Cheap, Small, Quiet & Cool

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bondiablo

Cheap, Small, Quiet & Cool

Post by bondiablo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm trying to put together a cheap system for a friend and could use some recommendations for a cube style mATX case and a CPU heatsink that will fit in it. I like the look of the Apevia Qpack but the quality of those seems iffy, especially the PSU. I'm trying to keep the total around $250.

So far all I have is the RAM, MB and CPU for about $80 after rebates. Here are the other parts I'm thinking of including. Initially I won't be adding a video card but would like to include a PSU that can handle at least up to an Nvidia 9800GT. Also, I do have a spare Thermalright SI 128 laying around but doubt it will fit in the type of case I'm looking for.

Case SilverStone SUGO SG02-F?
PSU Coolmax CU-400B?
MB ECS G31T-M Intel G31
CPU Intel E5200 2.5GHz Dual Core
HS Silverstone NT06-E?
RAM Crucial Ballistix 2x 1GB DDR2 1066 BL2KIT12864AA106A
HDD WD SATA 80GB 7200rpm WD800JD
DVD Pioneer 20x SATA DVD+/-RW DVR-216D
FDD Samsung 1.44MB 3.5"
Modem Trendnet TFM-PCIV92A 56Kbps
Last edited by bondiablo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

QuietOC

Re: Cheap, Small, Quiet & Cool

Post by QuietOC » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm

bondiablo wrote:Initially I won't be including a video card but would like to include a PSU that can handle at least up to an Nvidia 9800GT. Also, I do have a spare Thermalright SI 128 laying around but doubt it will fit in the type of case I'm looking for.

Case ???
PSU ???
Heatsink ???
I haven't tried a Qpack--and it certainly does look to be poor quality--however it appears to use a standard size ATX PS, so that could always be changed. It might even be fairly easy to modify for use with a standard tower heatsink.

A 9800GT shouldn't require too much power--though it seems it uses alot more than a 8800GT for some reason--maybe a little over 100W peak.

protellect

Post by protellect » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:26 pm

I hear this Thermaltake LANBOX case is poular.

I also like this Lian-Li Case, its "Cube"

I'm currently using this one for a file server.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:59 pm

the Apevia Q-Pack is a nightmare. my sister has one, yes it does use a standard PSU, but you have to be careful about the length, there is not much room for anything better. you're better off with the Antec NSK1300 or something like that. the QPack doesn't have much room, and it is horrible to modify.

if you're going to keep a floppy, you might want to look into a combo drive, so you have a card reader as well, that is, if you ever use a card reader.

the QPack doesn't have much room for a better heatsink, even a Mini Ninja would be a very tight squeeze, if it even does fit.

other than that, the build looks solid. not necessarily an aggressive addition, but well-minded in todays economy.

bondiablo

Post by bondiablo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:46 pm

I found a couple more cases that look interesting. Anyone have experience with these?

AeroCool M40
Silverstone SG02B

The Lian Li is too expensive, Thermaltake uses 60mm fans and Antec only has 1 external bay and I'd probably have to replace the PSU.
Last edited by bondiablo on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bondiablo

Post by bondiablo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 am

The Qpack2 is tempting since it has more room,a 120mm fan and would keep me under budget but I think I may go with the SilverStone SUGO SG02-F case and a Coolmax CU-400B PSU, one of the least expensive modular PSUs I could find.

I still need a heatsink though. Silverstone makes one specifically for that case, the NT06-E which is designed to be cooled by the PSU but it seems expensive at $50. Is there another heatsink that might be better for less? The maximum height is 82mm and the PSU is directly above that. The stock Intel HSF will fit but how loud is the stock cooler for the e5200?