Help making HTPC silent

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AdvWar

Help making HTPC silent

Post by AdvWar » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:17 am

Hello, I recently built a HTPC, and it is much too noisy for my liking, especially as it is in a bedroom. The parts list is as follows:

CPU- AMD 4850e
Cooler- Scythe Shuriken
HDD-Western Digital 6400AAKS
ODD-Song SATA
Case-Antec Micro Fusion
PSU-Included with case, Antec MT-350
Motherboard- Abit A-78SH
RAM-2GB Crucial
Case fans-2x80mm Tricool exhaust, 1x80mm Tricool intake

As far as I can tell, the source of most of this noise is the PSU, but I'm unsure how I would go about replacing this as the case is unsuitable for fitting standard ATX PSUs. Aside from this, how are these parts regarded in terms of noise, and how would I go about silencing my HTPC? Thanks in advance for any help given.

j

Post by j » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 am

I'd try replacing the PSU with a PICO PSU and maybe some 80mm Nexus fans to replace the tricools (I haven't used the 80mm tricools but I'm not a fan of the 120mm ones).

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:34 am

Easy way to ID fans--stick a drinking straw or Q-Tip into the blades to stop them. If a lot of noise goes away, well, you just found a noisy fan. If it is the psu, putting a Nexus 80mm in should be relatively easy. Hmm...actually you need a 80x15mm fan which might make it a little trickier.

The Tri-cools are set to Low correct?

kieran45

Post by kieran45 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:22 pm

I have the same case, and am just about to replace the PSU with a picoPSU (or more likely a pw-200-m). The plan is to then move the intake fan to the PSU intake hole, giveing the left side of my board, and my tuner cards some much needed airflow.

I have found that in that case, there is very little if any airflow at the PCI cards, as the 2x80mm on the CPU side of the mobo just don't move enough air.

AdvWar

Post by AdvWar » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:36 am

Yes, the Tricools are set on low, but are still fairly noisy. The majority of the noise is being produced by the three case fans, and most importantly, the PSU. Any recommendations for three very quiet 80mm case fans?

In regards to the PSU, I'm not sure replacing the fan is a possibility, due to its strange size of 80mm by 15mm, which leaves me with little options. Replacing the PSU doesn't seem to be an option either, as an ATX PSU won't fit into the case. Any suggestions?

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm

AdvWar wrote:Yes, the Tricools are set on low, but are still fairly noisy. The majority of the noise is being produced by the three case fans, and most importantly, the PSU. Any recommendations for three very quiet 80mm case fans?

In regards to the PSU, I'm not sure replacing the fan is a possibility, due to its strange size of 80mm by 15mm, which leaves me with little options. Replacing the PSU doesn't seem to be an option either, as an ATX PSU won't fit into the case. Any suggestions?
The picoPSU or the other suggestions made are power brick based methods. Use an external power brick to do the AC-DC conversion and then just a small pluggable circuit power board that splits it to the different voltages.
Not sure if you knew that or not, but that would resolve the problem as far as size and silence are concerned.

Also http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/#main-page 80x15mm on front page. Supposed to be a good shop for fans in the UK, but I've never bought anything from there.

Good luck.