Case, PSU and fan suggestions please

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ochief

Case, PSU and fan suggestions please

Post by ochief » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:39 am

The pc I am about to build is based around using an AMD 5050e cpu and an, ATI HD4670 and would like some suggestions for Case, PSU and cooling. I would ideally like the case to be as small as possible but know that impares airflow so whatever size is appropriate. I have an Antec P180 at the moment which although relatively quiet is massive and ways a small elephant so would like something much smaller.

The pc will be used as an HTPC/Gaming PC, more focused on being an HTPC though.

My budget is about £180 inlucding all fans (including for gpu), case and psu.

Thank you for any suggestions.

ochief

Post by ochief » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:01 am

Would a Antec NSK3480 be big enough and offer enough airflow to cool this system appropriately?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:14 am

NSK3480 is fairly enough for such a mid-end system. In fact, NSK3480 can accommodate much better systems anyway. As for PSU, Nexus 430W/Corsair CX400W/Enermax Pro 385W/Seasonic S12-II 330W/380W are my recommendations. Finally, I'd first give AMD stock cpu cooling a try which is decent providing that your motherboard can lower the fan speed. 3rd coolers such as Xigmatek 1283, Thermalright Ultra-120 are good candidates assuming that stock cooling is too noisy to your ears.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:50 am

Ochief, judging by the parts you've already got in mind, it sounds like you're on the right track.

The Antec cases I've used have been great in terms of quiet when paired with good fans. Get a single 1200rpm Scythe Slipstream for exhaust and you should be set. If it's still too loud, start undervolting it.

Several popular Antec cases use 92mm intake fans, but I wouldn't suggest using it. I'm running hotter hardware than what you're going for and my only case fan is a 1k rpm Nexus RealSilent. I had 2x 92mm intakes from Nexus, but they were louder than I liked. Undervolting would've worked fine, but I just never got around to getting a fan controller. They're mounted, but unplugged at the moment. Much quieter.

ochief

Post by ochief » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:28 am

Thank you for your advice. I was thinking of only one 120mm for exhaust a decent cpu fan ie a ninja sycthe or whatever they are called and an accelero for a gpu. 'm hoping that will be quiet enough without having to replace the psu.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am

ochief wrote:Thank you for your advice. I was thinking of only one 120mm for exhaust a decent cpu fan ie a ninja sycthe or whatever they are called and an accelero for a gpu. 'm hoping that will be quiet enough without having to replace the psu.
You could easily run the single case fan, Scythe Ninja2 fanless on the CPU, and an Accelero S1 or S2 passively on the GPU. I doubt you'll have a problem with the PSU. I have an Antec NeoHE 550w and I never hear the PSU fan ramp up. Even running Orthos and Furmark for load testing, or gaming, or just sitting. there. Not a peep.