOBO? The Intel DG45FC has one PCI Express* x1 bus add-in card connector, so this case should allow the use of it if it aligns with the expansion slot openings on the back of the Shuttle, as I plan on using WIFI, but I would like to add bluetooth also.

You have just placed a review on the Dell Studio Hybrid PC. Other than it being too loud and a little too expensive, it is a nice set-up. In that review, you put together a m-ITX system to use as a comarison of what a SPCR DIY reader could put together. The components used are extremely close to what I have in mind. In the comparison, it looks pretty good. It just needs a nice case to go in.

You also referred to a review of the Asus Eee Box B202. This actually looks pretty good to me, as it is very small, energy efficient and VERY QUIET! However, it is just a little under-powered. But it sounds like the Asus Eee Box B204 might be just the ticket.

Specifications:

Model B204

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home

CPU
Intel Atom N270 (1.6GHz)

Chipset
Intel Chipset

Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 3400 series with 256MB DDR2 memory

DIMM
DDR2 SO-DIMM 1GB

Storage
160GB HDD SATA II 5,400rpm
10GB Eee Storage

Card Reader
SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro/MMC

Bluetooth
Yes

Wireless
802.11n

LAN
10/100/1000Mbps

Audio Chip
Realtek ALC662 Azalia CODEC

Rear I/O
Giga LAN x 1, USB 2.0 x 4

Video out: HDMI port x1 / DVI-D port (through adapter)
Audio ports x 1 (with S/PDIF out)

Other
Built-in battery that performs a U.P.S. function

Accessories
Remote control, stylish stand and 36W adapter

As you can see, it has both WiFi and bluetooth already in it, which is a big plus.
If I were to buy it, I would end up removing the XP Home Edition and installing XP Pro. If I had a copy of Vista Business or Ultimate, I might use that though.

Do you have any idea when it will hit the market? It looks like it might be worth looking at. It's just too bad that is is not going to have the dual core CPU.

Thanks,

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 am

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 am

The first will probably be thermally challenged. If you push an Intel Atom board hard in that thing, the NB will get super hot.

The second looks much better thermally, tho the front mounted fan would have to be going pretty slow (ditto the PSU fan) if it is going to be quiet.

DaveD -- afaik, the width of the shuttle (and similar) sff cases is right for mITX, and the screw pattern looks like 3 of the 4 will fit. The one exception is the far left (viewed from the back) -- but this is probably easy to deal with if you're a modder. We're looking at doing a modding article on this topic. Mebbe. Time is always an issue.

croddie

Post by croddie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 am

I think the ideal case would have a single fan, an 80 or 90mm system fan, for the entire system (120mm ideal but I doubt that would ever happen).
It would really be a simple design: a box with an 80mm hole in the back and room for a CPU heatsink, slots for a motherboard, a slot for a hard drive, maybe a slim tray for optical, maybe not, and that's it.
The SG05 comes close (with an external PSU like the picopsu). How effective is a front system fan?

Mota

Post by Mota » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 am

Next year I will be making a couple of HTPC frontends for my family, and I will be using the DG45FC too. I've searched for nice cases and found one from Morex. I think it might be something for you too... I found this review for it:
http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/3688/default.asp?page=1

I actually like it's twin more (3677), but couldn't find a review for that particular one.

I got a question though - What could be done to reduce noice and the risk of building up heat in a case with such limited cooling?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Mota wrote:Next year I will be making a couple of HTPC frontends for my family, and I will be using the DG45FC too. I've searched for nice cases and found one from Morex. I think it might be something for you too... I found this review for it:
http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/3688/default.asp?page=1

I actually like it's twin more (3677), but couldn't find a review for that particular one.

I got a question though - What could be done to reduce noice and the risk of building up heat in a case with such limited cooling?
Aside from the fact that it's small, I'm not sure it has much going for it. I guess I shouldn't judge before a close examination, but a 60x60x10mm fan... it'd have to spin pretty fast to move any air. Personally, I don't want anything smaller than an 80mm fan in my systems unless it's barely moving -- and then very smoothly.

The only other noise source is the HDD, and if a quiet laptop drive can be softmounted, that's about the best you can do -- other than going to a SDD, with its attendant cost and still unresolved stuttering issue with cheapr ones.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:19 pm

MikeC wrote:I guess I shouldn't judge before a close examination, but a 60x60x10mm fan... it'd have to spin pretty fast to move any air.
That fan is pretty bad. I had that case some time ago.
IIRC then fan starts @ ~5V but the noise characteristics is grindy/clicky even @ ~5V.
And no, it doesn't move a whole lot of air when not running full speed.

DaveD

HP Pavilion Slimline case

Post by DaveD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:36 am

fwki, thanks for the links. The Morex t3500b pro has got to be one of the best looking cases I have ever seen, but there isn't any room for PCI expansion slots, plus it is passively cooled which might not work. The SUGO SG05 has much more room, plus has the PCI expansion slots. However, I'd be afraid of the front fan, as there is no baffling for it.
The Morex Cubid 3688 Mini-ITX case that Mota pointed out (thanks Mota) is another good looking case, just a little too small, which doesn't allow for the PCI expansion slots. I will need these as I will add WIFI and bluetooth.
However, I found on eBay the HP Pavilion Slimline case for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0308100634

Does anyone have any information on this case? It is being sold completely bare, but he is also selling the PS for it separately:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Hewlett-Packard ... 240%3A1318

It looks to me that this PS would be noisy though. However, I would still like to use a PS from Mini-Box.com anyway. The case has two expansion slots, but I can't tell if they are half or full height. Best Buy sells this PC, I should go measure the expansion slots to be sure. But maybe the height doesn't matter. I haven't looked for expansion cards for the WIFI and bluetooth yet. It could be possible to get these in half height. I am aware I could use a USB bluetooth plug-in device, but I would much rather it be internal to the PC.
My only other concern is the CPU heatsink. I will use the Intel E-7200, more than likely. Has anyone heard anything about the E-7400 with the R0 stepping? I am curious if it is more efficient than the M0 stepping of the E-7200. I am sure that there must be a very good silent or almost silent cooler that will work with this PC case and the CPUs specified. This case probably can't even handle the Ninja-Mini. I would like to go with passive cooling for the CPU though.

Thanks for the replies from all of you. I very much enjoy reading them and checking out the links you provide.

MikeC, I wouldn't have a problem at all modifying the shuttle case for the m-ITX board. Re-locating a stand-off would be easy. As long as the PCI expansion slots line up, all would be well.

What is frustrating is that sitting on my desk right now is a Shuttle SN25P with a dead PS. Unfortunately, this is such a proprietary set-up that the two expansion slots are on the other side of the PC. This would be just a little bit more modifying than I want to get in to. I definitely do not want to use the MOBO that is in this case, so just going to an external PS is not the answer. I want to run something that is more efficient than the socket 939 that is in it. It doesn't even have integrated graphics, which I want.

Thanks again,

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 am

That HP case will probably work but not with the PSU, which is more or less guaranteed to be noisy & inefficient.

Coolermaster has promised to deliver a review sample of their Universal Thermal Chassis in the near future w/cooling hardware for an Intel Atom mITX board. In essensce, it's similar in design to just about every other small fanless heasink case out there, including the mCubed. I saw and inquired about it at a trades show in Silicon Valley earlier in the year, and it's taken that long for the industrial/OEM division of the company to respond.

No idea what retail pricing might be, as it's almost certainly going to be sold the way OEM PSUs and fans are. I'm sure distribution is not going to be very wide, and the price will depend much more on the cost of the individual reseller and the markup desired. My guess is that if it is successfully sold to system integrators, then the retail price will be higher, just to keep the SIs happy. Right now, though, I know of no ready-made systems using this case.

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Mike, I checked out your link to the Universal Thermal Chassis, thanks. In the specs, it does list the dual core Atom (Intel D945GCLF 2) as one of the accepted boards, which is good.

If I were to go with the HP Pavilion Slimline case, I would definitely use a Pico PSU or the PW-200-V with the Dell DA-2 brick. It sure is a great looking case, though.

As far as the Morex t3500B that fwki brought to my attention, I am now actually considering getting it in the future to put the Intel D945GCLF 2 in as a hobbiest project. Or maybe one of the other cases brought to my attention, like the Morex Cubid 3688 by Mota. It doesn't hurt to take on a project to relax with.

DaveD

Intel DG45FC MOBO set-up

Post by DaveD » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Well, I did it. I got the Intel DG45FC MOBO, an E7300 CPU (if I rember right, at the time it was either the same price or cheaper than the E7200) and 4GB of Crucial RAM, a picoPSU 120 with the 8.5A AC/DC PS , a Hitachi Travelstar 7K320-160 HTS723216L9A360 2.5" 160 GB HDD, the HP Slimline case and a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I haven't received all of the listed items yet, but I do have the MOBO, CPU, RAM and the Windows Vista. The picoPSU should be here either today or Friday. I am not sure when the case will arrive, but I did receive a notice from USPS that they have been contacted about the shipment. I got that notice Monday, but that doesn't mean that it has shipped yet. The HDD is on back-order at Buy.com, and I think it is on back-order everywhere.

However, if I get the itch bad enough, I have a donated (and very much dead) emachines C1641 mini-tower case I can put all of this stuff into, and I have a spare Antec PS that is in the unused Antec SLK3700BQE case I have sitting around (I could use this case, but that just wouldn't be right putting such a tiny MOBO in such a big case, it just sounds too creepy, kind of like Chucky dating a real-life full-grown woman), and I have a few Samsung HD040GJ HDDs sitting around I could use. Is what this means is I certainly have everything I need to put this system together to get it up and running. I think that after I receive the HP case, it might be a little while until it will be ready to go, as I must manufacture a fill plate for the empty PS mounting spot. I do not know if this case takes a regular or half-height optical drive. If it takes a half-height, I will have to order one. I will also need to take measurements of the inside of the case to determine which HSFs will fit inside. That will not hold up the build though, as I still have the stock one that came with the CPU.

And then there are the other parts I ordered. I will give you a hint as to what I am up to with this other build by saying that I have a Thermalright HR-01 Plus Heatsink sitting here. I will go into depth on this one at a later date.

Mike or Devon, do you have any information on the acoustics of the Hitachi Travelstar 7K320-160 HTS723216L9A360 2.5" 160 GB HDD? I haven't been able to find out much about this one. By looking at the Hitachi web site, it seems about the same as the 7K200 series. I did notice that the 7K320-160 has only one disk, where the 7K200-160 has two, and the 7K320 has a Media Transfer Rate almost double that of the 7K200-160, but this is probably one of those specs that doesn't make any real-world difference. Here is the link to the comparison of the two:

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/e ... 2016K9A300

Thanks,